does Blackberry's Andoid OS have backdoors or other **** to collect data about commercial users /companies?

protects blackberry user data from being collected and evaluated by google?
    02-15-19 08:06 AM
    That's a question that relies on having trust in the answer of those providing it. BlackBerry has consistently noted they do not have any backdoors in their products.

BlackBerry Products Do Not Have Backdoors. Full stop. | Inside BlackBerry

People will argue back and forth over it, no doubt. But no one here can say with 100% certainty either way.
    02-15-19 09:29 AM
    Google doesn't need back doors to collect what they want. You let them through the front door by signing up with them in the first place. It's right there in their terms of service.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and Jake2826 like this.
    02-15-19 09:55 AM
    It is not the device. The Apps are spying and monitoring you and send the data. On BlackBerry Android you have the chance to minimize the danger. All you must do is investing time and looking for the permissions and the background activity of each app.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    02-15-19 10:22 AM
    It is not the device. The Apps are spying and monitoring you and send the data. On BlackBerry Android you have the chance to minimize the danger. All you must do is investing time and looking for the permissions and the background activity of each app.
    Thats ANY android, not just BB
    Jake2826 likes this.
    02-15-19 10:48 AM
    Thats ANY android, not just BB
    But BB has more: https://us.blackberry.com/smartphone...re-smartphones
    02-15-19 10:52 AM
    Sorta but permission control is a base android function. BB doesnt allow anymore access than what android makes available. BB does have some other security aspects but most all are under the hood and not seen or controlled.
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    02-15-19 10:57 AM
    If they had a backdoor, the devices would easily be taken advantage of via exploits, leading to the ability to root.

Until any ever exist, that won't happen.

Submitted via blackberry passport on freedom mobile HSPA+ or LTE
    02-25-19 09:07 PM
    This depends on a variety of things, there a lot of Android models that are not "rootable", a lot of the carrier locked Androids from the USA for example are not.

Just becase there is not root available doesn't mean there isn't a back door.
    02-26-19 12:43 AM
    are my business contacts protected from whatsapp if I have installed whatsapp only in private mode?
    02-26-19 02:17 PM
    If they had a backdoor, the devices would easily be taken advantage of via exploits, leading to the ability to root.

Until any ever exist, that won't happen.

Submitted via blackberry passport on freedom mobile HSPA+ or LTE
    There is a difference in access to data and access to the very heart of the OS....

I will say that Russia is spending billions so that they don't have to use a US made mobile operating system. Clearly they aren't sure there isn't a backdoor...

But I don't think Google is in the Governmental or Corporate espionage game. So I don't thing there are any "backdoors" that are there on purpose. Nor do I think Google is collecting any data that is really "usable" against me "personally".

Commercial users... lot's of tools included in a good UEM to limit how the companies data is accessed.
    02-26-19 02:37 PM
    Russia isn't spending billions - they don't have billions to spend. California has a larger economy than Russia.
    02-26-19 03:59 PM
    Russia isn't spending billions - they don't have billions to spend. California has a larger economy than Russia.
    Maybe my conversion was off...

The new OS is still going to be based on Jolla’s Sailfish OS, but the only difference will be the lack of support for Android apps. The Russian government is planning to transfer around 8 million users to Aurora OS run devices, and the process should be done by 2021. The whole transition process should cost the Russians around 160.2 billion rubles.

Of course that for the whole "process" that might include new hardware and the all the people and software needed to manage all those devices.
    02-27-19 07:29 AM