Dear all,

I am a BB user for a year now and loving it. I first tried it using BIS but the need to sync PIM was quite important for me professionally, so I decided to go for the solution BES+hosted BES server and exchange, which I am happy with, except for the price.

I ran through a problem lately, that is my service provider (BASE/KPN in Belgium) started charging me for blackberry data use (about 40 euros per month), which they claim are not related to BES server.
    So my question is the following (sorry if redundant, but could not find the answer): does the BES data plan covers BIS features (BIS email and surfing, youtube...) or does one need BES and BIS?

Thanks a lot for you help,
    07-07-10 04:04 AM
    BES includes BIS. I have a BES plan hooked up through work and I have my gmail account added, surf online, Youtube, apps, etc.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-10 06:08 AM
    I'm almost certain that all data is routed through the BES server. That's the basis for the BES functionality of the BES Admin being able to monitor and control all the phone's features including data usage and web sites visited.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    07-07-10 07:39 AM
    THanks, they have spotted the problem, they actually removed the BES data plan from my monthly plan, so I had to actually pay per mb of use in addition to the 25eur/mb. They corrected their mistakes. But I didn't know that all traffic was routing though the BES server and nothing via BIS? I thought you could modify this depending on the app or when you choose blackberry browser/internet browser/hotspot browser from the browser?
    07-07-10 12:00 PM
    I can't authoritatively answer whether data transmitted while on Wi-Fi passes through the BES server. Hopefully a BES admin will weigh in here, but I believe that on BES *everything* goes through BES - text, BES email, BIS email, BBM, data, everything. That's what makes BES so attractive to many corporations: they have full control over what a phone can do, and when in doubt, they can monitor virtually everything.
    07-08-10 06:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD