Hello everyone. I'm writing this post to see what the BB community thinks about this subject. I have owned 3 BBs, the Curve 8330, the Curve 8530 and the Tour. These days I see other devices with Android, Palm OS and iPhone that seem to me that they perform some processes faster and more effectively than the BBs. All three platforms offer more functional applications. I also notice the gaming, web browsing, and executive fuctions been done faster. I'm a loyal Crackberry because when I found the 8330 I noticed that at the time it did stuff nobody had in the market. I honestly refuse to give up my BB but at the same time I feel the BBs are not keeping up with the competition. I read on other threads that OS 6.0 should bring BBs more functional. Does anybody feel that the BB kingdom might fall apart only keeping a very small section of the market.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-10 05:11 PM
    Rims future is the same as it's current market...the corporate business where data security rules. They will never have all the games and apps that you find on other smart phones. If you find yourself wanting that, you should go get one. My son has a droid and he loves that thing. I've played with it as well and it's a great device.
    04-07-10 05:56 PM
    I travel for work and see 10 to 1 more blackberries than any other phone. There are a few Androids and iPhones, but not in the hands of business people. RIM owns the corporate market where the focus isn't cutesy little games and apps - but solid reliable email delivery and communication. My company (Fortune top 5) won't even let iphones on the network or get email.

RIM has a solid hold on the corporate world.
    04-07-10 07:11 PM
    Too many people compare BlackBerrys to the other smart phones. They target different audiences all together, and luckily for RIM, not many other companies target their market. How many other manufacturers focus on making
    communication devices with small, battery efficient screens and actual physical keypads? Probably just Nokia, and they're the current world leader. That's the real prize for RIM, not the small niche market that expensive feature-filled touchscreen phones claim.

Last edited by Masahiro; 04-07-10 at 07:23 PM.
    04-07-10 07:20 PM
    The problem is RIM is not on track with the latest technology. yes they will always have the corp business market. But, once Microsoft, Google or Apple figures out how to make a secure business smartphone you'll see RIMs market share for business start to drop. The same kids, teens, and young adults that like the cool smartphones of today are going to want similar phones for business. if RIM can't pull in the young crowd and keep them interested the future of RIM doesn't look so good. The old business buyers are eventually going to die off
    04-07-10 07:37 PM
    The problem is RIM is not on track with the latest technology. yes they will always have the corp business market. But, once Microsoft, Google or Apple figures out how to make a secure business smartphone you'll see RIMs market share for business start to drop. The same kids, teens, and young adults that like the cool smartphones of today are going to want similar phones for business. if RIM can't pull in the young crowd and keep them interested the future of RIM doesn't look so good. The old business buyers are eventually going to die off
    Tthe blackberries are solid phones hardware wise, their security is great and Real Time email is the only one in the market. RIM's future is lookin in pretty good shape. They are not that concerned to make a phone for blondies.

I know for a fact that RIM is pouring a lot of R&D man power to get the OS in good shape, where they are lagging behind.
    04-07-10 07:46 PM
    Yes, IMHO. Among the young wanting the best texting phones around and all who want a real workhorse without bells and whistles. There are lots of people who want the PDA experience along with a fine phone. And nothing beats a physical keyboard.

Improve the OS and browser and RIM will have a place in the American market as well as around the world.

04-07-10 07:47 PM
    Tthe blackberries are solid phones hardware wise, their security is great and Real Time email is the only one in the market. RIM's future is lookin in pretty good shape. They are not that concerned to make a phone for blondies.

I know for a fact that RIM is pouring a lot of R&D man power to get the OS in good shape, where they are lagging behind.
    that's there problem they're cocky and not concerned that companies like Apple, Google or Microsoft can't touch there market. That's why where have sub standard devices. How many tweaks can RIM possibly make to the 9000 and 8000 line. its a joke, they release a for without wifi only to release the same similar phone 6-12mons later with wifi. RIM basically has 3 phones and if they were to release a phone with all the features it should have people would realize that RIM is not as creative as you think. We got the same phone designs with a touch pad. no major improvements or anything to WOW about. I would love to see a competitor make a Business phone more secure or just as secure as the BB so RIM can step there game up. they're slacking cause they have no competition, without competition companies like RIM because lazy and cocky.
    04-07-10 07:53 PM
    They do attract the younger crowd through its superior messaging abilities (unmatched keyboard) and BBM. Some plans here in Canada only include unlimited email and messaging instead of full data for cheaper.

04-07-10 07:56 PM
    I'm 22, my BB using friends love their BBs (Both S1's) and I'm rocking a 8530. I showed them both how to use a BB correctly and they have been happy as can be. My only friend with a Droid just cracked his screen by pressing it. No joke, I was sitting next to him and it just cracked from being pressed.

People love fun apps, people love flash, and some people love substance. I don't wanna play pinball, or take a photo of space and find Mars, ect. I wanna text, call, and check my Facebook from time to time without all the BS.
    04-07-10 08:58 PM
    I'm 22, my BB using friends love their BBs (Both S1's) and I'm rocking a 8530. I showed them both how to use a BB correctly and they have been happy as can be. My only friend with a Droid just cracked his screen by pressing it. No joke, I was sitting next to him and it just cracked from being pressed.

People love fun apps, people love flash, and some people love substance. I don't wanna play pinball, or take a photo of space and find Mars, ect. I wanna text, call, and check my Facebook from time to time without all the BS.
    My friend who has an Eris says...Droid does....whatever it wants to...it reboots..you have to have an app...to close all the other apps!...WTF is that? Oh but my BB sucks...LOL!
    04-07-10 09:03 PM
    I mean the Droid is a nice phone, the Eris just isn't my taste and the Pre and Pixi I'm afraid of getting cut on. (joke)

Something about BB loyalty is amazing.
    04-07-10 09:05 PM
    I have had activated and played with almost every smartphone on the market, but BB will always have my heart. It has always been the most reliable. I can always count on getting my emails, and FB notifications and BBMs. I guess those are just my personal priorities. I can only play with applications like google sky map for like a day before I get bored.... lol
    04-07-10 09:46 PM
    I have had activated and played with almost every smartphone on the market, but BB will always have my heart. It has always been the most reliable. I can always count on getting my emails, and FB notifications and BBMs. I guess those are just my personal priorities. I can only play with applications like google sky map for like a day before I get bored.... lol
    I was gonna avoid saying it, but this is a good example of fads. People go back to what works and whats comfortable.

I know how many icons over such and such is and what is where on menus without looking. I really don't wanna learn it all again to this comfort level.
    04-07-10 09:57 PM
    My friend who has an Eris says...Droid does....whatever it wants to...it reboots..you have to have an app...to close all the other apps!...WTF is that? Oh but my BB sucks...LOL!
    It's his fault for buying an outdated, slow last-generation Android phone. Your cheap friend should have bought the Droid.

RIM has advertising on their side. Advertising is the best way to sell. Palm had horrible advertising for a great product (Pre), and see where that got Palm. I'm personally moving to Android and the HTC Evo 4G because it fits my needs better, just like a lot of BlackBerry users moved back to BB from iPhone because it fits their needs better. RIM certainly isn't in any danger for another year, they're not like Palm before webOS or Microsoft before WP7 right now. But they need to at least make the OS look a little better, text-only menus are a bit bland and don't sell very well. Also, RIM making a good touchscreen platform would be great. The Storm is a joke.
    04-07-10 10:36 PM
    that's there problem they're cocky and not concerned that companies like Apple, Google or Microsoft can't touch there market. That's why where have sub standard devices. How many tweaks can RIM possibly make to the 9000 and 8000 line. its a joke, they release a for without wifi only to release the same similar phone 6-12mons later with wifi. RIM basically has 3 phones and if they were to release a phone with all the features it should have people would realize that RIM is not as creative as you think. We got the same phone designs with a touch pad. no major improvements or anything to WOW about. I would love to see a competitor make a Business phone more secure or just as secure as the BB so RIM can step there game up. they're slacking cause they have no competition, without competition companies like RIM because lazy and cocky.
    Using your words, the iPhone would follow the same as RIM. All 3 generations are the same design, same os with no major improvements. I dont understand your point?
    04-07-10 11:26 PM
    You make an interesting point. Will the kids of today, who will become the business people of tomorrow, stick with RIM or demand changes. They are used to using the slicker UI and, I predict, it will find it's way into the business market. It might take 10 years or more but it will happen. Technology needs to advance and it won't always be only about "email and security".
    04-08-10 07:50 AM
    Using your words, the iPhone would follow the same as RIM. All 3 generations are the same design, same os with no major improvements. I dont understand your point?
    Exactly, and people are starting to say "Ok, where's the flash, where's this, where's that, maybe the OS needs a change." People are getting restless. I guaranteee if the fourth Gen iPhone is like the difference between the 3G and the 3GS (ie, next to nothing), more people will start to shift off it. You can only stay top dog so long doing the exact same thing over and over. You have to change it up to keep on top or you're predictable and boring.

This happened to regular cellphones.. Same features, nothing new ever came. SMS, phone calls. Webmail / Email kinda.

Then RIM bust in on the consumer market, Nokia bust in, Windows, Apple, etc, and now how many people aged 18+ do you see without a smartphone? People demanded more from their devices, and new companies offered it instead of LG, Sony, Motorola, etc. It happens when things get stale.

I can't wait for stuff to change up.
    Last edited by GlitchZero; 04-08-10 at 09:57 AM.
    04-08-10 09:54 AM
    Coming from someone who has gone back and forth between iphone and blackberry 3 times. (3G to Pearl, 3G to Bold, 3GS to Bold). here are my thoughts.

Iphone has captured a market that RIM didn't necessarily market to previously - that being the casual consumer market who don't rely on email / bbm as their primary use for their phone. All my friends who have iphones are not using them for work purposes, but as their personal phone. One friend even keeps her old curve for messaging purposes.

Prime example is when my friend, who recently got an iphone, called me for some tech support, I mentioned that I didn't have my iphone anymore as I had had it with the email program (lack of "send as" with mobile me / true push email) on the iphone and the lack of a physical keyboard. She wasn't surprised at all. As she said it, "the iphone is a toy, the blackberry is a business device".

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Now, could RIM bust into the casual consumer market, sure, but they do need to improve browser, apps, OS, etc.
    04-08-10 10:38 AM
    I don't need my phone to have a bunch of bell and whistles. Don't need to find my car or turn off the lights in my house. I just need it to have good call quality, have a good messaging capability, and have some basic productivity tools(excel, word.etc), and just be a good organizer. If I need more, then I'll just use my laptop. My tour and previous 8330 have met and or exceeded all those needs. However, I wouldn't mind seeing RIMM come up with a better UI and a slicker Browser for their OS.
    04-08-10 11:31 AM
    Cant compare the blackberry to the iphone. The iphone's specs dont sell the device, its the thousands of apps it has that sells this device along with their popular multimedia (ipod crak ) Heard the iphone gen 4 is just a OS upgrade no actual features so we'll see how that works out. if it still sells like crazy then you know foresure no one cares about its specs.

For rim to break into that market it obviously needs a better browser, OS and loads more apps. I also think its time to upgrade things like the camera. 3.2mp seriously? atleast a 5 for all next gen devices.
    I'm getting the Xperia X10 got a crazy 8mp camera with face recognition and everything its a full fledge camera in it. Hopefully I'll like the ui and everything as im not a fan of touch screen so we'll see how i adapt to that.
    I also think the next bold and junk should start supporting 4g and partner up with verizon for some exclusives. tweak some things before you fall too back

It is a busines phone but loads of non business people own one. heck kids in my sisters gr 9 class majority have blackberrys. It might be because i live in kitchener waterloo.. but its like 2/3 ppl have a blackberry.
    Last edited by B101Z; 04-08-10 at 05:25 PM.
    04-08-10 05:22 PM
    When I was searching for a new phone, I could have went to the new phone on the market, be it the iphone, droid, what have you. I picked up the BB for many reasons, keeps me organized, a keyboard (I am not a big fan of touch screen), the email push is seamless......I could go on but you get the idea. So I think that BB will last for a good while.
    04-08-10 08:58 PM
    Cant compare the blackberry to the iphone. The iphone's specs dont sell the device, its the thousands of apps it has that sells this device along with their popular multimedia (ipod crak ) Heard the iphone gen 4 is just a OS upgrade no actual features so we'll see how that works out. if it still sells like crazy then you know foresure no one cares about its specs.

For rim to break into that market it obviously needs a better browser, OS and loads more apps. I also think its time to upgrade things like the camera. 3.2mp seriously? atleast a 5 for all next gen devices.
    I'm getting the Xperia X10 got a crazy 8mp camera with face recognition and everything its a full fledge camera in it. Hopefully I'll like the ui and everything as im not a fan of touch screen so we'll see how i adapt to that.
    I also think the next bold and junk should start supporting 4g and partner up with verizon for some exclusives. tweak some things before you fall too back

It is a busines phone but loads of non business people own one. heck kids in my sisters gr 9 class majority have blackberrys. It might be because i live in kitchener waterloo.. but its like 2/3 ppl have a blackberry.
    Hey, haven't you turned on the news? 4.0 has made jailbreaking pretty much obsolete. There's multitasking and categories. Also, specs isn't everything. Look at the HD2. It's a spec monster but hampered by Windows Mobile.

Don't get the X10. It's stuck on an older Android version, and the hardware literally cannot support multitouch. You're in Canada, so get a Milestone or a Nexus One. The X10 would be nice if I could count on SE to release software updates for it, not release a new phone for a new version of Android.
    04-08-10 09:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD