Hello,

I can be very picky about my grammar when I text or specifically when I email and I was curious if autotext can help me out. My specific problem is with apostrophes and the letter "s". For example, if I had the word "brothers" I could type "brotherss" (using double ss to signify I want an apostrophe) which would get changed to "brother's". So does a wildcard character exist so to create this autotext? Thanks for the help!
    07-19-09 02:08 PM
    Hello,

I can be very picky about my grammar when I text or specifically when I email and I was curious if autotext can help me out. My specific problem is with apostrophes and the letter "s". For example, if I had the word "brothers" I could type "brotherss" (using double ss to signify I want an apostrophe) which would get changed to "brother's". So does a wildcard character exist so to create this autotext? Thanks for the help!

yes create a autotext

s and make the value be %b's that way when you type brother s it will backspace the s in and return brother's
    07-19-09 02:20 PM
    Thanks works great! So "%b" is the wildcard character?
    07-19-09 02:36 PM
    No, %b is a non-word. When it appears in text, it will be changed.

You can use any combination of character for AutoText, as long as they are not likley to be actual word choices.

One interesting one that got through the checking. LT is converted to Local Time. Too bad if you are military user and you need to refer to your Lieutenant.
    07-19-09 03:00 PM
    semi-threadjacking...

I use ellipses (...) a lot... I want to create an autotext where "(space)mm" will do a backspace and put in an ellipse.

so "hey mm" becomes "hey..."

what would the syntax for that be?
    07-19-09 03:46 PM
    semi-threadjacking...

I use ellipses (...) a lot... I want to create an autotext where "(space)mm" will do a backspace and put in an ellipse.

so "hey mm" becomes "hey..."

what would the syntax for that be?
    Options / Autotext. Menu / New ...
    07-19-09 03:51 PM
    Options / Autotext. Menu / New ...
    Thank you for that insightful reply

If you read closer, you'd see that I want the autotext to backspace so that the ellipsis is immediately after the text. An autotext for "mm = ..." leaves the space after the text.
    07-19-09 04:01 PM
    I have no idea how you are going to make that work, but you are in the right place now.

Have you considered creating an ASCII text file on a computer, copying it to your media card and into the clipboard, then pasting it into the command line? Backspace is CTRL+H, 08h or 010 binary.
    07-19-09 04:42 PM
    Why not just make "mm" the "..."

Then just type "heymm" and after you press the space it will read Hey...
    07-19-09 04:52 PM
    Why not just make "mm" the "..."

Then just type "heymm" and after you press the space it will read Hey...
    because autotext won't pick up the "mm" if it's part of a word, only if it's by itself... I don't know how that ASCII stuff works, I thought it was possible to insert a backspace natively cause that's what was suggested above for another autotext
    07-19-09 05:01 PM
    Thank you for that insightful reply

If you read closer, you'd see that I want the autotext to backspace so that the ellipsis is immediately after the text. An autotext for "mm = ..." leaves the space after the text.
    If I understand you correctly, in essence you want the same thing I did. If you want an ellipsis after hey just by typing "mm" then the syntax is %b... This will turn "mm" that is standing alone to "..." right next to text, ie "hey mm" is "hey...". I am sorry if that was not what you asked though.
    07-19-09 05:31 PM
    If I understand you correctly, in essence you want the same thing I did. If you want an ellipsis after hey just by typing "mm" then the syntax is %b... This will turn "mm" that is standing alone to "..." right next to text, ie "hey mm" is "hey...". I am sorry if that was not what you asked though.
    PERFECT! Thanks!
    07-19-09 05:53 PM
    This works, that's how I do it. I have the auto-text entry for "dd" change to "%b...". It backspaces and inserts the ellipsis directly after the previous text...it also puts a space after the ellipsis
    07-19-09 06:02 PM
    I know Reed explained this, but I am not getting this "%b". What exactly is happening there in that string of text? Is "b" a backspace?
    07-19-09 06:09 PM
    PERFECT! Thanks!
    Glad I could help!
    07-19-09 06:09 PM
    I have to apologise for the confusion.

%B is the global variable for BackSpace.

You can verify that in Autotext when "BR " is converted to (%b and resolves to (.
    07-20-09 09:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD