03-25-09 04:05 AM
31 12
tools
    Oh I'm sure we'd hear countless stories about how BBs have ruined their personal lives because work needs you and they know how to find you.

I'm wondering about people who use their BBs for personal usage. Have you ever worried that maybe people think you're too available? Not everyone has a blackberry so they don't know how easy it is to check email, text messages...heck we even have twitter now so that people know when we're pooping. I mean this to be funny but I'm also serious!!! I have been reading threads about applications everyone has in order to learn about more features that I can use myself but I'm afraid to use some of them LOL

What do you all think about this??
    06-02-08 10:17 AM
    in todays age...being connected and available is more of second nature and a part of life nowadays...but yes..im addicted to being connected..perhaps i AM too available...let me think...hmm..

1. yahoo messenger
    2. aim
    3. bb messenger
    4. facebook built in
    5. push email
    6. constant texts

im constantly logged in and communicating thru all of these...so maybe i AM toooooo connected... lol
    06-02-08 10:20 AM
    You'll find I am the minority opinion...

Yes there are multiple ways for the BB to keep you connected, and every single one of them can be disabled in one way or the other.

There are times when I want to be disconnected (dinner with my family, nap time with my g/son, church, etc..) and in all of those instances I set away or unavailable messages in the things that allow, put the phone on silent, or simply turn it off.

I don't have Facebook or MySpace and Twitter simply creeps me out.

I'm just not one of those who find it necessary to check my phone every time it does something, it is not always in my hand, I use the off function a lot, and I am in no ways "addicted" ( a concept I find laughable and sad concomitantly) , so no, my BB does not make me too available.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 06-02-08 at 12:59 PM.
    06-02-08 10:39 AM
    I am not in an office. I am out "in the field" so to speak 8-9 hours a day.
    Also my family is out of state with the exception of my two son's. So being connected is important for me. Though when at home, I am trying to be less available.
    That and I am a male with a DNA defect that pertains to electronic gadgets. At this time, there is no none cure. (for electronics, that is)
    06-02-08 10:46 AM
    lol, um yea. Though I love the ability to shut it off and still have my alarm go off! It saves me from the nightly barrage of text messages, e-mails, and phone calls. Though I use it for work, the personal features are addictive. I was available before my BB but now it's almost instant communication. I don't mind too much though if I never need a break I just shut it off, if I see it blinking i'll be compelled
    06-02-08 10:54 AM
    I think its up to the individual as to how "available" they are. I run my own business so get calls & e-mails outwith normal working hours (whatever they are these days) but I choose whether I'm available to take them or not. If I'm say out for dinner with my girlfriend I'll put my BB onto vibrate & leave it in my pocket so that it doesn't disturb the dinner. Even though nowadays everyone can communicate with each other 24/7 it doesn't mean you have to, you do still need balance between work & personal life. I find the "always available" features helpful when required but not a necessity.
    06-02-08 11:34 AM
    Well, I'm not afraid to use the features of my device, seemingly that's the problem lmao!!

So yes, I am too connected...too available via my BlackBerry...

Now it could possibly ruin relationships, the trick is to find a girl obsessed as much as you lol!!
    06-02-08 11:42 AM
    I thought about this and almost said no I am not too available...then I remembered that my boss emails me at about 6 am every morning

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-02-08 11:47 AM
    It is like every addiction, the problem is moderation and know when is a bad time. Just got home from work and listening to my wife retell her daily events, Bad time. There also times when it is good, at the end of a 3 hour flight know what has happened in the office before I get my bags.
    06-02-08 11:51 AM
    I wouldn't be "afraid" necessarily... Being 'too available' is really a matter of opinion. For me, I can never be too available.

I have to be available 24/7 for my job. This bothered me at first, now I'm used to it and it's just part of my daily life.

My biggest thing about being available all the time is family or friends... what if there was an emergency or I had to go bail a friend out at like 3am? Thank you, my beautiful berry!!

It gets kind of annoying to others (especially the boyfriend) when my phone goes off CONSTANTLY, but... Well... It's part of the package. Love me, love my Blackberry.
    06-02-08 11:53 AM
    You're only as available as you want to be. I glance over every message that comes in but if I am busy or don't feel like it I won't reply until later on. I don't know why people feel like once they read it they have to reply immediately. I mark it as unread and file it in my mental queue of things to do once I am no longer busy. I like to think my bb keeps me well informed, not too available.
    Last edited by zaventh; 06-02-08 at 11:56 AM.
    06-02-08 11:53 AM
    I've been 'available' 24/7 since 1995. It can be a PITA no doubt, but I'm noticing more and more it's expected. I still remember when I was a child it was rare that people had an answering machine, now voicemail is just expected. Who doesn't have it?

I'm not concerned, but I do see it as a societal shift, I figure by the time my daughter is my age it'd be unheard of *not* to be connected all the time.
    06-02-08 12:00 PM
    I'm probably way to connected. But I don't have any problems ignoring people if I don't want to talk to them haha

06-02-08 12:52 PM
    Speaking of being to connected

Does anyone here have mobiscope hahaha

I love that program. Everyone can get a golf of me and now I can check in on my home when ever I want
    06-02-08 01:19 PM
    Not a problem for me. I usually leave my phone in a drawer when I get home. I'll check it every hour or so. I can control my addiction and spend time with my family.

06-02-08 01:35 PM
    I have a demanding hubby, 4 kids, an ill mom and lots of other responsibilities, so being connected 24/7 is the norm for me. I do turn the BB off when I am out to dinner, church, functions, etc. It is comforting knowing I can be reached through a number of means if I'm needed though.

06-02-08 01:46 PM
    I have a demanding hubby, 4 kids, an ill mom and lots of other responsibilities, so being connected 24/7 is the norm for me. I do turn the BB off when I am out to dinner, church, functions, etc. It is comforting knowing I can be reached through a number of means if I'm needed though.

In almost the same position as you, well minus the hubby (that's me), but the people around me will always take precedent over a phone, no matter what it can do or how cool it is. My boss sends me an email while I'm having dinner with my family, it waits. Some one sends me a text when I playing with the little guy, it gets ignored until I'm done. The wife and I are sitting on the deck talking, the thing could grow breast and I still would not pay it any attention. Constantly connected is a choice and it's one I choose not to make.

And anyone who is really important knows how to get me independent of my BB.
    06-02-08 01:56 PM
    i like being avaliable!!

i love the fact that i am easily contacted
    06-02-08 01:59 PM
    Like any other addiction, know when to say when. Since this is my primary phone I choose when. It's cool to be contacted at any given moment, but do you need to stop what your doing to respond? Pretty much for me when I'm available, I'm available.
    06-02-08 02:22 PM
    It's cool to be contacted at any given moment, but do you need to stop what your doing to respond?
    Rant on:

And this is where I differ with the majority. It's not.
    There are times when it is definitely un-cool to be contacted. I love my BB as much as the next person. And I make incredible use of it and what it has to offer, but this whole I have to be constantly connected, I'm "addicted", I never put it down, I couldn't live without it, my (insert relationship) is jealous of my BB, thing is just IMHO simply pathetic. It's plastic and wires and circuits. If you're going to love something, be connected to something, try something that breathes.

Rant off: because I know I'm in the right church, wrong pew
    06-02-08 03:19 PM
    I am the on-call manager for the entire United States at my company and must be available at all times. Unless I am on vacation.

Some times it sucks to have to be available all the time, but I get compensated for it well so I try not to complain.
    06-02-08 04:19 PM
    That is what I want to be...very available.
    06-02-08 04:41 PM
    That ship sailed decades ago when I bought my first pager in 1985. Made the stupid mistake of giving the number to my employer (ya, I had an actual job back then). I wasn't on the schedule for a day so I made personal plans and ignored the page that came in the night before.

When I showed up for my next scheduled shift I nearly got fired! But I simply said "Look, it's MY pager that *I* pay for, and only gave you the number as a courtesy. If you want me on a leash feel free to pick up the bill."

They blinked and I kept my job. That was 23 years ago.

Nowadays though, many people with corporate BB's don't have that luxury. For some salaried employees it's often written into their contract that they have to be reachable via their company-issued BB (ie they can't ignore it or shut it off after hours). And there's no saying sorry, I didn't get the message, because BES knows all. Which makes a compelling choice for picking weekend getaways where there's no coverage, but I digress.

But after years of resistance I finally broke down last month and got one of these wonderful, annoying, miserably addictive little things. I'm a freelance commercial photographer. Virtually everyone who's in a position to hire me has a BB or something like it and is used to quick responses to their email inquiries. Since they universally wait till the last minute before sending out bid requests, it really helps that I can, at the least, reply to them without a computer.

Otherwise, they'll just go with the next guy on the list who got back to them sooner. It sucks, but that's life in 2008!
    06-02-08 07:31 PM
    And anyone who is really important knows how to get me independent of my BB.
    Oh ya. I have something called...wait for it...a LAND line at home. I can count the number of people who have it one hand. And if someone really needs me I also have something called a street address...though my business is run through a private mail box. If I don't call someone back and they come over to my house they better have a dammed good reason for it, or they're gonna get an earful.

In either case though, just because I'm aware that someone is trying to reach me I've never felt an obligation to drop everything and comply with their request. Unless income loss is at stake, in which case I get back to them asap, and the BB is great for that.

But yes I ignore texts and emails and voicemails and even calls to my home until it's convenient for ME to get back to THEM. Heck, my voicemail prompt says "...I'll get back to you eventually."

But I love the ABILITY to respond instantly if needed. But like carrying a gun, just because you have one doesn't mean you should whip it out and use it all the time!
    06-02-08 08:24 PM
    But like carrying a gun, just because you have one doesn't mean you should whip it out and use it all the time!
    Bingo, you are my idol for at least the next 15 minutes
    06-02-08 08:28 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD