Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    This is something I thought I would never ask or talk about. I have been an advocate for the Blackberry keyboard for years. The torch, 9900, the passport, the priv and Keyone. Thought I would never fully transition to the Vkb. But here I am. Sitting here typing this on my BlackBerry vkb and enjoying it about as much as the physical keyboard.

Now do I type more typos? Yes. Am I as fast as I was with the pkb? No. But each day I use this vkb, I get better at it just like any other keyboard. I have been using it for about a month now and I find myself typing on it without looking sometimes. I will never get the "click" feeling like when typing on the pkb but I'm ok with that. The sound from when I tap the buttons on the screen kind of gives me the same euphoria. Plus the flick typing and the one handed use is what makes up for it.

It can get discouraging in the beginning with typing on glass. I can honestly say that I am enjoying it now more than I ever have (even when I have the z10). Just wanted to show the Blackberry vkb some love lol. Anyone else enjoy the Blackberry vkb as much if not more than the pkb?
    08-21-19 10:45 PM
    BlackBerry virtual keyboard was invented for the Z10 to replace the physical keyboard and make Z10 the next big thing. It is very clear the size of resources that BlackBerry has put in developing this keyboard almost 7 years ago when it was ahead of its time.
    I love it so much and keep using it on my Key2.

Believe me after a year of usage, the keyboard will learn your words, and you will need just to swype in order to write an essay!.
    Last edited by John Albert; 08-21-19 at 11:55 PM.
    08-21-19 11:43 PM
    I use Gboard on Pixel 3 and this thing is an absolute animal.

It takes getting used to and learning how to use all the tricks this thing has up its sleeve but once you get up to speed there is no going back unless tactile feedback is what you are after (in which case you are stuck with limited options).

I can confidently say that within less than a week I am much faster than I ever was with any PKB with "faster" being the key take home here, not "accurate" which I let the autocorrect handle.
    08-22-19 12:41 AM
    Blackberry phones' keyword is little small. I have little bit problem to type there.
    08-22-19 03:49 AM
    Honestly, the gboard isn't bad. It gives you more customization options. It may even be easier to type on than the BB vkb. There are some features on the BB vkb that I love too much to switch. The number one feature is copy and paste.

This was the main thing I feared losing since I switched to vkb. I am so glad that I can still do this. Another thing is the flick typing. When I am applying for something and it asks for email, I love that I don't have to type it in. I can just type a couple of letters and flick the rest.

The third thing is swiping back to delete. Brilliant feature and became instantly hooked to it since my z10 days. Sure I could just hold down the delete button to delete the word or press it but swiping back allows me to instantly correct my mistake.

Overall, I am having more fun with the vkb right now. I don't feel that itch to go back to the pkb anymore. The pkb era may truly be over for me this time. Just wished the BB vkb had more customization options like the Gboard keyboard.
    08-22-19 07:17 AM
    I would enjoy it more if it had the option to long press for symbols on a 150ms delay and the number row permanently displayed.
    08-22-19 07:44 AM
    It took me awhile to change from my bold to the Z10 and I had a friend lend me his to try out. The virtual keyboard on bb10 software took a half a day but I was as fast if not faster on it.

The year and a half I spent with the iPhone was horrible. Couldn't find any keyboard to install that looked or felt like the BlackBerry keyboard.
    08-22-19 08:02 AM
    I love the BlackBerry VKB, which I've been using since 2013. I had tried an iPhone in 2010 and hated it, but my 9700 died in March of 2013, after the release of the Z10 but before the launch of the Q10, so I took a chance on the slb form factor.

Within half a day, I was hooked. The swipe navigation, together with Peek and Flow and the PKB with flick to type addressed all of my VKB issues. Within a month I was faster on the VKB (for text entry, not for editing) than I had been on the PKB (which I used daily at high volumes for eight years).

Today, I still use my Z10 as my daily driver but also own a KEYone. On the KEYone I use a combination of the PKB (for Android shortcuts and editing) and the VKB (when I need to type a lit of text quickly).

Posted with my trusty Z10
    chain13 likes this.
    08-22-19 09:09 AM
    At the risk of standing out in the crowd, the only virtual keyboard I ever really felt relatively accurate with was the one in Windows Phone 8. I've used BB's virtual keyboards on BB10 and Android, Gboard, Swiftkey, whatever comes in AOSP, the iPhone, etc., but in my experience nothing has made for as straight-forward a transition from physical to virtual as that WP8 keyboard.

On the other hand (pardon the digression -- I don't intend to derail the conversation), I've used a lot of physical keyboards (Palm, HTC, and Motorola among them), and nothing came close to BB's.
    08-22-19 09:19 AM
    99.99% of folks seem to be happy on a VKB. Bout 95% of past BlackBerry fans seem OK without the PKB as well (maybe 4 million PKB users today vs 80 Million at the peak - of course at the peak wasn't all PKBs)

While I enjoyed the BB VKB, I like the full options that SwiftKey offers. I do miss the swipe option, but it doesn't take much to work without it. Resizing the keyboard is more important to me.
    08-22-19 09:31 AM
    Totally agree, I remember using it at the times of my Z 10 and Z 30 , was really a joy trying on them.
    08-22-19 04:25 PM
    Can someone explain to me how the hell is Gboard considered better than SwiftKey?
    08-23-19 11:21 AM
    At the risk of standing out in the crowd, the only virtual keyboard I ever really felt relatively accurate with was the one in Windows Phone 8. I've used BB's virtual keyboards on BB10 and Android, Gboard, Swiftkey, whatever comes in AOSP, the iPhone, etc., but in my experience nothing has made for as straight-forward a transition from physical to virtual as that WP8 keyboard.

On the other hand (pardon the digression -- I don't intend to derail the conversation), I've used a lot of physical keyboards (Palm, HTC, and Motorola among them), and nothing came close to BB's.
    Agree 100%. The WP 8/8.1 VKB was excellent. Smooth, fast and fluid. The noise / feedback when typing was also wonderful.

One could only hope the MS brought this keyboard to android.
    Shuswap likes this.
    08-24-19 06:30 PM
    Can someone explain to me how the hell is Gboard considered better than SwiftKey?
    Just personal preference. It has characters in different locations, everything else is subjective comparison. I prefer Gboard.
    08-25-19 01:13 AM
    Gboard is better than swiftkey, I prefer gboard because it support more swipe features that I use most (swipe to delete and to move cursor), last time I used swiftkey didn't have that.

But I guess it's just a matter of adapt. Just adapt to whatever vkb you're using. I'm currently adapted to some vkbs : gboard, iphone stock keyboard, and samsung stock keyboard.
    08-25-19 07:42 AM
    I am still searching for my ideal board. Fleksy has been the mainstay for a month or so, after trying all the popular offerings.

I am currently using Classic Keyboard. It has adjustable key height and bottom / top row configurations. So far, so good.
    08-25-19 09:06 AM
    If only Gboard had predicted word swipe up....I think this is a BlackBerry patent but damn it makes typing so much easier.
    08-25-19 12:25 PM
    If only Gboard had predicted word swipe up....I think this is a BlackBerry patent but damn it makes typing so much easier.
    What about swipe down? Nobody has mentioned it but it's my second favourite feature. Easy access to numbers and symbols and goes back to the main keyboard after a single input.
    08-25-19 12:36 PM
    What about swipe down? Nobody has mentioned it but it's my second favourite feature. Easy access to numbers and symbols and goes back to the main keyboard after a single input.
    Absolutely! I wonder why other vkb apps don't use this feature. It must be patented.
    08-25-19 12:39 PM