I still had it in my head that there needed to be a service provider in the background “presenting” Blackberry service, equivalent to the bis I’ve had since 2004. But is it the case that now it’s Android I could just put my o2 SIM card into a Key2 I buy outright, cancel the B.B. worldwide roaming, and go to free in Europe, out of Europe data in 24 hour chunks on my own phone? Meanwhile just cancelling the hideous customer service VodaFone contract within the 30days and returning the faulty Key2? Like the hub is just an app I can download on any Android phone, no need for BB backup?
    09-13-18 06:16 PM
    Provided the device you buy is unlocked and GSM, sure. It'll be compatible with most GSM network. The real question you're asking is if you need a BIS plan anymore and no, you do not.
    nevilleadaniels likes this.
    09-13-18 06:28 PM
    BIS hasn't been needed with BB10 either since 2013.
    09-13-18 06:56 PM
    Provided the device you buy is unlocked and GSM, sure. It'll be compatible with most GSM network. The real question you're asking is if you need a BIS plan anymore and no, you do not.
    ...And all that was the same for BB10 also, correct?

Edit: Oops Sorry. I didn't see the other response when I posted the quote.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    09-13-18 07:18 PM
    ...And all that was the same for BB10 also, correct?

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    Yeah, ALTHOUGH, some carriers still insisted on a BIS plan even though it did nothing lol
    09-13-18 07:20 PM
    Yeah, ALTHOUGH, some carriers still insisted on a BIS plan even though it did nothing lol
    Yeah that’s weird... cause I would had thought that carriers wouldn’t want BIS so they wouldn’t have to share revenu with BB.
    09-13-18 09:46 PM
    Yeah that’s weird... cause I would had thought that carriers wouldn’t want BIS so they wouldn’t have to share revenu with BB.
    I think they were just too lazy to change the systems. Bell was one of them that did it intially.
    09-13-18 09:49 PM
    I think they were just too lazy to change the systems. Bell was one of them that did it intially.
    Or, they figured it was a way to soak a few customers while they could because they certainly weren't paying BlackBerry anymore.
    anon(9188202) likes this.
    09-13-18 11:43 PM
    Or, they figured it was a way to soak a few customers while they could because they certainly weren't paying BlackBerry anymore.
    That too.
    09-13-18 11:43 PM
    But on BB7 I still needed BIS......?

Blaize.....thank you for confirming what I’d thought.....

so my plan now.....get the gmail mess sorted out (I DO need google to upload the hub etc, is that correct?)

Cancel the Vodafone contract....discovered yesterday that there’s no coverage in the part of Suffolk where I spend half my time so quite apart from the device being massively faulty and the customer service beyond shocking I can’t even use it....they’ve just sent me a message telling me they’d like to call me, ha ha....can’t even get a text message to go

Buy a new one outright from carphone warehouse (from whom I got my first carphone in 1988 so I’ve come full circle....still got the same number too....)

Cancel off the BIS at o2 and convert the account to sim only

Stick my o2 sim into the new Key2.....then it works as my principal text/voice phone too with no need to Port my number...

Who helps me set it up though? Do CW have tech teams?
    09-14-18 03:25 AM
    BBOS 7 and older... yes.

But, even that won't matter after Dec 31, 2019 because BlackBerry is shutting down BIS at that time.
    09-14-18 06:30 AM
    .....get the gmail mess sorted out (I DO need google to upload the hub etc, is that correct?)
    Not sure what you mean regarding your gmail mess. I don't think you specifically need a gmail email account to use hub. I think you can use a variety of different accounts. I believe you would need some sort of AndroidID (eg: BlackBerryID) account for any Android phone, and normally also associated to googlePlay for getting apps and such, but I don't know if that specifically needs to be a gmail email address.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    09-14-18 07:29 AM
    I remember fighting with a Bell rep for over an hour to put me on a normal plan instead of BIS. In the end I gave up. Good old days!
    09-14-18 10:47 AM

Blaize.....thank you for confirming what I’d thought.....

so my plan now.....get the gmail mess sorted out (I DO need google to upload the hub etc, is that correct?)

Cancel the Vodafone contract....discovered yesterday that there’s no coverage in the part of Suffolk where I spend half my time so quite apart from the device being massively faulty and the customer service beyond shocking I can’t even use it....they’ve just sent me a message telling me they’d like to call me, ha ha....can’t even get a text message to go

Buy a new one outright from carphone warehouse (from whom I got my first carphone in 1988 so I’ve come full circle....still got the same number too....)

Cancel off the BIS at o2 and convert the account to sim only

Stick my o2 sim into the new Key2.....then it works as my principal text/voice phone too with no need to Port my number...

Who helps me set it up though? Do CW have tech teams?
    Buy the new phone...

O2 SIM if it was used with an older phone, it's probable not the right size... go get a new one - while there tell them you are moving from BlackBerry to Android and ask them if there are any changes you need made or if there are any cheaper plans or options. Just don't mention the word BlackBerry at all. It's just a new Android Key2 phone (word BlackBerry confuses people).
    09-14-18 11:33 AM
    I've got O2 sim it's worked in all blackberries I've had back to bold now in a motion also keyone just don't tell them you've got a blackberry
    09-17-18 12:07 PM
    I've got O2 sim it's worked in all blackberries I've had back to bold now in a motion also keyone just don't tell them you've got a blackberry
    Why not?

Q10 Powered
    09-25-18 07:46 AM
    Why not?

Q10 Powered
    Because for most... BlackBerry was BBOS and BIS plans.

Do wonder what the activation rate of BBOS vs BB10 vs Android BlackBerries is at this point. In the UK you have many people still using a BBOS phone?
    09-25-18 09:42 AM
    Like I said before, BB should just push out an update next year called “10.3.4” which essentially removes the BB Protect feature entirely, so that when everything shuts down 01/01/2020, people will at least be able to make phone calls, SMS and use the crippled browser and whatever Android apps still work by then.

Best solution do you guys agree?
    09-26-18 03:25 PM
    Like I said before, BB should just push out an update next year called “10.3.4” which essentially removes the BB Protect feature entirely, so that when everything shuts down 01/01/2020, people will at least be able to make phone calls, SMS and use the crippled browser and whatever Android apps still work by then.

I doubt they would clean out do that (or pre-advertise that they might do that) as it could motivate some people (like myself) to want to try and hold onto their BB10 devices even longer. I suspect they are happy to allow people to think the world will end after 2019, so more people are motivated to potentially buy an Android BlackBerry. It will be interesting, since I also doubt they will do something that will cause BB10 devices to just out right stop working.

Not sure if this particular topic is still on target for this thread and the original questions.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    09-26-18 08:50 PM

BB Protect can be disabled by the user, don't see that as an issue.

Only issue is in the case of reloading the OS or buying a "new" phone... without BBID you can't use LINK to restore an old backup... which means you loose all your BBW Apps. Sad, but BlackBerry's would need to update BB10 and LINK. Cheaper fix than updates would be to leave the servers up for a time... if they feel they need to do anything.
    09-27-18 09:37 AM
    BB Protect can be disabled by the user, don't see that as an issue.

Only issue is in the case of reloading the OS or buying a "new" phone... without BBID you can't use LINK to restore an old backup... which means you loose all your BBW Apps. Sad, but BlackBerry's would need to update BB10 and LINK. Cheaper fix than updates would be to leave the servers up for a time... if they feel they need to do anything.
    It can be disabled, but it randomly enables itself after some time. Really annoying to say the least.
    Kind of like on Android devices, the WiFi scanning when off (in location settings) turns back on.

Besides, how expensive can it be to push out an update that removes a feature?
    09-27-18 10:36 AM
    No idea, but it depends on how buried into the OS that feature is.

Besides, how is this affected by the California law that forced this requirement in the first place? Is the requirement only in effect for a set period of time? Is there a statute of limitations where the OEM is no longer liable for... whatever the law says they'd be liable for?
    09-27-18 11:15 AM
    It can be disabled, but it randomly enables itself after some time. Really annoying to say the least.
    Kind of like on Android devices, the WiFi scanning when off (in location settings) turns back on.

It’s expensive if no one knows how to do it! lol
    09-27-18 11:15 AM

Depends on how ingrain it is in the overall OS, and if anyone there really knows that aspect of BB10 well anymore. BB10 was the work of thousands, there isn't one guy stilling there with full understanding of all aspects of BB10. Whoever is left might need to spend weeks just reviewing documentation and code, before even starting. But removing it might be the work of a few hours of coding, or it might take a team weeks to remove it and adjust coding in a number of locations to account for it's removal. Then there is Testing..... Distribution.... and then what is the likely hood that something might go wrong? Doesn't take a lot to get the contact app to duplicate contacts.

Just to keep a few people from being annoyed?

Anyway... this is really something to worry about a year from now.
    09-27-18 11:20 AM