does it have a real gps chip or does it uses cellular triangulation instead? If yes, how come when I go into option>advanced option>gps and try to "refresh gps" to it give me the actual latitude and longitude, it doesn't allow me?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-21-10 08:19 AM
    good question
    08-21-10 08:28 AM
    Real satellite-based GPS. You can enable "Location aiding," which uses cell tower triangulation to assist faster location while the device searches for satellites. GPS works but features are limited unless you subscribe to VZW Navigator.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    08-21-10 08:48 AM
    Absolutely real satellite based GPS. I'm happy with the navigation features.
    08-21-10 08:58 AM
    how come when i go into advanced>advance option>gps...it doesn't display latitudes and longitudes like my 9700. did verizon cripple it? if yes, verizon can sux donkey kong ball.
    08-21-10 09:26 AM
    Mine works fantastic with google maps. Finds me in seconds. Fastest gps I've ever used on a phone.

08-21-10 09:26 AM
    how come when i go into advanced>advance option>gps...it doesn't display latitudes and longitudes like my 9700. did verizon cripple it? if yes, verizon can <deleted vulgar language>.
    Verizon didn't cripple the GPS.

The OS is just different on CDMA devices.

Download and install Signal Location Utilities and you will be able to easily see the coordinates.

Signal-Location Utilities for BlackBerry
    08-21-10 09:37 AM
    I use the gps in the 9650 with gpslogger for hiking tracks and biking tracks and use with with Garmin's software as well as Googlemaps. It also will geotag photos taken with the camera and if coupled with Irfanview (pc app), it will bring up google-earth and show where the photo was taken.
    08-21-10 09:55 AM
    I could never get my Sprint 9650 to lock on any satellites on googlemap.. nor even cell triangulation for that matter
    08-21-10 12:21 PM
    I could never get my Sprint 9650 to lock on any satellites on googlemap.. nor even cell triangulation for that matter
    you have to go to options>advance options>gps and turn it on for google maps to use it.
    08-21-10 12:31 PM
    On this issue I do know Sprint is having GPS issues across the board right now....not just BB's but hero's, Lotus etc

I went in b/c my Bold GPS was failing to lock for a few days and was informed of the issue
    08-21-10 01:44 PM
    Huh? The carrier doesn't have anything to do with an actual gps lock... That would only affect triangulation

08-21-10 03:23 PM
    Verizon didn't cripple the GPS.

The OS is just different on CDMA devices.

Download and install Signal Location Utilities and you will be able to easily see the coordinates.

Signal-Location Utilities for BlackBerry
    Cool app! Thanks!
    08-21-10 03:56 PM
    GPS on my Bold is amazingly accurate. Sitting in my office at home and using google maps with street view I have had it show my location to within about 8 feet of where I sit at my desk. I would call that accurate!

I have a TomTom GPS in my truck and it is not nearly that accurate.
    08-21-10 05:15 PM
    Does it give you the moving blue dot like the Iphone? and does it give you google Voice turn by turn like Android?
    Yep. And turns on the coffe pot too.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    08-21-10 08:10 PM
    well the 9650 wouldn't have a fake gps lol...i hope its real and not fake..lol
    08-21-10 09:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD