I would have posted this in the 9860/9850 forums as thats the phone I have, but I figured because it wasnt phone specific I would post it here.

Now is the 3G/H+ radio a separate radio from 2G? Because when I go to my Network Settings, I have the option to have the phone use 3G/H+ and 2G, or 3G/H+ only, or 2G only.

Now the reason why I ask this is because where I live, in my area at least, there is NO 2G network. at all. There is only 3G and H+.

Am I wasting battery life having my phones 2G radio turned on? Would It be better to just have my phone set to 3G/H+ only?

If someone can answer, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks and Take Care!
    09-11-11 03:55 PM
    Your Telus device will only work on 3G/H+ as Telus does not use GSM only HSPA and HSPA+ (3G/H+) ...
    09-11-11 04:03 PM
    Your Telus device will only work on 3G/H+ as Telus does not use GSM only HSPA and HSPA+ (3G/H+) ...
    Yes, I do realize this. And thank you for the reply!

But my question still remains! Is it a separate radio for 2G? Because if it is, then wouldn't I see a small increase in battery life by turning the phone to 3G/H+ Only?

I plan on doing this anyway as like you said, Telus does not use GSM.
    09-11-11 06:02 PM
    Yes, I do realize this. And thank you for the reply!

But my question still remains! Is it a separate radio for 2G? Because if it is, then wouldn't I see a small increase in battery life by turning the phone to 3G/H+ Only?

I plan on doing this anyway as like you said, Telus does not use GSM.
    Yes, you will save battery life by using 3G only.
    DannyJK likes this.
    09-11-11 07:04 PM
    Thank you kind sir! That was what I thought! I clickemed your Thanks buttons! woowoowoowoo!
    09-11-11 08:08 PM
    It is like keeping your bluetooth or wifi on...
    09-11-11 09:18 PM
    Yeah, I get that. I just didnt understand If it was a separate radio or not. If it was the same radio as the 3G/H+ radio then you wouldnt be wasting extra battery power. But I understand that the radios are completely separate.

And I wouldnt say its like turning wifi on... wifi will actually save you battery life, as long as your using data while your on wifi that you would otherwise be using over the cellular network. wifi uses less power than the phones radios when being used. But you just need to remember to turn off wifi when you're not using it as, yes, it will drain your battery.

But anyway once again Thank You!
    Last edited by DannyJK; 09-11-11 at 10:12 PM.
    09-11-11 10:10 PM
    I honestly don't see much of a difference from H+ to 3G on battery life. I generally get 8-10 hours before a charge. Heck I don't notice much difference on EDGE (2G).

I rock an Android though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-11-11 10:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD