So with all the talk of the Q20 to be released later this year, it got me thinking. Why do I need to choose between having the track pad and having a full touch experience.

I love the touchscreen keyboard on the z10, and the extra screen real estate is awesome, so I wouldn't wanna lose that just to have more accuracy and efficiency in selecting text, or navigating in a more fine tuned fashion.

The solution, of course is to put a "toolbelt" on a full touch device. On the z10 (or similar model) it can easily be placed where the bottom bezel currently resides, right over the "BlackBerry" logo. This location put it within reach of your thumb without sacrificing screen real estate, and the width of the z10 is just enough to accommodate the track pad + buttons.

Moreover, if (as some have hypothesized/hoped) the track pad will act as a fingerprint sensor in the future, it makes all the more sense to have it available on full touch as well as qwerty devices. Furthermore, this can be a key feature for BlackBerry's high end devices, differentiating them from the myriad of glass slabs out there.

From my perspective, the toolbelt on a full touch device:

- increases efficency
    - caters to old skool fans who want the screen real estate over the physical keyboard.
    - sets BlackBerry's full touch devices apart from the rest.
    - provides a consistent UX within the "classic" line for both qwerty and touch devices.
    - allows BlackBerry to push fingerprint scanners as an additional layer of security (very important in enterprise) without compromising consumer choice.

So what do you think crackberry nation? Is this something you guys wanna see?

Do you want to see the "toolbelt" on a full touch device?-toolbelt-z10.jpg

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Knightcrawler; 03-07-14 at 10:10 PM.
    03-07-14 09:48 PM
    I would definitely like to see it on a Z10/30 device. I think it could be much quicker to pick up and make a call within a locked state with a finger print scanner.

Just scan your finger, press the call but to bring up recent calls, or long press to bring up contacts. Just the cut/paste advantage would be hugh as I cut and paste A LOT.

Zed30
    03-07-14 11:16 PM
    Maybe as an option that can be turned off/on. That would be cool.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-14 11:23 PM
    No effing way!

Posted via CB10
    jupiter8 and Moonbase0ne like this.
    03-07-14 11:56 PM
    NO WAY!!!!!! Leave the "tool belt " for the legacy devices.... BB10 already has a software tool belt.... it does not need a physical one nor a track pad!!!!

Graduated with my Bachelor's Degree in Cyber Security As the Valedictorian...... Swiped from the Ever So Awesome White Berry Z10 10.2.1.1925 on CB10
    web99, 1raygin and Dirtymike14 like this.
    03-08-14 12:16 AM
    No. No. No. No.

Please leave that stuff to ONLY the keyboard devices. All touch devices should be just that. All touch. Don't damage it please. I understand that some people have been begging for those keys to return, but those guys are keyboard fanatics. So give them that and leave those who have adapted well to the all touch their all touch devices. And oh yeah, in case I haven't answered the question...

No!

Posted via CB10
    web99, 1raygin and indie_b like this.
    03-08-14 12:28 AM
    No way. Leave the touch devices as is with the swipe gestures. For those who want the toolbelt there will be the Q20 querty devices.

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy Note Tablet
    03-08-14 12:33 AM
    But as the q10 shows, it's not the keyboard that made a blackberry a blackberry. It was obviously the toolbelt. And adding a physical toolbelt wouldn't take away from the bb10 gesture based experience, but enhance it.

Posted via CB10
    neoberry99 likes this.
    03-08-14 06:57 AM
    Putting buttons on a gesture based phone is stupid. If you wanna put the track pad behind the glass fine. and it can be turned off and on. But the back and menu buttons. 2 buttons that I can do the same thing with one swipe. The call and hang up buttons I am in different. I like the way the z10 looks clean simple elegant you start throwing buttons on it and all you have is another android looking phone.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by silversmith75; 07-16-14 at 11:01 AM.
    indie_b and 1raygin like this.
    03-08-14 07:34 AM
    But as the q10 shows, it's not the keyboard that made a blackberry a blackberry. It was obviously the toolbelt. And adding a physical toolbelt wouldn't take away from the bb10 gesture based experience, but enhance it.

Posted via CB10
    You can't possibly win this or try to convince anyone who loves their Z device of the toolbet!!! Im a new blackberry user and I definitely don't know what makes a blackberry a blackberry....

But I know what makes a phone a better phone for me than all the competitors.

Gracious me anyone who's adapted to their zee by now don't want this. Just terrible terrible idea. This phone looks very cool without any button on its face and once you add in that then you take that away. People already say it looks like an iPhone..which unless they were blind idk how it does.

What's the purpose of the toolbet on this? 0.001 extra seconds of making calls and ending calls? Waste of screen.

I wouldn't mind a virtual one that could be turned on or off (track pad I mean) but the other buttons are remotely useless.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-14 08:41 AM
    No.
    All touch devices are more comfortable without tool belt, it will take too much space and make the phone much more bigger/longer.
    Leave it for keyboard devices since the purpose of tool belt to get attention of the legacy users moving on to BB10.
    03-08-14 08:57 AM
    Maybe as an option that can be turned off/on. That would be cool.

Posted via CB10
    This is the idea I like. Make the tool belt virtual too and optional.

Z10
    epark88 likes this.
    03-08-14 08:57 AM
    No way! Leave touch devices as all touch. If someone wants buttons, then get a Q20.
    1raygin likes this.
    03-08-14 09:10 AM
    [QUOTE=spikesolie;10095833]

"What's the purpose of the toolbet on this? 0.001 extra seconds of making calls and ending calls? Waste of screen. "

--

Actually it take me about 8 seconds to make a call from a locked state to a recent caller, probably 15 seconds from my contact list. (using pic password)

Using a trackpad with a fingerprint scanner and the tool belt you could probably make a call from a locked state in ~3 to 4 seconds. Well it all depends how fast it scans your fingerprint. I'm going by a 1 second scan which is not unrealistic.

Also it would not make the phone any bigger if they could place it where the BlackBerry logo is now. Not for everyone but I think with some cool LED colours to illuminate the tool belt it would be a very nice looking phone.

Zed30
    03-08-14 09:19 AM
    Nope I had the 9860. Never used my trackpad on that thing because it was in a bad/awkward spot.

The other buttons maybe, maybe a storm user could let us know how that was. As it is though I find my Z10 just as functional as my 9860 was.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-14 09:48 AM
    [QUOTE=TheStoryUp;10095924]

"What's the purpose of the toolbet on this? 0.001 extra seconds of making calls and ending calls? Waste of screen. "

--

Actually it take me about 8 seconds to make a call from a locked state to a recent caller, probably 15 seconds from my contact list. (using pic password)

Using a trackpad with a fingerprint scanner and the tool belt you could probably make a call from a locked state in ~3 to 4 seconds. Well it all depends how fast it scans your fingerprint. I'm going by a 1 second scan which is not unrealistic.

Also it would not make the phone any bigger if they could place it where the BlackBerry logo is now. Not for everyone but I think with some cool LED colours to illuminate the tool belt it would be a very nice looking phone.

Zed30
    Fingerprint scanner..and they say apple doesn't invent. Everyone is asking for that but I actually would rather not have it

Posted via CB10
    indie_b likes this.
    03-08-14 10:02 AM
    I sincerely do not want to see a tool belt on an all touch device. If the keyboard fans want it - that's fine. I have moved forward and do not want to go backwards. Swiping is the way to go!
    03-08-14 10:13 AM
    I just don't see that it would be usefull on a touchscreen, those options are mostly there anyway.

Posted on CB10 with the Q10
    03-08-14 11:19 AM
    No tool belt. Just improve the gestures to make micro cursor movements more ease. Even holding shift and swiping left right up down on the keyboard would solve this.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-14 11:53 AM
    Sure, why not. More variations for people with differing preferences.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    03-08-14 11:59 AM
    I just checked, holding shift enables highlighting, thanks for highlighting this for me.

03-08-14 12:05 PM
    I just checked, holding shift enables highlighting, thanks for highlighting this for me.

Holding shift and dragging the screen does highlighting yes. I found this much like you from an off topic forum post.

But imagine holding shift and dragging left or right on the keyboard would actually allow me to reposition the cursor... way easier then even trying to tap the right place in that circle from hell.

Posted via CB10
    deercreekmichael likes this.
    03-08-14 12:35 PM
    I'm all for bringing back the trackpad/buttons back no question, but not on the full touch. I don't see the point, the OS is great and there's a choice to be made.

I have a Q10, although I like it, I miss having the trackpad. I chose the phone with physical buttons for a definite reason. I'm ok with the smaller screen and lack of certain games. There's a choice to be made, work first type of device and a media first type of device.

So when I purchase a phone, I need it to compliment my daily grind first, everything else it allows me to do is a bonus.

So trackpad yes, on a full touch nope.

Posted via CB10
    FuNKBerryZ likes this.
    03-08-14 12:58 PM
    No, the "belt" should only be kept on QWERTY phones with small screens. This Z30 has a pretty big screen, so there's no problem tapping to select where the cursor goes. As for the call/back/menu/end buttons, gestures take care of those handily.

Posted via CB10
    Blacklatino and LuvULongTime like this.
    03-08-14 01:01 PM
    Holding shift and dragging the screen does highlighting yes. I found this much like you from an off topic forum post.

But imagine holding shift and dragging left or right on the keyboard would actually allow me to reposition the cursor... way easier then even trying to tap the right place in that circle from hell.

Posted via CB10
    This would be brilliant imo. Or maybe 2 fingers on the screen and drag the cursor?

Posted via CB10
    03-08-14 02:53 PM
51 123