View Poll Results: Do you use your BlackBerry for music?

Voters
147. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I listen to my music on my BlackBerry

118 80.27%
  • No, I have an ipod/mp3player for that

29 19.73%
    I have an old 30 gb iPod for years but recently I've taken to occasionally using my BlackBerry as an MP3 player. I only have an 8 gb microsd but it works for a few days worth of songs.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-10 06:48 PM
    BlackBerry is my primary MP3 player. In fact, that's one of the main reasons why I got it at first. I came from a dumbphone that could do music, except I couldn't do anything else (even check the time) without having to stop the music. Anyways, music on the BB offers numerous avantages (compared to the generic MP3 player):

- A2DP stereo bluetooth support
    - Not having to remove an earbud to answer calls
    - Having only one device to carry around
    - Saves myself a couple hundred bucks
    - Drag and drop capabilities
    - Ability to search by first letters
    - External speaker

That's what I can think of for now. There are, of course, some negatives:

- Faster battery drain, especially with A2DP
    - Lack of dedicated media keys on most models
    - Inability to Rockbox (I'd KILL again for a Rockbox app!!!)
    - Average sound quality, depending on what the BB's being compared to
    - The seek isn't that good
    05-18-10 07:04 PM
    I use the BB, already carrying around two phones, don't need to add a third device, and although some might feel that music on a BB is "absolutely horrible" I haven't found it to be so.
    05-18-10 07:34 PM
    I have never owned a MP3 player. I use my BB as an MP3 player, or I just stream music from Pandora.

I like being able to have one device that handles many jobs to keep from carrying multiple devices. I'm too cheap too for that anyways...

05-18-10 07:51 PM
    I do only when I don't have my iPod with me.
    05-18-10 07:53 PM
    I use my BB to listen to music. Used to have an ipod mini but like having a single device for everything.
    05-18-10 09:13 PM
    I use both my bb and my iPod for music. Can't have too much music lol! have Pandora on both as well, and some other radio apps.
    05-18-10 09:26 PM
    No, I use either my iPhone or SansaView for multimedia. Music on a BB, any BB, is
    absolutely horrible.
    Does the BB mix the words up or what?

I have not found either my Storm 2 or Bold 9000 to be any worse than my iPod Touch, playing through my Sennheiser HD555's. And the Bold actually sounds "decent" playing through it's own speakers. Not loud but pretty clear. Now, the Storm 2 is loud, but not clear.
    05-18-10 09:26 PM
    I listen to music and Slacker, and watch movies off the 16GB card in my Flip.
    05-18-10 09:28 PM
    I sold my iPod Touch in order to buy an 8GB SD card so yeah, of course.

05-18-10 09:30 PM
    My BB is my music player Why would I need a MP3 player to listen to music
    05-18-10 09:51 PM
    Does the BB mix the words up or what?
    No but the sound quality is atrocious. I'd rather take a dive off the Bissell Bridge
    than spend a second listening to music on a BlackBerry.
    05-18-10 09:59 PM
    No but the sound quality is atrocious. I'd rather take a dive off the Bissell Bridge
    My 8900 is around the same with my iPod touch, but the bass cutoff is very noticeable. It's really annoying. Apple is the only manufacturer that cares to put in a good DAC in their devices.
    05-18-10 10:02 PM
    The sound on my 9700 was much better than my ipod nano so i gave it to my girlfriends oldest. Actually the sound on my 9700 beats any other mobile device I've heard.
    05-18-10 10:04 PM
    What did you listen through? Headphones? Headphones+Amp? Stock speakers? Aux to Receiver?
    Last edited by Blacklac; 05-18-10 at 10:51 PM.
    05-18-10 10:43 PM
    I used to, but I bought an Ipod touch. I have the best of both worlds now.
    05-18-10 10:47 PM
    I use my BB as my primary music player. I also have a Sansa Clip, but I have a 16 GB microSD card in the BB, so I can listen to even more songs. The sound on the BB is great, since I use Klipsch Image S4 headphones. I am also able to play FLAC files on my BB.

I do not notice any issues with battery drain, but then again, if I am listening to music, I am not answering the phone anyway. I would not answer a phone if I was using an MP3 player.

I would never consider an iPod. I hate iTunes with a passion.
    05-18-10 11:25 PM
    I listen to music and podcasts a few hours a day, I don't worry about the battery at all. I actually listen to more audio now than with my previous iPod, because the BB is always at hand. The music player is very good, I'm not an audiophile and don't notice a difference between my Bold and previous iPod Nano.

BT works, but it requires me to enter the pin every time. I can't be bothered when I get in my car, so I mostly play podcasts through the speaker, which is surprisingly loud and audible enough even while driving. I use BT only for music.

But I think the killer app is PodTrapper. I haven't seen a podcast app on other devices that really gets it like PodTrapper.
    05-19-10 12:04 AM
    Got some bluetooth headphones, blackberry is my music player now

05-19-10 12:32 AM
    Can someone please explain why the media player on a blackberry (I have the storm2) sucks? Some people complain about it but I see no problem with it at all. Are we talking audio quality here? Most people list to MP3s anyway which have a reduced sound quality. I bet 95% of people could never tell the difference between an MP3 and an uncompressed format.

So, someone explain... what is the problem with the BB media player?
    05-19-10 12:43 AM
    I have always used my BB for music whether its syncing with itunes, using the Sprint music store or Pandora. I love to listen to music on my BB. I also listen to podcasts on my BB. There is no reason for me to have a second device.

05-19-10 12:44 AM
    No. I have a 8G memory card and I had about 500+ songs on it but I never listened to them on my phone. I would rather use my ipod touch, it's cool that blackberry has the option for media playing but nothing beats the real thing.
    05-19-10 12:50 AM
    Can someone please explain why the media player on a blackberry (I have the storm2) sucks? Some people complain about it but I see no problem with it at all. Are we talking audio quality here? Most people list to MP3s anyway which have a reduced sound quality. I bet 95% of people could never tell the difference between an MP3 and an uncompressed format.

So, someone explain... what is the problem with the BB media player?
    it doesn't do that fancy shmancy coverflow crap that the ipod does.
    05-19-10 12:56 AM
    I have an ipod classic 120 gb thing for listening to anything from my whole collection, but I have 8gb of stuff on my Storm 2.

This means when I'm in my car i've got the whole collection to choose from as mostly my ipod sits in there all the time, but when I'm in my wife's car i connect my blackberry to it and choose from there.

One thing I have noticed is that I sometimes prefer the sound of the Storm 2 over the ipod, depending upon the type of music.

Electronic music like Depeche Mode sounds so much better on the Storm than the ipod but the Kings of Leon is the other way around.
    05-19-10 01:36 AM
    Used to, now I use my Sony Walkman. Just sounds so much better.....
    05-19-10 01:47 AM
85 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD