This just popped in my mind and I'm still using the same laptop I bought in 2007 with Vista which is now outdated. I haven't cared about upgrading it because I've had no issues with it.

But I tend to upgrade my phone once a year or even more frequently than that if I get a chance.
    10-25-11 01:57 PM
    No. Obviously...
    PCs and LapTop upgrades are normally seen in the value of years.
    BlackBerry device updates come in the value of almost monthly.

***Unless you have a Storm***
    10-25-11 02:04 PM
    I update my computers every 3-4 years.
    10-25-11 02:05 PM
    I've had 2 computers. Well 3 if you count MacBook Pro but I don't think I'll count that.
    Vostro 1000 for 3 years. and Alienware m11x for 1 (so far)
    10-25-11 02:08 PM
    I've had 2 computers. Well 3 if you count MacBook Pro but I don't think I'll count that.
    Vostro 1000 for 3 years. and Alienware m11x for 1 (so far)
    Would you include replacements in that.

Someone mentioned the Storm and I knew a girl at my job that went through 8 of those within a year.
    10-25-11 02:13 PM
    My last Toshiba laptop lasted about 4 years. It crapped out on me in December 2010 after I bought it in November 2006. My mom was an angel and bought me my new HP in February. I went without a computer for two months! I'll keep this new laptop until it dies as well.
    10-25-11 02:17 PM
    i am using my dell xps from mid 2009 and kinda want something new. Thinner like the new 15z line would be fantastic.

I rebuilt my PC back in early 09 and really havent thought about updating it yet. I did by a SSD and high end video card and such when i built it so its still doing quite well on the scale of being up to date. Probably will get another 6 months before another overhaul. It wont need it but i love playing and builiding them.
    10-25-11 02:20 PM
    So going by some of the posts here it seems a lot of us only tend to upgrade/replace our computers only when they're no longer usable but we upgrade our phones just because we want the newest things out.
    10-25-11 02:20 PM
    This is why I don't get it when people say that the lifespan of a tablet is similar to a phone. You can buy a phone every 2 years because they are subsidized and therefore affordable at that cycle.
    Tablets (wifi only) are not subsidized and therefore cost about as much as a laptop to buy. Why not plan on keeping it as long as your laptop?
    I plan on the PB lasting for years.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    10-25-11 02:23 PM
    I build my computers, and I just upgrade parts of it as needed. It would be cool to be able to do that with a phone.

Oh, OS7 requires more ram and a little different processor, check!
    10-25-11 02:28 PM
    Also, just to clarify my original post...
    I was speaking about software upgrades to existing hardware.
    For example, I recently (3 months ago) wiped & updated my vista PC software to Win Ultimate.
    I update my handheld software whenever there is an update for it. Which is practically monthly.
    That's why I joked about the Storm as the never-get-updated device.

As far as hardware, computers would still be in the same realm for me. Every few years.
    Handhelds would pretty much be whenever new devices drop. So Yearly-Maybe???
    10-25-11 02:34 PM
    This is why I don't get it when people say that the lifespan of a tablet is similar to a phone. You can buy a phone every 2 years because they are subsidized and therefore affordable at that cycle.
    Tablets (wifi only) are not subsidized and therefore cost about as much as a laptop to buy. Why not plan on keeping it as long as your laptop?
    I plan on the PB lasting for years.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    often times because new things come out that need difference hardware and such. You might think you will keep your PB for years but what happens when RIM comes out and says to get the full OS 2 experience you will need to upgrade to a newer PB that has 2 GB of RAM instead of 1. You can upgrade it yourself so you have to buy again or get stuck and missing out on lots of great features.

Not saying any of that will happen but that is just the way technology is.
    10-25-11 02:37 PM
    Nope. Definitely not as frequently as phone upgrades, as considering some phones cost more than some computers, don't know why
    10-25-11 02:41 PM
    I would point out that computer hardware, while still improving, has greatly matured from where it was 5-8 years ago. Hardware in mobile devices (and, heck, the mobile sector as a whole) is improving at what can sometimes seem like warp speed. Comparing the two is really apples to oranges.
    Last edited by psufan32; 10-25-11 at 09:23 PM.
    spiraleze likes this.
    10-25-11 03:10 PM
    Probably safe to say I do something with my machines fairly often. Adding memory, drives, NAS, whatever. I'll have my ThinkCentre open and torn apart at least once per year for upgrades. May be time for a new one....
    10-25-11 06:02 PM
    I upgrade my phones about every 5 years. So, yes, I'd say I upgrade my computers about as often.
    10-25-11 06:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD