One could argue that as a ratio of market share to investment, Microsoft is much, much worse off. They have spent unholy amounts of money.
    Thing is... Microsoft *do* have "unholy amounts of money" to spend on building market share - they can continue to try to buy market share until it gains even more, or they decide to pull the plug.

BB would kill their first-born to be able to swap places with Microsoft's "worse" position.
    01-03-16 05:02 AM
    Thing is... Microsoft *do* have "unholy amounts of money" to spend on building market share - they can continue to try to buy market share until it gains even more, or they decide to pull the plug.

BB would kill their first-born to be able to swap places with Microsoft's "worse" position.
    Agreed.

But it's not a great business model. My thought is that it will keep sucking billions from other lines of business and ultimately be wound down.
    01-03-16 08:12 AM
    Windows 7 is the last Windows version I will use on my computers. Windows 10 is almost just like Windows 8 which in my opinion is crap. Unless Microsoft changes course, I see a Mac in my future and will leave Windows for good.
    Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    01-03-16 05:00 PM
    Windows 10 is maturing beautifully. Surface Pro Series work great with it. Windows 10 is a peek into the future of computer technology incorporating the same app lovers delight on a computer! I'm sure it will be the new norm in a couple years.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-16 05:05 PM
    Windows 10 is maturing beautifully. Surface Pro Series work great with it. Windows 10 is a peek into the future of computer technology incorporating the same app lovers delight on a computer! I'm sure it will be the new norm in a couple years.

Posted via CB10
    A few years behind Apple.
    lift likes this.
    01-03-16 06:50 PM
    Totally agree. The only thing I see happening is BlackBerry finally gaining some relevance back in the smartphone market.

BB10 is a great system but it was never adopted. BlackBerry was always moving around between 0.1% and 1% market share. We can't really call that a third player.

Since BB10 was not gaining any traction, this was really just the logical step to see. This, or BlackBerry abandoning the handset business entirely.

Posted via CB10
    Correction there BlackBerry was at a time the head uncho, just saying.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-16 06:54 PM
    No, you're miss informed and I turned all that off at install.
    Be careful with that because Microsoft keeps turning that **** back on. I've had to turn it off 3 times since install
    lift likes this.
    01-03-16 09:26 PM
    This is worse than when BlackBerry launched BB10. It's gonna be a tough fight. Even with deep pockets.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Far worse. Back then BlackBerry had 3% of the market and the momentum. It's been a colossal disaster to get in this situation
    01-03-16 09:28 PM

Posted via CB10
    Well not true for all. Windows 10 crippled my surface pro and many others. Battery life became terrible with massive drain even in sleep. Still waiting for the famed update that will fix it
    01-03-16 09:30 PM
    Think hard about it... this marks the beginning of 2 system era. With BB abandonment of OS10, we are moving into a market essentially with 2 choices, iOS or Android. There is absolutely no hope left as WinMo is in a worse position than BB.

This is in my view pretty significant and a damn shame.
    The world moved into the two mobile OS era in about 2010-2011. At that time:

*RIM/Blackberry still hadn't released a modern mobile OS (and wouldn't do so until early 2013!) and was in the process of losing massive market share (which started in countries like the U.S. in 2010).

*Microsoft was in the early stages of their still on-going struggle to gain traction with WP7 (and eventually WP8 and WP10).

*Palm and HP (both before HP's acquisition of Palm) had already started sinking webOS with terrible hardware (as in the physical construction of the devices, not the processors in the devices), and then Leo Apotheker buried webOS for good by discontinuing it.

*Older, legacy mobile operating systems like Symbian were in the process of being fully phased out.
    01-05-16 06:04 PM
    Far worse. Back then BlackBerry had 3% of the market and the momentum. It's been a colossal disaster to get in this situation
    What momentum??? The only momentum RIM/Blackberry had in early 2013 was fast-declining market share and the likelihood things wouldn't get better due to an in-over-his-head CEO (Thorsten Heins).

RIM/Blackberry released BB10 so late that only the Blackberry diehards and smartphone enthusiasts were paying attention. Everyone else had been ignoring RIM/Blackberry for at least 1 1/2 years by that point.
    01-05-16 06:13 PM
    What momentum??? The only momentum RIM/Blackberry had in early 2013 was fast-declining market share and the likelihood things wouldn't get better due to an in-over-his-head CEO (Thorsten Heins).

RIM/Blackberry released BB10 so late that only the Blackberry diehards and smartphone enthusiasts were paying attention. Everyone else had been ignoring RIM/Blackberry for at least 1 1/2 years by that point.
    More momentum then windows phone back then is what I meant.
    01-05-16 06:17 PM
    More momentum then windows phone back then is what I meant.
    In all seriousness, I'm not sure I agree. IIRC, Microsoft released WP8 in late 2012*, which a lot of people thought would straighten out some of the issues with the promising but not quite fully realized WP7. WP8 also helped Microsoft take a significant step towards eventually creating an OS that would be device size and form factor agnostic (something they still haven't achieved but they are working towards).

*I bought a Nokia Lumia 928 in mid-2013 after a high-end WP8 device was finally released on Verizon Wireless, so I'm pretty sure without looking it up that WP8 came out in late 2012, essentially coinciding with the release of Windows 8.
    01-05-16 06:34 PM
    In all seriousness, I'm not sure I agree. IIRC, Microsoft released WP8 in late 2012*, which a lot of people thought would straighten out some of the issues with the promising but not quite fully realized WP7. WP8 also helped Microsoft take a significant step towards eventually creating an OS that would be device size and form factor agnostic (something they still haven't achieved but they are working towards).

*I bought a Nokia Lumia 928 in mid-2013 after a high-end WP8 device was finally released on Verizon Wireless, so I'm pretty sure without looking it up that WP8 came out in late 2012, essentially coinciding with the release of Windows 8.
    All that is true but at the time windows 7.5 held a fraction of a percentage of the market and BlackBerry was still on a high from the success of the curve which probably outsold all windows phones by itself.
    What I'm saying is Microsoft had to start from a much lower position then BlackBerry was at that time.
    01-05-16 06:37 PM
    *Palm and HP (both before HP's acquisition of Palm) had already started sinking webOS with terrible hardware (as in the physical construction of the devices, not the processors in the devices), and then Leo Apotheker buried webOS for good by discontinuing it.
    **** you Apotheker!!!!
    01-05-16 07:38 PM
65 123