Think hard about it... this marks the beginning of 2 system era. With BB abandonment of OS10, we are moving into a market essentially with 2 choices, iOS or Android. There is absolutely no hope left as WinMo is in a worse position than BB.

This is in my view pretty significant and a damn shame.
    lift likes this.
    12-29-15 09:03 PM
    Life will go on. If the worst problem anyone has is that there are two choices in phone OS's then things are pretty good.
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-29-15 09:19 PM
    WinMo is in a worse position than BB.
    How so?
    kbz1960 and darkehawke like this.
    12-29-15 09:34 PM
    Think hard about it... this marks the beginning of 2 system era. With BB abandonment of OS10, we are moving into a market essentially with 2 choices, iOS or Android. There is absolutely no hope left as WinMo is in a worse position than BB.

I realise that this is CrackBerry, but to believe that BB10 and BB have had any impact on the wider smartphone industry for at least the last two years is erroneous. We were already in a two system era (Apple and Android), with Microsoft trying desperately to claw a significant #3 position... and have been for years. It simply proves what many people here have been saying for some time: the OS is near-irrelevant, while the ecosystem is everything.

Microsoft have, by BB's standards, near-infinite resources. If anyone can challenge for a significant #3 position, it's Microsoft. Though, and speaking as a WinPhone fan, I suspect that the #3 position isn't that much of a prize to win and won't provide a return on Microsoft's investment.

Again, I realise this is CrackBerry, but nobody here seemed to be much bothered by a couple of players dominating the industry back when one of those players was BlackBerry. But, now when it's Apple/Android dominating, it's a bad thing.
    12-30-15 04:41 AM
    I realise that this is CrackBerry, but to believe that BB10 and BB have had any impact on the wider smartphone industry for at least the last two years is erroneous. We were already in a two system era (Apple and Android), with Microsoft trying desperately to claw a significant #3 position... and have been for years. It simply proves what many people here have been saying for some time: the OS is near-irrelevant, while the ecosystem is everything.

Microsoft have, by BB's standards, near-infinite resources. If anyone can challenge for a significant #3 position, it's Microsoft. Though, and speaking as a WinPhone fan, I suspect that the #3 position isn't that much of a prize to win and won't provide a return on Microsoft's investment.

Again, I realise this is CrackBerry, but nobody here seemed to be much bothered by a couple of players dominating the industry back when one of those players was BlackBerry. But, now when it's Apple/Android dominating, it's a bad thing.
    Totally agree. The only thing I see happening is BlackBerry finally gaining some relevance back in the smartphone market.

BB10 is a great system but it was never adopted. BlackBerry was always moving around between 0.1% and 1% market share. We can't really call that a third player.

Since BB10 was not gaining any traction, this was really just the logical step to see. This, or BlackBerry abandoning the handset business entirely.

Posted via CB10
    fanisk and Jonneh like this.
    12-30-15 05:14 AM
    Priv means fu BlackBerry, welcome Microsoft.
    With no new BB10 Phones in the pipe, the 950 XL looks damn good.
    Always better than the other two OS.

Posted from my Z30 (10.3.2.2876)
    geoffsdad and jsmith00075 like this.
    12-30-15 06:17 AM
    How so?
    Win 10 Mobile is a mess according to the stories I have read. They are also going the 'Google' way by putting all kinds of tracking in the OS. Win 10 mobile is bloated compared to Win 8.1 mobile and the app situation with Win 10 mobile is still very poor.
    Microsoft just released the 950 and 950 XL and do some Google searches and you will see all the issues people are having.
    I used a Win 8.1 phone for a while and it wasn't too bad. Then I went to Windows 10 on it and it is just a bloated mess. Don't say Windows 10 mobile is still in beta because it wouldn't be released on a production device if it was.
    I don't think microsoft is seeing a future in Windows 10 mobile and is not giving it the resources it needs to succeed.
    12-30-15 03:02 PM
    Win 10 Mobile is a mess according to the stories I have read. They are also going the 'Google' way by putting all kinds of tracking in the OS. Win 10 mobile is bloated compared to Win 8.1 mobile and the app situation with Win 10 mobile is still very poor.
    Microsoft just released the 950 and 950 XL and do some Google searches and you will see all the issues people are having.
    I used a Win 8.1 phone for a while and it wasn't too bad. Then I went to Windows 10 on it and it is just a bloated mess. Don't say Windows 10 mobile is still in beta because it wouldn't be released on a production device if it was.
    I don't think microsoft is seeing a future in Windows 10 mobile and is not giving it the resources it needs to succeed.
    At the moment it still is in a better position then Blackberry.
    I've read differing opinions to yours, a lot here on Crackberry.
    I kind of agree with you, but just pointing out that some do not agree and see a future with Windows mobile, although I've also got the impression that they may be abandoning Windows mobile. But i think they will rebrand it to Surface first
    lift likes this.
    12-31-15 01:08 PM
    At the moment it still is in a better position then Blackberry.
    I've read differing opinions to yours, a lot here on Crackberry.
    I kind of agree with you, but just pointing out that some do not agree and see a future with Windows mobile, although I've also got the impression that they may be abandoning Windows mobile. But i think they will rebrand it to Surface first
    I think the 950 and 950 XL are going to be looked at by Microsoft very carefully to see whether they want to try and continue down the mobile Windows 10 path they are on right now. The last good Windows phones carried by any US carriers were the Lumia 640 series. It was carried only by AT&T and T-Mobile and it seems that T-Mobile now only sells the 640 as a prepaid device. The 950 is only carried by AT&T so far like the Priv.
    Microsofts handset division has seen lots of deep cuts and is looking like they are heading down the drain. Soon it seems like there will only be two players in the Mobile phone world. iOS and android.
    12-31-15 01:23 PM
    I think the 950 and 950 XL are going to be looked at by Microsoft very carefully to see whether they want to try and continue down the mobile Windows 10 path they are on right now. The last good Windows phones carried by any US carriers were the Lumia 640 series. It was carried only by AT&T and T-Mobile and it seems that T-Mobile now only sells the 640 as a prepaid device. The 950 is only carried by AT&T so far like the Priv.
    Microsofts handset division has seen lots of deep cuts and is looking like they are heading down the drain. Soon it seems like there will only be two players in the Mobile phone world. iOS and android.
    I know Windows 10 mobile will be made or broken in the enterprise sector. They're hoping their joined up OS will mean businesses pick up Windows mobile handsets. They will even be offering packages.
    If enterprises dont take to it, then you can be sure Windows Mobile will be gone.
    lift likes this.
    12-31-15 01:27 PM
    Looking at the numbers provided by the IDC, everyone will be using Android soon enough.

http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartpho...rket-share.jsp

Posted via BlackBerry Priv
    12-31-15 08:12 PM
    So what?

The majority of the market uses windows operating system with mac and linux operating system being irrelevant.

I don't have a problem with that.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-31-15 08:22 PM

Not sure I agree Windows Mobile is in worse position than BlackBerry.

Microsoft has lots of cash, resources, and double the market share of BlackBerry

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on Priv.
    TgeekB likes this.
    12-31-15 08:29 PM
    Not sure I agree Windows Mobile is in worse position than BlackBerry.

Microsoft has lots of cash, resources, and double the market share of BlackBerry

http://bgr.com/2015/12/31/windows-ph...lla-interview/

lift likes this.
    12-31-15 08:33 PM
    http://bgr.com/2015/12/31/windows-ph...lla-interview/

My two cents, They can flop all they like though. I know a few execs from Microsoft, and unless the CEO changes, they are pretty much planning to continue forwards at all costs.

Their burnable R+D budget is bigger than the total of what BBRY has in the bank.

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    12-31-15 08:35 PM
    They can flop all they like though. I know a few execs from Microsoft, and unless the CEO changes, they are pretty much planning to continue forwards at all costs.

Their burnable R+D budget is bigger than the total of what BBRY has in the bank.

After Windows Visa and Windows 8, I'm positive they are out of touch with reality and I can't wait to see them waste more money. Then again, when you have billions of dollars and nothing else to spend money on because you have it all already, why the heck not?

lift and KermEd like this.
    12-31-15 08:37 PM
    Everyone was sure the Surface tablet would fail too.

I'm not a Windows phone fan but this I know. Enough cash and time can work miracles.

12-31-15 08:42 PM
    After Windows Visa and Windows 8, I'm positive they are out of touch with reality and I can't wait to see them waste more money. Then again, when you have billions of dollars and nothing else to spend money on because you have it all already, why the heck not?

Out of Vista came the highly successful Windows 7. Out of the ashes of Windows 8 has come Windows 10.

Even reasonable Microsoft haters will admit that 7 and 10 are pretty decent OS's.

app_Developer and TgeekB like this.
    12-31-15 08:46 PM
    Even reasonable Microsoft haters will admit that 7 and 10 are pretty decent OS's.
    Windows 7 is the last Windows version I will use on my computers. Windows 10 is almost just like Windows 8 which in my opinion is crap. Unless Microsoft changes course, I see a Mac in my future and will leave Windows for good.
    12-31-15 10:37 PM
    Windows 7 is the last Windows version I will use on my computers. Windows 10 is almost just like Windows 8 which in my opinion is crap. Unless Microsoft changes course, I see a Mac in my future and will leave Windows for good.
    Windows 10 is nothing like Windows 8. It's awesome. Install Classic Shell or StarIsBack

TgeekB likes this.
    12-31-15 11:03 PM
    Windows 10 is nothing like Windows 8. It's awesome. Install Classic Shell or StarIsBack

I agree, Windows 10 is great, but for me right out of the box, no add-ons. I updated all my Windows 7 and 8 machines.

12-31-15 11:16 PM
    Out of Vista came the highly successful Windows 7. Out of the ashes of Windows 8 has come Windows 10.

Imo, Windows 7 was a cleaned up Windows Vista.

Windows 10 is a cleaned up Windows 8.1, which is a cleaned up Windows 8.

I'm not a big fan of 10. I could do without metro, windows store, notifications, forced onedrive, unwanted office alerts, and the tile system - even on my surface pro I only use desktop mode. But that's my old school mentality '

lift and anon(9188202) like this.
    12-31-15 11:16 PM
    Sorry.... Good conversation but I unintentionally created some topic creep.

12-31-15 11:19 PM
    I think the 950 and 950 XL are going to be looked at by Microsoft very carefully to see whether they want to try and continue down the mobile Windows 10 path they are on right now
    Yup, that's their BB10-like attempt IMHO. On the paper the offering is darn sexy. Now can they make money out of it ...
    If not, I'd tend to believe they'll go the Android route as well, remember MSFT has a lot of royalties from that OS (in the $1Bil. per year).
    Exciting 2016 ahead; BTW : happy new year to all !
    lift likes this.
    01-01-16 05:43 AM
    It's awesome. Install Classic Shell or StarIsBack
    If it's so awesome, then why do most people use those? The UI is the worst thing I have ever seen (starting with windows 8). It's disorganized, funny looking and and absolutely useless on a non-touch desktop or laptop.
    01-01-16 11:19 AM
65 123