there are much easier ways of identifying phones than 4 digit numbers.

Agreed. The number system isn't horrible but there are better ways.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9330 using Tapatalk
    07-29-12 03:39 AM
    The reason for the different model numbers is the different radios in the different versions of the same model. For example, a Verizon Curve will have a different model number than an ATT Curve. They should do what Apple did and unify the radio, stick the same radio in all the versions of the same model. That will reduce confusion significantly. It would also make production easier, as they need to make only 1 Curve, instead of 2-3 depending on carrier. Then they should also unify the naming scheme and go with 10 or "X." For example, Bold X or Torch X, something along those lines.
    A standard chipset may be more achievable when US systems all follow the same standard and legacy support for CDMA is no longer necessary. However that will probably be several years away, and there could still be technical problems handling all worldwide frequency allocations in one unified hardware.
    07-29-12 04:48 AM
    The numbers are a right pain and tend to be unelegant in marketing circles as they infer or imply zilch.
    The PlayBook and the Dev Alpha are not numbered and I suggest they follow that line and then I, II, III, IV and teminate.
    If they are that fond of numbers they should use them internally only but once released they must have proper names.
    07-29-12 05:31 AM
    A standard chipset may be more achievable when US systems all follow the same standard and legacy support for CDMA is no longer necessary. However that will probably be several years away, and there could still be technical problems handling all worldwide frequency allocations in one unified hardware.
    Yeah but which everyday Joe wants to know about these variations?
    Just give them one name even if they support different freq.
    Very few people buy sim-less smartphones nowadays anyway. So carriers will just give you the variant that waorks on their network.
    07-29-12 05:34 AM
    there are much easier ways of identifying phones than 4 digit numbers.

How so please?

Model numbers are how things are identified in inventory systems in all industries, if there was a better way I'm sure people would be using that and not model numbers.
    RIM's model numbers used to be more intelligent than they are now, once they hit the 9XXX things got messy since they didn't want to go to 10xxx
    07-29-12 07:02 AM
    How so please?

Model numbers are how things are identified in inventory systems in all industries, if there was a better way I'm sure people would be using that and not model numbers.
    RIM's model numbers used to be more intelligent than they are now, once they hit the 9XXX things got messy since they didn't want to go to 10xxx
    I think the point is that the SKU should not be what is used to the customers not that inventory systems should be abolished.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    07-29-12 07:05 AM

Very few people buy sim-less smartphones nowadays anyway. So carriers will just give you the variant that waorks on their network.

I'm kinda with you on this. Like my example earlier. Galaxy S3. If you want specifics they do have model numbers like I9300 for example. For T-mobile another number, then AT&T another. But when Samsung is doing their marketing, they only advertise it as the Galaxy S3. The same commercial and advertising material can be used in any country without change.

A local magazine recently announced the launch of the non camera variant of the Curve 9360 in Singapore. They called it the Curve 9350. I have heard people asking whether the 9930 is the non camera variant of the 9900.

So yes, the model number is important when trying to differentiate phones for different carries, networks, etc. But having a single unified name that can be used when advertising it can be useful and less confusing to the non tech savvy.
    07-29-12 07:22 AM
    RIM already DOES give them one name even if they support different frequencies.

People at Verizon are buying the BOLD
    People at Sprint are buying the BOLD
    People at AT&T are buying the BOLD
    People at T-Mobile are buying the BOLD

you don't ask for the 9900/9930 or the 9790, or the 9780, or the 9650, you ask for the BOLD, if they have Multiple Bolds IF you don't have a number because you just know you want a bold that your friend just got, you say "the new Bold" most will be handed a 99XX Bold.

The numbers just make it easier for the people who are actually IN the know, When most people see a Ford F150 they just see 3 models, regular cab, super cab, super crew.. but I am a Ford Truck fan, so I see XL, XLT STX FX2 FX3, Lariat, Harley Davidson, KingRanch, Platinum.
    While I do like the naming convention of the Trucks, I would hate to see RIM make BlackBerry BOLD XL, BlackBerry Bold XLT, BlackBerry Bold, HD, etc, just give me BlackBerry BOLD for the consumer, and a part number for the fan.
    07-29-12 07:25 AM
    I think the point is that the SKU should not be what is used to the customers not that inventory systems should be abolished.

But the customers DON'T use the part number system,
    enthusiasts do.

The average consumer buys the Bold, the curve, the torch, they don't know nor care about the part number associated with it.
    07-29-12 07:27 AM
    But the customers DON'T use the part number system,
    enthusiasts do.

The average consumer buys the Bold, the curve, the torch, they don't know nor care about the part number associated with it.
    But they do - when I went shopping recently for a bb, there were a bewildering series of phones that all looked pretty much the same but had different numbers it was like shopping for car parts and confusing as .

07-29-12 08:27 AM
    But they do - when I went shopping recently for a bb, there were a bewildering series of phones that all looked pretty much the same but had different numbers it was like shopping for car parts and confusing as .

That is the fault of the carrier store.

They are showing current and non current BlackBerry's by removing the part numbers from behind them then all you have is Bold Bold Bold which is which? how do you ask for that bold vs that bold?
    07-29-12 08:34 AM
    RIM had done a pretty good job of segregating it's phones in to the Curve Bold, and Pearl line-ups, and then adding relatively recent additions such as the Torch, one-offs like the Style and...the Storm.

So as long as I knew what the line-ups were about, I had a place to start looking. Then I figured out that a higher number probably means a better/newer device (e.g. 9810>9800). The xx20 and xx30 rule I didn't learn about until later, but I gotta do some research before buying, right?

So, to answer your question, OP--I don't think it would be really necessary. Names aren't necessarily that helpful either. I'm always confused by different Android options, even by the same manufacturer (Droid 4, Droid X, Droid Bionic, Droid Pro...you get the idea.)
    Last edited by raino; 07-29-12 at 10:42 AM.
    07-29-12 10:38 AM
    RIM already DOES give them one name even if they support different frequencies.

People at Verizon are buying the BOLD
    People at Sprint are buying the BOLD
    People at AT&T are buying the BOLD
    People at T-Mobile are buying the BOLD

you don't ask for the 9900/9930 or the 9790, or the 9780, or the 9650, you ask for the BOLD, if they have Multiple Bolds IF you don't have a number because you just know you want a bold that your friend just got, you say "the new Bold" most will be handed a 99XX Bold.

The numbers just make it easier for the people who are actually IN the know, When most people see a Ford F150 they just see 3 models, regular cab, super cab, super crew.. but I am a Ford Truck fan, so I see XL, XLT STX FX2 FX3, Lariat, Harley Davidson, KingRanch, Platinum.
    While I do like the naming convention of the Trucks, I would hate to see RIM make BlackBerry BOLD XL, BlackBerry Bold XLT, BlackBerry Bold, HD, etc, just give me BlackBerry BOLD for the consumer, and a part number for the fan.
    This is true and not true at the same time, you are from Canada so you don't notice most likely but in America the CDMA and non CDMA all end differently and were marketed by CARRIER so they released the naming title

Ahem, quick question, what is the difference between the iphone's? The first didn't have much, the 3G has well 3G, and the 3Gs one has 3G, but is even faster. The 4 has a better screen I assume, and the 4S is the same with a better screen via retina display prolly and siri

Now that may not be correct, but it I am sure the average fan, just looking at the NAMES can easily pick apart an iphone....without even looking at it.

Quickly, go to Rim's site for their most popular phone model, the Curve

Compare New BlackBerry Curve Smartphones - US

Or better yet, don't go. What is the difference between the; 8520, 8530, 9300, 9360? I honestly do not know, I think the 8900 was the last curve NOT to have have 3G...that is about all I know of the Curves.

That is just one model of phone, not to mention....The torch's, Bolds, one style, pearls, storms, and there are actually 2 models of torch's, did I miss something here?

Now with all those model lines, all those carriers (I'm not even talking world wide, just the main 4 carriers in the USA) things can get confusing. Also, did you see how the offered 'color' but they only had a handful, and only a few models had them?
    07-29-12 04:04 PM
    If there is one thing that the "new iPad" has shown, is that the naming is confusing if there isn't some indicator of at least the generation. As a whole, people call them "iPads" but if you are talking specifically of the 3rd-generation iPad, it makes more sense to just call that particular one the iPad 3. Especially since the new iPad could be misconstrued as a new-to-you iPad 2, or perhaps specifically of the new iPad 2 (with the newer processor).

For the PlayBook, you can differentiate the size by indicating so (PlayBook 32GB, for example). Or the upcoming 4G version can just be PlayBook 4G. If they came out with another wifi-only PlayBook, I would not expect it to just be "PlayBook", because then it'd be confusing. You could call it a PlayBook if the distinction isn't necessary, but when it is, you would need to call it something like PlayBook 2.

For model numbers, I don't mind as long as they are consistent in what the digits represent. So you could easily decode the number and know what line it is, what generation, and another differentiator.
    07-30-12 11:40 AM
    I think just 2 phones with names only is what is needed then as they release a newer version call it the same name with a 2 at the end, then 3 etc. Its simple everybody can be aware what is the newest and oldest. I also don't think there should be a lower or higher class phone just 2 phones with the same spec one touch and one with a keypad. Having a lower end phone only weakens the image of ur platform.
    From the people I know either they want a Blackberry an Iphone or a SG3 etc but that's as far as it goes, people want the brand and what it can do not the xx30 or xx20 so if Blackberry want to get back on top I think they should keep it simple a touch for the younger generation and a keypad for the business people.
    Let's face it unless ur a crackberry fan u won't know the difference between the 25 curves or 40 bolds on offer. As good as it is crackberry isn't known by the mojority

RIM please just 2 devices 2 names and no low end spec models. Get blackberry back up as the great high end device people want and need to have.
    07-30-12 12:32 PM
    i dont know why in dominican republic they love to change everything but they found a way lol they call the 9900 the "bold 4"
    07-30-12 12:47 PM
    I heard that the Bold and Curve will be renamed Blackberry Itallic and Blackberry Straight to differentiate OS10 devices.
    07-30-12 01:28 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD