Posted via CB10
    04-15-18 08:54 AM
    Might want to finish your sentence?
    04-16-18 05:31 AM
    Adding metal bars would be okay with me and I think it would help me type a little Falls was less less mistakes.
    04-16-18 05:59 AM
    My K1 (3/32) already has metal frets separating rows... ??

I really love the frets on 9900/Classic as they assist tactile guide for thumbnail sliding to next key. When typing by feel. A technique hampered by capacitive PP/K1 style KB, imo. Still, the frets provide useful guide and also help assure minimal accidental "cross talk" between rows during rapid fire typing sessions simultaneous to pursuing other activities.

Not sure what OP is asking but my vote is to retain the frets on future PKB offerings. Fwiw.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    04-16-18 06:55 AM
    My K1 (3/32) already has metal frets separating rows... ??

I really love the frets on 9900/Classic as they assist tactile guide for thumbnail sliding to next key. When typing by feel. A technique hampered by capacitive PP/K1 style KB, imo. Still, the frets provide useful guide and also help assure minimal accidental "cross talk" between rows during rapid fire typing sessions simultaneous to pursuing other activities.

Not sure what OP is asking but my vote is to retain the frets on future PKB offerings. Fwiw.
    I doubt the K1 frets are metal... my bet is on plastic, which is fine anyway
    04-16-18 07:20 AM
    I doubt the K1 frets are metal... my bet is on plastic, which is fine anyway
    Haha... You're probably right. Metal (chrome) plated plastic is what once covered the frets on this well worn 9930. Lol. Of course its key paint is worn to make most keys unintelligible, also. But no matter since I so rarely ever look at the keyboard. Lol.

No wear on K1 kb or frets, yet... so far... we'll see... Lol. Metal, or no, the frets provide valuable function. Imo.
    04-16-18 08:19 AM
    Haha... You're probably right. Metal (chrome) plated plastic is what once covered the frets on this well worn 9930. Lol. Of course its key paint is worn to make most keys unintelligible, also. But no matter since I so rarely ever look at the keyboard. Lol.

No wear on K1 kb or frets, yet... so far... we'll see... Lol. Metal, or no, the frets provide valuable function. Imo.
    Yeah I'm not too picky on what material or finish is used on the frets themselves, however I really would like matte keys on my K1. Seen an instagram pic once of what was probably a custom paint job and it looked really nice.

Frets should however match the rest of the phone to some extent, which TCL failed to do with the silver K1, as the chrome frets don't match any other part since the rest of the trim is matte grey, and definitely not even close to chrome.

The silver K1 therefore has 4 different colors, which is way too many.

-Chrome (frets)
    -Grey (sides, top, bottom, camera, BB logo)
    -Glossy black (PKB, plastic under PKB)
    -Flat black (back panel)

At least the BE only has flat and glossy black, much more uniform
    04-16-18 08:53 AM
    Yeah I'm not too picky on what material or finish is used on the frets themselves, however I really would like matte keys on my K1. Seen an instagram pic once of what was probably a custom paint job and it looked really nice.

Frets should however match the rest of the phone to some extent, which TCL failed to do with the silver K1, as the chrome frets don't match any other part since the rest of the trim is matte grey, and definitely not even close to chrome.

The silver K1 therefore has 4 different colors, which is way too many.

-Chrome (frets)
    -Grey (sides, top, bottom, camera, BB logo)
    -Glossy black (PKB, plastic under PKB)
    -Flat black (back panel)

At least the BE only has flat and glossy black, much more uniform
    Hmm... I think you're right, quite a few shades & textures. Maybe a visual strategy to make it appear "smaller"?? Idk.

Good as they are, for Android, the slick keys are too easy for thumb nails to slide off... Also really miss the "Classic" sculptured" keys. Don't understand why they "fixed" perfection, there... Lol.

I will say that the paint used on Bold/Classic matte keys wears off. But the keys themselves never seem to get "slippery" like K1's. Don't get me wrong, k1 KB is fabulous for Android. I do think less slippery matte kb might prove more precise typing but less "flick friendly"?? Lol.
    04-16-18 09:48 AM
    Hmm... I think you're right, quite a few shades & textures. Maybe a visual strategy to make it appear "smaller"?? Idk.

Good as they are, for Android, the slick keys are too easy for thumb nails to slide off... Also really miss the "Classic" sculptured" keys. Don't understand why they "fixed" perfection, there... Lol.

I will say that the paint used on Bold/Classic matte keys wears off. But the keys themselves never seem to get "slippery" like K1's. Don't get me wrong, k1 KB is fabulous for Android. I do think less slippery matte kb might prove more precise typing but less "flick friendly"?? Lol.
    Well yeah, and the Priv PKB is dream to slide on, it has relatively sculpted keys too, it's just the key travel is restrained by the keys having to reliably hide under the screen.

I'm sure they can find a good balance between aggressively sculpted and comfortable for swiping/flicking.
    04-16-18 10:00 AM
    No metal/plastic bars necessary.
    04-22-18 12:08 AM
    All depends on your technique. I don't use thumb flesh to press keys. I press keys with thumb nails. A superbly precise & speedy technique that makes even the tiniest pkb seem huge. On non-capacitive 9900/Classic, my thumb never really lifts from kb contact. It slides across keys to the target key with just enough thumb flesh touching to provide tactile key location feedback. Thumb nail then does about 95% of actual key press. If that makes any sense. The "metal" frets assist to guide thumb nail to next key, or locate next row, on 9900/Classic style KB.

It's the fastest single thumb "type by feel" technique I've mastered to date. Developing and mastering optimal technique on EVERYthing is just part of my personality type. Lol. Using nails demands keeping thumb nail trimmed just so, tho. Lol.

All that said, my sliding style technique falls apart on Passport/K1 capacitive KB. Which probably makes the frets a little less useful, for my unique technique, at least. Technique still developing, tho...
    04-22-18 02:20 PM