One of the things that captures my imagination about the PB is the huge, wide touchscreen in comparison to dedicated GPS units. I think that a PB could function as a kickass GPS unit and (of course) so much more. If I can afford one anytime soon, that's one of the things I'm dying to use it for.

Who's with me?
    02-06-11 11:29 PM
    i think so, i can see it on my dashboard :P or my lap in the passengerseat
    02-06-11 11:30 PM
    Lets hope there are some more surprises with the PB in store. RIM acquired a GPS company over a year and a half ago and we've yet to see anything materialize from it, so lets hope to a great GPS app for PB. http://crackberry.com/rim-confirms-d...on-acquisition
    Bobcat665 likes this.
    02-06-11 11:44 PM
    That is one thing BlackBerry needs to catch up is a nice, free gps turn by turn navi. Its nice to have it free on Sprint but after my contract I may look elsewhere, but I do enjoy the free turn by turn on my BlackBerry.
    02-07-11 12:25 AM
    IIRC, one of the vids mentioned BB Traffic on the PB. Not sure if it comes thru the BB or a native app. Love that app.
    02-07-11 01:03 AM
    I think BB Traffic app is the made by Dash Navigation if I am not wrong. Found an interesting video on Dash Navigation on YouTube, it will be a killer app if they add it to Playbook ecosystem.

Last edited by sf49ers; 02-07-11 at 01:17 AM.
    02-07-11 01:09 AM
    I havent seen anything saying that the pb has a true internal gps. anyone?
    02-07-11 01:44 AM
    This doesn't exactly answer the question, but it does highlight the power of the QNX acquisition into the car electronics and he mentions being able to use Blackberry Traffic near the end... he just doesn't say where its coming from... the car, the bb or the PB.

I don't see GPS listed in any of the PB specs...
    02-07-11 02:06 AM
    I hope it has a built in GPS. I'd hate to have to buy a separate BT GPS puck.
    02-07-11 02:15 AM
    Hopefully it will be able to utilize the BB GPS.
    02-07-11 02:23 AM
    I bit the 3G and 4G versions will have "fake" cell tower GPS - just like the iPad. A true GPS would be great. I could easily see someone buying this and moding it into their dash.
    02-07-11 07:31 AM
    in the latest crackberry podcast kevin said he looked up the specs on the texas intruments omap 4 processor which is used in the playbook and it has gps support. so im sure RIM is going to make use of that
    02-07-11 02:07 PM
    I guess ONE caveat for wifi only PB's is that you'll NEED a BB to tether with for most mapping apps...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-07-11 02:14 PM
    I havent seen anything saying that the pb has a true internal gps. anyone?
    PB has a GPS, Compass, 6-Axis Gyro and a Magnetometer, check out the following video from 9:00.

orenzai likes this.
    02-07-11 02:24 PM
    PB has a GPS, Compass, 6-Axis Gyro and a Magnetometer, check out the following video from 9:00.

Thank you for posting this. Hadn't seen anything definite on that. Hopefully Garmin will release an App to make this a car GPS, or the Dash acquisition by RIM will make it into this product.
    02-07-11 02:40 PM
    I plan on doing it even though I have a built in GPS. I bought a Motion Computing Tablet PC a couple years ago for just such a reason. Delorme makes the best GPS software and makes the built in car units or portable units a joke. I hope Delorme steps up development for apps for these non-pc tablets.
    02-07-11 08:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD