Most of us who use Blackberry will already know it is very smooth in the gesture and the transition. Is this because of the advantages of having QNX optimizing the cpu?

I am using Passport with quad core and 3gb of ram. Everything seems consistent fast and not seeing any lag or symptoms of slowness.

Blackberry Passport
    05-02-15 06:25 PM
    This is a nice thread, I do believe so as well its because of QNX. it is so smooth and that's why I love it so much also do you realize that apps run great and dont need constant updates like android and iPhone? I am happy with being a BlackBerry 10 user I am pleased with my Z30 and what blackberry is doing once I have a a good touch screen keyboard strong battery and nice size screen I am satisfied the apps can come after I can talk to my friends and family so it's works for me.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-15 09:01 PM
    I believe that specs play a big part. The Classic is clearly not as fast as the Passport. I occasionally play with my Nexus 4 (my backup phone) and it makes me realize the underwhelming performance of the Classic. I actually believed that the Classic became more smooth over time but it was actually me getting used to its lesser power.

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    05-03-15 01:52 AM
    I agree, keep struggling with the speed on Classic, it's reminding me of OS7.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 03:55 AM
    05-03-15 03:57 AM
    Yes. I love that fact that BlackBerry 10 has the stability of the QNX microkernal. If one app hangs or crashes, it doesn't take down the whole system as in the case of other operating systems that use a monolithic kernal.
    quikchip and BerryRipe like this.
    05-03-15 05:10 AM
    No, it's clearly thanks to specs.

My z10 was grinding to a hault
    My passport pretty much flys

They both run bb10 with the beloved qnx, difference being, the passport clearly has better specs.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 05:17 AM
    Yes. I love that fact that BlackBerry 10 has the stability of the QNX microkernal. If one app hangs or crashes, it doesn't take down the whole system as in the case of other operating systems that use a monolithic kernal.
    pretty sure that most all OS don't crash if an app hangs.
    05-03-15 05:34 AM

They both run bb10 with the beloved qnx, difference being, the passport clearly has better specs.

Posted via CB10
    If one passport without QNX but using same spec, I think we may see a bit of difference too. Somehow is the gestures controls that make us rely less on physical home or back buttons that overall give the responsiveness. That is credit to QNX. If the OS cannot fully utilize the good spec is also no use. So I can say QNX plays an important role to make BB10 the best OS.

From QNX
    From day one, the QNX Neutrino RTOS was designed for bullet-proof operation. Its microkernel architecture protects every application, driver, file system, and protocol stack in the safety of memory-protected user space. As a result, multiple third-party applications can run simultaneously on the RTOS without corrupting one another or the RTOS itself. Better yet, applications and services can be updated dynamically for nonstop service.

Blackberry Passport
    TheAuthority likes this.
    05-03-15 05:53 AM
    All of the major operating systems run great on good hardware. I have yet to see the advantages of qnx. Micro kernel architecture , runs nuclear power plants, ect..... I don't see the real world advantage.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 06:21 AM
    BlackBerry has been very active in Healthcare and automobile. Perhaps those areas need a sophisticated realtime OS to handle. In terms of mobile, I think is how the OS can be designed to further make use of QNX. Maybe in future we will see a more intelligent os for the Internet of things.

Blackberry Passport
    05-03-15 06:32 AM
    QNX is certainly a fast OS, it is even sold as a real-time operating system which sets several requirements when it comes to response times etc.

Another reason is that QNX highly modular and therefore encourage a more structural and isolated approach when adding features and drivers to the OS.Having this modular approach is better when creating scalable systems. I believe this is one of the reasons Blackberry has successfully added many important features like HDMI, miracast, different file system support very quickly.

For comparison you can have a look at the Qualcomm Linux code which is kind of messy and contains hundreds of locks just added by Qualcomm.
    05-03-15 07:06 AM
    No because when you are installing an app it can grind the OS to a halt. So either the phone doesn't have enough resources, or all this QNX stuff we were sold on doesn't work with all the other stuff that they shoved into BB10. Still have yet to see QNET or distributed computing that Mike and Jim said was coming to the phones.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    05-03-15 08:37 AM
    No because when you are installing an app it can grind the OS to a halt. So either the phone doesn't have enough resources, or all this QNX stuff we were sold on doesn't work with all the other stuff that they shoved into BB10. Still have yet to see QNET or distributed computing that Mike and Jim said was coming to the phones.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    "Grind the OS to a halt" when installing an app? Haven't seen this happen yet.
    05-03-15 09:37 AM

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    Biggest dream I've ever been sold lol

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 09:44 AM
    "Grind the OS to a halt" when installing an app? Haven't seen this happen yet.
    Installed Evernote update yesterday, went out to open the browser, and the home screen froze for about 5 seconds, not even the put the screen to sleep button responded. Have had glitches way more with 10.3.1. Also when I change the volume now when music is playing it cuts out song while adjusting the volume. Didn't do this with 10.2.1. For a company that wants to focus on software, they better get better at checking it.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    05-03-15 11:40 AM
    It should also be noted that BB10 has the newest code-base. I think that if Apple/Google/Microsoft starts from scratch and build a new OS they would be much better than their current ones. The problem is a totally new OS would probably lose backward compatibility (like BB10 did with BBOS7) and so they would lose their ecosystem of apps. And that would spell suicide.
    05-03-15 11:44 AM
    It should also be noted that BB10 has the newest code-base. I think that if Apple/Google/Microsoft starts from scratch and build a new OS they would be much better than their current ones. The problem is a totally new OS would probably lose backward compatibility (like BB10 did with BBOS7) and so they would lose their ecosystem of apps. And that would spell suicide.
    I think that if either did do a completely new OS, they would make sure that it could use the old apps to make the transition painless for the users, while telling developers that any new apps after a certain point need to be done with whatever the new standard is. BlackBerry had planned to put this capability in BB10, but didn't saying that it proved to be too difficult to implement. Again BlackBerry over estimating their talent and capabilities. I think BlackBerry's ego made them think that they would just release a new OS, pump out 13 Million devices a quarter like they had done and devs would be there, didn't happen.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    05-03-15 12:54 PM
    Apple launched with a weak OS from a technical standpoint, but they knew how to get the timing right for the market. This is what Microsoft did with Windows 3.1 a generation before. When it comes to mass marketing innovative technology, it's better to have a "good enough" product at the right time than a great product at the wrong time, early or late.

Apple will be able to transition to its new code base from a strong position. If BlackBerry had had the foresight and imagination to launch its next generation OS when it was still dominant, before the iPhone, things would have been interesting.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 01:40 PM

Posted via CB10
    Try wiping and reload a fresh 10.3.1 OS. It shouldn't be lagging like that.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 01:43 PM
    Try wiping and reload a fresh 10.3.1 OS. It shouldn't be lagging like that.

Posted via CB10
    Actually, it does that a lot on my Z10. Even when I install a fresh os. It happens when I have other apps open or running in the background while I install the app (has to be the android app). But I think it's more of a software problem (with the Android app installer).

And to be more specific, while installing an android app, if I'm using another app at the same time and the permission screen shows up for the android app I'm installing, then my device will freeze for several seconds

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 01:54 PM
    Let's agree your problem is a BB10 OS issue and nothing to do with the QNX as I have had those issues too.

Let's get back on topic.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 08:35 PM
    I've have these kind of crashes all the time on iOS and Android. BB10 is by far the superior platform imo because my Passport have not crashed yet on me and I've been using it since October.

pretty sure that most all OS don't crash if an app hangs.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-15 04:20 AM
    I think that if either did do a completely new OS, they would make sure that it could use the old apps to make the transition painless for the users, while telling developers that any new apps after a certain point need to be done with whatever the new standard is. BlackBerry had planned to put this capability in BB10, but didn't saying that it proved to be too difficult to implement. Again BlackBerry over estimating their talent and capabilities. I think BlackBerry's ego made them think that they would just release a new OS, pump out 13 Million devices a quarter like they had done and devs would be there, didn't happen.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    Being backwards compatible it desirable, but sometimes it is a limiting factor. Both BBOS and WP7 were incompatible with BB10 and WP8. Time has proven that while both Android and iOS were pretty bad when they launched, the base OS was pretty solid and could be built upon into the modern OSs that they are today.
    05-04-15 05:23 AM