This relates to Rogers only. I know there are a few posts on this subject but they deal with other carriers.

A friend of mine just got the pearl flip. He doesn't have a data plan. He said when he tries to set up wifi it tells him he needs a dataplan.

Will a Rogers phone work on wifi only without a data plan? will some apps work, but others not ie BB maps which only works on data etc.
    01-13-10 01:31 PM
    You should be able to. I have been able to use wifi with an iphone and a bb before I got a data plan.
    01-13-10 03:36 PM
    Certain apps won't work without a data plan (app world, google sync, etc), but for the most part you don't "need" a data plan with a blackberry. I know people that just use it for txting and a bit of surfing while at home on the couch.
    01-13-10 04:26 PM
    WI-FI will work on any Blackberry, you have to change the settings.

1) turn on Wi-Fi under manage connections
    2) go to Options
    3) go to Advanced Options
    4) go to Browser
    5) Select Browser Configuration
    6) Select Hotspot Browser

Now go to Wi-Fi follow the instructions and then your all set!

ENJOY!
    01-15-10 06:18 PM
    absolutely not. I went months without having data on my iPhone and only ran on wifi when it was available.
    01-20-10 10:18 AM
    You will need the service book for WiFi for it to work. You usually get those service book entries when the device is activated. If it does not have it then call the carrier to see if they are able to push them to it.
    01-20-10 10:24 AM
    absolutely not. I went months without having data on my iPhone and only ran on wifi when it was available.
    Ok this is about Blackberry's and NOT Iphones.

With BB, you need a dataplan for certain things as already mentioned, but for the most part, a data plan is NOT needed for the browser and a few apps.
    01-20-10 11:53 AM
    Check out my signature for a sample of commonly used programs that will work over WiFi without any sort of data plan.
    01-20-10 09:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD