Once you have a job or some source of income to pay for your berry, and If you are responsible enough, then I suggest going to your bank where you have your debit card from & apply for a credit card. You may need a parent to co-sign. You might get approved with a very low credit limit & using it just 1 time will start to build your credit up within a month. This would just about guarantee that you could get a phone with no deposit needed on any carrier you want. Its never to early to start building up your credit. Like I said at the beginning though, only if you can be responsible with it. Once you screw up your credit its very hard to fix it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by StrwBerryBlond; 05-12-09 at 09:21 AM.
    05-12-09 09:18 AM

You can buy just the phone without having any credit. You also can get a service plan without having credit but you will have to pay a deposit upfront. I'm unsure whether you will need credit for a month-to-month service because I've never used one but you will most likely have to pay full price for the phone.
    Service Plan? What's the difference between that and the month-to-month?

Once you have a job or some source of income to pay for your berry, and If you are responsible enough, then I suggest going to your bank where you have your debit card from & apply for a credit card. You may need a parent to co-sign. You might get approved with a very low credit limit & using it just 1 time will start to build your credit up within a month. This would just about guarantee that you could get a phone with no deposit needed on any carrier you want. Its never to early to start building up your credit. Like I said at the beginning though, only if you can be responsible with it. Once you screw up your credit its very hard to fix it.
    Don't think I want a credit card. I don't have many uses for it, and I know I'm going to screw something up. Lol
    05-12-09 03:11 PM
    Service Plan? What's the difference between that and the month-to-month?
    Sorry, I wasn't sure what to call it. I meant like signing on for a 2 year contract. That is something they do credit checks for and if you don't have credit you generally have to pay a deposit.

On a 2 year contract you have to stay with them for the full 2 years unless you pay an ETF. On a month-to-month service you are able to terminate the service at anytime without having to pay an ETF. That is why it is called month-to-month.

05-12-09 03:19 PM
    Rogers data plans are actually really good.. Atleast, I think so.
    yea their good but if you go on contract
    05-12-09 04:08 PM
    Sorry, I wasn't sure what to call it. I meant like signing on for a 2 year contract. That is something they do credit checks for and if you don't have credit you generally have to pay a deposit.

On a 2 year contract you have to stay with them for the full 2 years unless you pay an ETF. On a month-to-month service you are able to terminate the service at anytime without having to pay an ETF. That is why it is called month-to-month.
    Yeah, that's what I meant too. That's what I want. I don't want a 2 year contract considering I'm young (Highschool) and if I were to quit the job, I'd be royally s c r e w e d. Lol
    So no credit check on a Month-To-Month? I can get it w/ a debit card?
    05-12-09 06:22 PM
    your better off with sprint. Im 18 and had no credit and just a debit card. They asked for a deposit though but it wasnt that bad. And i love my berry!
    05-13-09 03:05 AM
    Didn't Rogers buy out Sprint in Canada?
    05-13-09 03:24 AM
    AT&T does month to month.

05-13-09 08:15 AM
    Here's what you should do. Buy a used berry, craigslist is a great resource because you can actually go see the device and play with it and make sure it actually works.....unlike ebay. Most of the time the price is lower on CL.
    Then bite the bullet and pay the deposit for a plan, go with a month to month.
    This is a great way to get your credit established. And since your on a month to month plan if you have to cancel for some reason it won't reflect on your credit report.
    05-13-09 08:49 AM
    Here's what you should do. Buy a used berry, craigslist is a great resource because you can actually go see the device and play with it and make sure it actually works.....unlike ebay. Most of the time the price is lower on CL.
    Then bite the bullet and pay the deposit for a plan, go with a month to month.
    This is a great way to get your credit established. And since your on a month to month plan if you have to cancel for some reason it won't reflect on your credit report.
    Okay, It's not about the money I'm paying for a Blackberry, it's just about whether or not I have to have a credit card to buy it. I'm going to buy a new phone, and I'm willing to pay the deposit too. Like I said, I plan to go with the Month-To-Month. And my last post stated why. I'm not asking what I should do, or where I can get a cheap phone, or what plan I should pick.
    I don't mean to be rude, but I really don't care. I want a Blackberry, I'm willing to do what I need to in order to get one. My question was
    Do I need CREDIT? It was in the thread title, and in the first post. o.o
    Some people are really missing the point here.

So again, I'm not looking to change my service provider, or find a cheap phone. I'm not even close to a bargain hunter. I really don't care. I just wanted to know if I needed credit. And that's the only thing I'm not finding out.. Although most of the posts were quite helpful. Thanks, guys.
    05-13-09 03:08 PM
    YES you need some type of credit or else you have to put down a deposit. end of story!
    05-13-09 03:23 PM
    Okay, It's not about the money I'm paying for a Blackberry, it's just about whether or not I have to have a credit card to buy it. I'm going to buy a new phone, and I'm willing to pay the deposit too. Like I said, I plan to go with the Month-To-Month. And my last post stated why. I'm not asking what I should do, or where I can get a cheap phone, or what plan I should pick.
    I don't mean to be rude, but I really don't care. I want a Blackberry, I'm willing to do what I need to in order to get one. My question was
    Do I need CREDIT? It was in the thread title, and in the first post. o.o
    Some people are really missing the point here.

So again, I'm not looking to change my service provider, or find a cheap phone. I'm not even close to a bargain hunter. I really don't care. I just wanted to know if I needed credit. And that's the only thing I'm not finding out.. Although most of the posts were quite helpful. Thanks, guys.
    YES you need some type of credit or else you have to put down a deposit. end of story!
    You can get a Blackberry without credit! What you can do with it depends on your carrier.

Heres what you do:
    1. Get an unlocked GSM Blackberry or one that is branded to the carrier of your choice (ebay, craigslist, guy down the street?, full price from carrier without service plan)
    2. Get a prepaid SIM from your carrier
    3. DO NOT TELL CARRIER YOU HAVE A BLACKBERRY
    4. Insert SIM into phone
    5. DO NOT TELL CARRIER YOU HAVE A BLACKBERRY

You're done, you have a working blackberry without credit. No credit card, no credit check, probably don't even need ID. You can make phone calls, SMS, MMS, use WiFi for any web activities.
    Now, I don't know much about carriers in Canada. If you go with Rogers you might be able to get the $7 unlimited EGDE data. This is why you don't tell them you have a blackberry (or a smartphone). If you can, you will pretty much be able to do anything over the EDGE connection that doesn't require a Blackberry Internet Service (BIS) plan
    05-13-09 05:02 PM
    I just want to add, I have a javelin on TMobile US postpaid without a BIS plan, but with a regular data plan. I've had it for a few weeks and so far everything works except push email. And I found a usable workaround for that too. I use the GMail app and as long as it is running it will give me "push" updates. Alternatively you could forward all incoming mails to your phones email address and they will show up as a MMS, but unless you have a messaging plan this is probably not a good option.

When I say everything works, I've tried the following:
    • Blackberry browser
    • Blackberry maps
    • Blackberry messenger
    • PIN
    • AIM
    • GTalk
    • App world
    • and every third party app ive installed
    05-13-09 05:15 PM
    Yeah, that's what I meant too. That's what I want. I don't want a 2 year contract considering I'm young (Highschool) and if I were to quit the job, I'd be royally s c r e w e d. Lol
    So no credit check on a Month-To-Month? I can get it w/ a debit card?
    Yes you can get it with a debit card.
    I'm not familiar with Rogers but I do know that most month-to-month services do not require you have credit. You just need a valid credit/debit card to use one. They are similar to pre-paid services.

To answer your question:

No, you do not need credit to purchase just a Blackberry.
    No, you do not need credit for a month-to-month service; just a valid credit/debit card to pay for it.

05-13-09 06:47 PM
    I'm only in highschool.
    i'm planning to get a job so i can buy a blackberry.
    obviously, i don't have a credit card (although, i do have a debit).
    i think i'm going to pay for just the phone, which is pretty expensive,
    but i don't want to take the risk of missing a bill, or quitting the job on a 1-3 year contract.

the question is, do you need to have credit to purchase it?
    or will i be fine on a monthly?.. does it help if a parent comes with me? thanks.
    save your money till you are able to afford to buy one
    05-13-09 06:52 PM
    Thank you! Going to put down the deposit.

Yes you can get it with a debit card.
    I'm not familiar with Rogers but I do know that most month-to-month services do not require you have credit. You just need a valid credit/debit card to use one. They are similar to pre-paid services.

To answer your question:

No, you do not need credit to purchase just a Blackberry.
    No, you do not need credit for a month-to-month service; just a valid credit/debit card to pay for it.
    Thankks!

save your money till you are able to afford to buy one
    Well of course. That's what I plan to do. Thanks!
    05-13-09 08:44 PM
    Blue, if you put down a deposit, that means you are going to agree to a contract in exchange for a reduced price on a phone. Probably a minimum of one year. If you want a month to month plan, get a Rogers prepaid sim, choose the plan you want and add the $7 unlimited data plan. Then put the sim in your blackberry.

You will have a working blackberry with no contract, no credit check and no deposit. You will have to pay full price for the phone or buy it used. see my post above

BTW, do you already have a cell phone with rogers? if so what is your plan, are you on your parents plan?
    05-13-09 09:12 PM
    Blue, if you put down a deposit, that means you are going to agree to a contract in exchange for a reduced price on a phone. Probably a minimum of one year. If you want a month to month plan, get a Rogers prepaid sim, choose the plan you want and add the $7 unlimited data plan. Then put the sim in your blackberry.

You will have a working blackberry with no contract, no credit check and no deposit. You will have to pay full price for the phone or buy it used. see my post above

BTW, do you already have a cell phone with rogers? if so what is your plan, are you on your parents plan?
    No, the point of the deposit is because you don't have credit.. Am I wrong? o.o I was planning to get a regular phone (Twice!), But I really don't want it.. I want a Blackberry. My parents are with Rogers, and I've looked at the plans with them, and they satisfy me. And, I've had a prepaid phone before. I hate them..

You didn't see MY post. I said I don't care about the price, and I just wanted to know about the credit.. I don't want a prepaid plan. :S I'd prefer the Month-To-Month.
    05-13-09 09:41 PM
    In the States, you need credit to get a phone line with a cellphone carrier. The only thing you will be paying is the deposit. No credit? Carrier deposits can be between $150 to $700. Average to good credit, no deposit at all. Phones can be purchased without having to be on that carrier, but you will still be subject to credit checks in the future. Having your parents there could help if they can get passed the credit part.

TMobile has no deposit, just ask for the Flexpay Annual (2 Year) Contract, Promo price on the phone (w/ Mail In Rebates) and you just pay your first months bill

Could also do month to month.. don't even need a social for that.. just buy the phone at full retail price and pay your first months bill.. Flexpay Monthly Contract
    05-13-09 10:57 PM
    No, the point of the deposit is because you don't have credit.. Am I wrong? o.o I was planning to get a regular phone (Twice!), But I really don't want it.. I want a Blackberry. My parents are with Rogers, and I've looked at the plans with them, and they satisfy me. And, I've had a prepaid phone before. I hate them..

You didn't see MY post. I said I don't care about the price, and I just wanted to know about the credit.. I don't want a prepaid plan. :S I'd prefer the Month-To-Month.
    Youre right, I overlooked that you can get a month to month without a contract on Rogers. In the US, that option has mostly been dropped by the national carriers until TMo started flexpay. One thing to watch for is that some of their plans may be higher if you sign without a contract, so just ask them if there are any price differences
    05-13-09 11:03 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD