to access the BlackBerry App Store and use the Apps you purchase from it? Or can you connect to the BB App Store over Wi-fi and use the Apps you purchase from it over Wi-fi?
    12-01-09 06:59 PM
    I know that AT&T required a data plan if a iphone was purchased, but not if a BlackBerry was purchased, until recently. Now a data plan is required for a BB purchase also. That is what the store rep told me. I have always had a data plan with my BB, so in a nutshell, you may not need a data plan to do what you asked but it might cost some bucks in upload and download costs. Just my two cents.
    12-01-09 07:21 PM
    From what I know, you need a data plan (BIS or BES) for App World to work. Some apps go over WiFi, maybe some can go over wap, but most of them will require a plan.
    12-01-09 08:05 PM
    Yes, App World will not work. But all the apps i have have to work over wifi (no data). Logicmail, ubertwitter, and other sweet apps work just great without a data plan!
    12-01-09 09:22 PM
    you will need a data plan
    12-01-09 11:01 PM
    I must take what I said back! Answering another post on the 8520/30 Forum I checked (turned carrier network off and WiFi on) and AppWorld did work.

Browsed categories and downloaded an app from there over WiFi with no trouble.

I am myself surprised.

Yes, App World will not work. But all the apps i have have to work over wifi (no data). Logicmail, ubertwitter, and other sweet apps work just great without a data plan!
    Now, I can't get UberTwitter to work over WiFi. what did you do?
    12-02-09 09:38 AM
    to access the BlackBerry App Store and use the Apps you purchase from it? Or can you connect to the BB App Store over Wi-fi and use the Apps you purchase from it over Wi-fi?
    You can purchase applications from the website on your PC Browser, and download them to your PC and do a manual install through Device Manager.
    12-02-09 09:54 AM
    I must take what I said back! Answering another post on the 8520/30 Forum I checked (turned carrier network off and WiFi on) and AppWorld did work.

Browsed categories and downloaded an app from there over WiFi with no trouble.

I am myself surprised.
    But isn't that information still being routed through the BIS server? (Just like email would come across the WiFi connection but are still run through RIM's servers.)
    12-02-09 11:18 AM
    Go through your computer!
    12-02-09 03:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD