I was thinking about it, but then thought the few times I use it with these new applications to find things when I travel, I could just cut it on.

Seems like it would waste too much of my battery if I left it on all the time.

Just wondering on your thoughts.
    04-24-09 08:34 PM
    The only time I use it is with google maps otherwise its off to save battery life lol.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-24-09 08:40 PM
    I now leave it on all the time. Haven't seen any difference in battery life to when I would turn it on and off.

04-24-09 08:41 PM
    The only time I use it is with google maps otherwise its off to save battery life lol.

04-24-09 08:51 PM
    I leave it on all the time, to many button presses to turn it on if I need quick directions while driving.

I know I know I shouldn't be looking at my phone while driving
    04-24-09 08:53 PM

Ummm, ya said this already. Is your calendar still showing 420

04-24-09 08:59 PM
    I usually leave on, unless I'm planning heavy phone usage for the day and need every ounce of power.
    04-24-09 09:02 PM
    off... it's just a phone not an navi system for crying out loud
    04-24-09 09:08 PM
    lol, but why can't it be BOTH So much easier to carry / keep track of 1 device. And only need 1 car charger too
    04-24-09 09:11 PM
    Does it make a huge difference? I don't use it often but I leave it on because I'm too lazy to switch it on when I want to use Google Maps (probably no more than once a week). I charge my Storm overnight and by the time I get home at the end of the day, I'm usually at about 10~20% (according to the iVista theme).

If it makes a huge difference to a point where I don't have to charge my phone everyday, I'll definitely turn GPS off... if not, then I can go a full day without charging so I'll just leave it on.
    04-24-09 09:12 PM
    I haven't noticed a huge difference in battery life with it on and off. Nothing significant enough to justify the hassle of turning it on to use it, then off again after I am done with it.

04-24-09 09:16 PM
    I use Google Maps at least a couple timed a week. Used to turn the GPS on and off as required. My battery would last a day. I will say that I get a very weak signal when at work, which is the big reason for my battery drain. I got lazy and tired of clicking to turn the GPS on, so now I just it on all the time. My battery lasts just as long. I've seen no significant difference at all.

04-24-09 09:27 PM
    I leave mine on all the time and haven't noticed any significant different in battery life. I used to turn it on only when I needed it, but that got annoying.
    04-24-09 09:39 PM
    On and it shouldn't have any affect on battery unless an app calls it.

The GPS chip isn't used until an app calls it. Geotagging a pic, GMM or BB Maps calls it, WeatherBug accesses it.

Or another way to look at it is, you can't disable E911 GPS fix in any way. Despite the fact most cities don't have E911 capabilities
    Obviously, your phones aren't constantly sending E911 GPS info to a system that can't receive it.
    04-24-09 09:50 PM
    Not only that, but E911 GPS fix is only turned on when you dial 911.

04-24-09 10:01 PM
    I leave mine on as well. My phone makes it through the day with it on or off.
    04-24-09 10:17 PM
    Yeah I'm too lazy to turn it off then on it doesn't bother me any way.... As for battery if near a wall outlet or computer my storm is usually charging.

04-24-09 10:44 PM
    I leave it on for a VERY good reason.

Google latitude.

If I lose it or it gets stolen its possible to log in to google latitude on my pc and locate it from there.

04-25-09 12:24 AM
    Haven't noticed any difference whether it's on or off.
    04-25-09 04:00 AM
    hi guys,
    a stupid question.. but i wanna make sure that...
    will i be charged by using the GPS by my mobile service provider

thanks.
    04-25-09 05:10 AM
    oh yes it is...and quite a bit more than that. That's the whole idea behind these devices..to be more than a phone.
    04-25-09 05:22 AM
    I was thinking about it, but then thought the few times I use it with these new applications to find things when I travel, I could just cut it on.

Seems like it would waste too much of my battery if I left it on all the time.

Just wondering on your thoughts.
    I see absolutely no difference when my GPS locator is off or on. It's my understanding that the GPS locator has no effect on the battery when it is idle. If there's nothing using it, it's not consuming energy. I had the same experience when I had a WinMo device...I looked for the forum/thread from last year that discussed this issue in more detail but I could not find it.

hi guys,
    a stupid question.. but i wanna make sure that...
    will i be charged by using the GPS by my mobile service provider

thanks.
    No. Use of the GPS is free. It is certain software and services you pay for, like VZ Navigator. If you use Google Maps, for instance, you won't be charged for use of the GPS.
    Last edited by crackberryfan; 04-25-09 at 05:53 AM.
    04-25-09 05:44 AM
    I've never turned mine off.
    04-25-09 05:53 AM
    incorrect....with garmin it is the same as having a stand alone unit...that comes with a phone... so maybe it's just a navi system and not a bloody phone for crying out loud!
    04-25-09 07:21 AM
    I have stalker maps, latitude, running all the time.
    04-25-09 07:26 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD