03-17-08 10:24 AM
34 12
tools
    My friends and I were out recently for dinner and all of them have BlackBerries. Well one of their phones rang and we all gave the look because the conversation was flowing and we were all having a good time. The person answered the phone, than got up from the table and went outside for 15mins. Upon their return we gave the look of disgust and upon finding out that the call was not an emergency laid down some ground rules for dinner so that this never happened again.

1. All BB must be on vibrate or silent.
    2. If you must take a call than you must leave the table and not be gone for long periods of time.
    3. If bringing a guest to our dinners than they must be explained the rules.

Tell me do you answer your blackberry at dinner? Just curious not being judgemental....LOL

Peace,

Otto
    03-15-08 06:43 PM
    mmm off course no,
    but reply messages =) YES!
    03-15-08 06:47 PM
    i text sometimes, only if it will be a short reply. i only answer the phone if its my mom or other close family members.
    03-15-08 07:02 PM
    I Always Answer My Phone Or Reply To A Message, But I'm Not Rude About It.

You Know, I Say "Excuse Me"

BUT, I Don't Stay On The Phone Longer Than 1 Minute.
    03-15-08 07:02 PM
    Honestly I think that's way overreacting, he got up and left the table which is the polite thing to do. Emergency to you may not mean the same thing. Now picking up and talking at the table is worse. I think sending messages non stop is almost worse because you're clearly not interested in the conversation to do that. Proper etiquette however is to turn your phone off at dinner and not ever keep them on the table, but I would NEVER be offended if friends did that ever!
    03-15-08 07:05 PM
    My rules with friends/family calling my cell phone are real simple. If I don't answer I'm busy and if its really really important leave a message. If get a message I know there is something wrong, I excuse myself and return the call.
    03-15-08 08:18 PM
    Being a doctor makes difficult not to answer - a call, a page or an e-mail for sure, no browsing nor chat !!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-15-08 08:21 PM
    Number 1 rule... there are no rules. Answer, text, email, brick breaker, what ever you have to do! My Berry sounds off I'm getting to it like my life depends on it! lol Just me tho, its cool tho, my Wife does it too!
    03-15-08 08:29 PM
    Yep. I get so few calls that I feel obligated to answer any I get so I'll get more. lol
    03-15-08 10:27 PM
    Depending on the call, but I have no problem answering my BB at breakfast, lunch or dinner.
    03-15-08 10:35 PM
    BB gets loney....I'll always talk to her if she rings.....NO EXCEPTIONS
    03-15-08 10:42 PM
    Lol... I used to. Now I really don't. If it's important, a message will be left. Also it's easier if you have a bluetooth to do it.
    03-16-08 01:27 AM
    if i'm with people, no, but alone, yes.
    03-16-08 02:24 AM
    Call - I tell 'em I'll call them back
    Text/email - Immediate reply
    BBM - I tell 'em I'll talk later
    CrackBerry - Immediate reply

03-16-08 04:24 AM
    I don't confirm such rules with regard to social events such as dinner at a friends, a party, a restaurant etc. I will set my phone to vibrate, and if I know the call will be extended I will excuse myself from the table. In my line of work, I have to be available, and yes sometime a matter of minutes means a great deal. Does this annoy some people? Sure it does. Do they pay may bills? No, they don't.
    03-16-08 06:45 AM
    yes it makes me look important hahaha jk its usually my workers to call since its always a problem that theyre having at the work site
    03-16-08 07:24 AM
    i put it on vibrate. i'll ignore the calls. if it's important, they can leave a voicemail. but i never ignore the emails and sms's.
    03-16-08 09:38 AM
    if its a call i usually don't, but a text i'll usually respond to that... maybe just telling them I'll get back to them in a few
    03-16-08 09:43 AM
    Yep. I'll take calls with the polite routine of excusing myself. Can't stand it when people talk on the phone in the company of others that don't give a fig about the conversation. If someone goes on and on with a call, I find that making loud bodily function noises near them sometimes shortens the duration of their call. :-)

03-16-08 09:52 AM
    Nope - family time is family time... unless the place is burning down, dont bother me. family first business second.
    03-16-08 10:01 AM
    Well since I've learned about this "do not disturb feature" on my bb, I've been using it especially when I'm at the masjid or w/ my sons. But none the less unless you leave me a message on my vm, I will not rush to call back, and since I'm single I really could give a damn.

I always have 2 cells w/ me anyhow, bb is my personal and verizon is strictly for business and very few have that number that aren't business associates and they know if the call my business line and it isn't business I'm going to give them pure h*ll, I mean I shouldn't care because the work line has unlimited everything and the job pays for it but if its not business and my moms not hurt or stuck somewhere, don't call.

Also people hate that they can't get to me as easy as they could before, and I tell them you'll stand a better chance of email, jivetalk, txt then you will trying to call.

Last edited by muu; 03-16-08 at 03:38 PM.
    03-16-08 03:21 PM
    i answer some calls if i hear/feel them. i usually answer all messages (unless my fingers are dirty) lol
    03-16-08 05:04 PM
    I was BB Messaging during a play last night. I always answer.
    03-16-08 05:12 PM
    Only if I'm waiting to hear from someone important!
    03-16-08 05:31 PM
    I'm that guy, you know. The one who doesn't answer your calls or call you back.
    I know I'm too cool.
    My buddy was telling me the other day "its just a cell phone!" But I was telling him "I wish they would take the cell phone out."
    If its important send me a message.

03-16-08 09:25 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD