OK I appreciate in Business the name of the game is to have the best advantage over your competitors but....

Just found out that a local mobile phone shop recently looked into stocking the iPhone and was told that they could as long as they agreed the only advertising in the window, and outside, was for the iPhone so no competitor products.

It seems they said "No way". Not sure if this means they won't be selling them now.

I guess it's worth trying this tactic if you can get away with it, but kind of makes me wonder if this is the norm.
    09-04-13 09:47 AM
    OK I appreciate in Business the name of the game is to have the best advantage over your competitors but....

Just found out that a local mobile phone shop recently looked into stocking the iPhone and was told that they could as long as they agreed the only advertising in the window, and outside, was for the iPhone so no competitor products.

It seems they said "No way". Not sure if this means they won't be selling them now.

I guess it's worth trying this tactic if you can get away with it, but kind of makes me wonder if this is the norm.
    Not different from your local supermarket or drug stores. Major brands usually get eye level height shelve space compare to lesser brands that goes to the bottom of the shelves. These companies do pay for the privilege.
    09-04-13 09:51 AM
    OK fair enough, was just going on my experience (albeit many many years ago) when I worked in retail, we just put up posters of whatever brands we were sent and tried to get a good mix. How times change, still i'm kind of glad the shop said No.
    09-04-13 10:04 AM
    Not different from your local supermarket or drug stores. Major brands usually get eye level height shelve space compare to lesser brands that goes to the bottom of the shelves. These companies do pay for the privilege.
    Bingo! There is also a sort of science to how things are displayed, independent of the deals manufacturers make. Take your average supermarket cereal aisle or beverage aisle. Notice the healthy stuff is almost never on the lower shelves but the sugary ones are. Why? Because that stuff, the sugary stuff, is at eye level of the "customers" they are targeting...KIDS.
    09-04-13 10:12 AM