Seriously.

In my work life we call each other all the time, you have to. The inflection in a voice in business isn't just important, it's vital.

But in my private life everyone seems to SMS, BBM, Tweet or Facebook message each other, actually picking the phone up and talking to one another seems to have gone - whatever the possible misunderstandings.

I'm in my mid-forties. Has actually calling someone become unfashionable? My missus has her Z10 permanently on silent. She barely communicates by phone and when I need to speak to her I can't get hold of her because the thing never rings.

Is this Apple's legacy? After all, the iPhone is just an iPod app delivery system with a microphone and speakers that everyone has copied.

Or is it us? Are we that addicted to the thrill of the flashing LED or notification that we can't even converse anymore? Look around you the next time you are in a public place. Watch how many people are staring at their phones.

It's actually quite scary...
    10-08-13 06:06 PM
    I always prefer to call someone instead of writing if I really want to have a talk. If I just want to share a pic to laugh together it is ok to just send a message IMHO but for communicate talking is essential. Sadly there are a few people that consider "real" communication vital. As you said, noone talks anymore,noone calls anymore. Everybody just down tapping on the screen.. and we are asking why the world's going down.. Ok a bit apocalyptic. . Sorry guys,it's late in Italy,better go to bed! See ya!

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 06:23 PM
    I'm on my Z10 about 5 hours a day. But it's business. Best phone (you know for calls), I've ever had.
    10-08-13 06:23 PM
    Don't know where you work, but at my job its not acceptable to have a phone hanging off my ear making personal calls.

But sending a discrete text or bbm here and there that is not work related is entirely acceptable. (Mostly because nobody knows if i'm replying to an email about a lunch meeting or texting my girlfriend about dinner).
    10-08-13 06:25 PM
    I use the z10 for personal calls pretty much every day, some days for a few hours at a time. Talking is so much easier when there is a lot to say.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 06:28 PM
    Now that you mention it, I really don't call much. Hmmm.....

"If you can't soar with the eagles, then don't fly with the flock!" (BBM#18)
    10-08-13 06:32 PM
    I still make a decent number of phone calls, both personal and work related. My wife and I only have our cellphones, no dedicated home phone. Overall I'm not a big talker but my wife is, especially as student. So the phone part is still very important to the both of us.

By the way we both have Z10's.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 06:34 PM
    My calls are almost all business calls as well. Other than my wife calling to let me know she's off work and on her way home, nit many calls come in anymore.

Mlst of my friends commjnicate via SMS, BBM, Kik, or Google Hangouts. About the only way my kids communicate with me anymore is by text. I guess it is just a sign of the times.
    10-08-13 06:34 PM
    So far my personal use on my Z10 for call summary is: 8 Days, 18 Hours, 52 Minutes and 17 Seconds. Had mine in April. I use it regularly to talk and the quality and crisp sound is second to none.
    10-08-13 06:42 PM
    I agree; people do not communicate the way they use to do. Me personally, I would rather have an actual conversation over the phone, rather than text any day. With text messages, I don't feel as I have truly communicated with the other person. That being said, nothing beats the on the go quick fast text when you don't have time for a conversation, but when I have the time, I prefer to actually talk to the other person.
    10-08-13 06:42 PM
    I have never enjoyed talking on the phone, especially once I began using a cell phone. I find it uncomfortable, even painful at times. Yes, I prefer to communicate in other ways when I have the choice.
    10-08-13 06:55 PM
    It all depends on what you're trying to accomplish. SMS or BBM are fine for quick messages, but I wouldn't go so far as to call them a 'conversation' by any stretch of the imagination. Most of my calls are either business related or a weekly call to family that I don't see that often. Those calls are more productive than any message would have been since I'm not just trying to pass on information: I'm trying to communicate with someone. For the family calls, it's an attempt to be a part of what's going on in my relatives' lives; for the businesses calls it's trying to differentiate myself with good customer service. Even with my wife, if it's important I'll call while the 'what to take out for dinner' call is better served as a BBM.

My wife does talk more than I do, though she has a much larger family than I do to keep in touch with.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 07:00 PM
    I have been using bbm voice lately more and more, after reading about the clarity of it here on cb i though i would use it and you guys were right its crystal.

Does anyone use the video chat much, i haven't really used it much

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 07:01 PM
    95% of the time it's either email, bbm, text or whatsapp

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 07:02 PM
    Last month, I spoke on the phone for a grand total of: 97:25 minutes; I sent 5698 text messages and received 5423 text messages. For me, the phone portion is dead
    10-08-13 07:07 PM
    If things are important I call people, if not I text them.
    10-08-13 07:10 PM
    I talk on my Q10 all the time for personal things.
    Call the girlfriend from the office everyday, the doctors office, family. I just don't see phone calls becoming extinct on mobile, but it is scary that calling features are no longer the focal point of mobile devices.

Posted via CB10 on the lovely Q10!
    10-08-13 07:17 PM
    Several of my friends prefer phone calls to SMS actually, but I admit I'm not one of them. I have just 200 minutes a month on my phone plan, and on a very busy month I might use 60 of them. I easily exceed 1000 SMS messages in a month, on the other hand. Whenever I have genuinely important conversations, I prefer to skip the phone and go straight to face-to-face communications.
    10-08-13 07:22 PM
    I have a smartphone because first and foremost it is a PHONE. Talking to a person is always going to be the way I prefer to communicate. As I have said before, there is a lot that get's lost reading typed words. As an example, my sisters laugh is infinitely more enjoyable than reading her text LOL.

So yeah, I am a phone call first person and to this day I (PERSONALLY, so the children don't get "upset") still think SMS is one of the dumbest way to communicate. Then again, I still hand write letters, in cursive AND send them to people through the mail. Weird, I know....
    10-08-13 07:33 PM
    Several of my friends prefer phone calls to SMS actually, but I admit I'm not one of them. I have just 200 minutes a month on my phone plan, and on a very busy month I might use 60 of them.
    60 minutes? All month? I could blow through that in a single call to one of my sisters Come to think of it that 200 minutes wouldn't stand a chance either.
    LazyEvul likes this.
    10-08-13 07:34 PM
    60 minutes? All month? I could blow through that in a single call to one of my sisters Come to think of it that 200 minutes wouldn't stand a chance either.
    Hah, yeah, most people I tell are pretty shocked by that! But I don't have a job requiring much phone communication, and I much prefer meeting up with friends than just giving them a phone call. During the rare occasion that I might get a long phone call, it was usually initiated by the other person.
    10-08-13 07:42 PM
    Hah, yeah, most people I tell are pretty shocked by that! But I don't have a job requiring much phone communication, and I much prefer meeting up with friends than just giving them a phone call. During the rare occasion that I might get a long phone call, it was usually initiated by the other person.
    I hear ya, but my job notwithstanding I still prefer actual verbal conversations (face to face, phone, Skype). Especially in my personal life.
    10-08-13 07:46 PM
    I have to say calling is by far the better way for communication IMO. You can communicate so much more without having to type it all out and waste time. That's actually why I upgraded my plan to unlimited minutes and couldn't care less about the amount of texts.
    I mean, in certain instances, sending a message as a friendly note or reminder can be good, but for immediate contact and relay of information, calling is always better.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    10-08-13 07:50 PM
    Agree with you, OP. My ex only communicated by texting and it was incredibly frustrating. Call me old fashioned, but I still like hearing the sound of a person's voice over the phone and actually *talking* to him/her.

Sent from my sexy white hot Z10 in Sin City ;-)
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    10-08-13 07:54 PM
    I don't make a lot of calls but I receive quite a few and I have no land line. My cell is for everything like making appointments etc.
    10-08-13 07:55 PM
40 12