First, let me preface this I have been a devout BB user for the last 5 years. One of the things that has always frustrated me to no end is how often they lock up. It happened on my 8300, it happened on my 8900 and it happens on my 9800.

Case in point, someone asks me how to work out a formula for an exam, so I hand write it out with the intent of taking a picture of it and emailing it. Fifteen minutes later the phone is finally sending the pic.

First you take a pic, the flash goes off and suddenly the battery is dead. Never mind it was just at 40%, but this has been happening for a while so I figure I need a new battery. OS reboots and it decides it needs to think for a good 2-3 minutes before it does what I ask.

It has been like this on a semi-regular basis on every BlackBerry I've owned. Why is it so hard to have something where when I click say "Send: Email" that it does that in a timely fashion? It annoys me to no end.

So my question, since I've used very little other brands of smart phones, is if this is common elsewhere? Or is this a BB-centric problem?

AT&T screwed me on my upgrades, so I'm stuck with my junk 9800 for a while longer, but I'm debating jumping to Android now. The only thing that's kept me here is the dedicated keyboard, and even now I think I can live without that.

Am I the only one with these continual problems?
    12-18-11 05:19 PM
    I can say from my experience I never had these issues on my 9700 or 9900. Those are both BB's though.
    12-18-11 05:38 PM
    My BBs never froze like that. My BBs however did always lag a lot and I needed to battery pull every day (quickpull took care of that before I woke up) to make sure my device ran nicely. I have the 8330, 9000 and 9700. Never any problems with emails unless there was a service outage and the camera always worked as intended. I got random reboots every once in a while but it wasn't anything dramatic.
    12-18-11 05:46 PM
    I found that on my 8330 this happened when the phone's memory droped below 10mb, but with my 9650 I haven't come close to maxing out the memory and it happens every now and again when I'm trying to do 20 things at once. I guess the best advice I can give you is to limit your apps, I have approx 30 apps and my phone runs great
    12-18-11 05:48 PM
    I wouldnt say any phone is suppose to do that. Sounds like it might just be something with your phone or battery like you mentioned. Hopefully you can find a good rep that will get you a replacement or work out a deal somehow.
    12-18-11 05:53 PM
    Did you get the latest firmware?

If it makes you feel any better,my ****ty hacked android phone bombs out at least twice a day doing nothing at all.
    12-18-11 05:53 PM
    No replacement, I've had it for over a year and, like I said, AT&T screwed me on my last upgrade. It's been more or less doing it since I got it, but since my other BBs locked up like this so often I assumed it was a quirk of the OS.

Funny thing is, it doesn't have anything to do with memory as this happens after battery pulls too. And I hardly have any apps on it, so it's not that either.

Just frustrating.
    12-18-11 05:55 PM
    I can tell you that the new OS7 devices are a big step up.
    12-18-11 05:57 PM
    I can tell you that the new OS7 devices are a big step up.
    I figured that since the majority of my issues with the 9800 are hardware related.

I can upgrade in March on my wife's account even though her contract is a year newer than mine for whatever reason.
    12-18-11 05:59 PM
    No replacement, I've had it for over a year and, like I said, AT&T screwed me on my last upgrade. It's been more or less doing it since I got it, but since my other BBs locked up like this so often I assumed it was a quirk of the OS.

Funny thing is, it doesn't have anything to do with memory as this happens after battery pulls too. And I hardly have any apps on it, so it's not that either.

Just frustrating.
    Have you tried reloading the OS or upgrading to a different one? This may help.
    12-18-11 05:59 PM
    I come from the battery pulling, phone freezing BlackBerry world... To answer your question - no. No other phone I've owned is nearly as unreliable.
    12-18-11 06:00 PM
    Have you tried reloading the OS or upgrading to a different one? This may help.
    Yep, it's never solved the issue.

I'm of the mindset that when I have something it should work 95% of the time. I ended up learning how to build my own PCs because I was tired of the likes of Dell matching hardware components incorrectly or installing so much bloatware things grind to a halt.

I don't think it's out of line to ask for a phone that doesn't lock up multiple times in a day and/or need a daily battery pull.
    12-18-11 06:04 PM
    First you take a pic, the flash goes off and suddenly the battery is dead. Never mind it was just at 40%, but this has been happening for a while so I figure I need a new battery.
    Which OS release are you using? There are other BB users who are experiencing this kind of sudden battery deaths, but not widespread. I'm one of the unfortunate ones and it is a total PITA. Check out the 9780 sub-forums for battery deaths related threads. This would happen to me whether I have 70% or 90% or whatever amount of battery life left, and it only happens when I'm using the browser or camera. It would then reboot with either an empty battery or a dramatic cut in percentage. From there the % would increase slowly.

The weird part is, I can use other apps (games, foursquare, twitter, BBM) for the whole day and gradually drain my battery down without any sudden shutdown. I figured it was a bug with the OS release in the .6xx versions. I was using .650 and .666 when that happened, and I just installed .706 yesterday. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    12-18-11 06:32 PM
    FWIW, it might or might have anything to do with you. Reason I'm mentioning it at all is because you stated it happens on 3 of your devices and your example you gave.
    No I dont have that problem. What usually happens is someone gets a Blackberry at the word go they notice they can multitask. several different ways to this. app switcher, end key, or hold the the menu button. None of these stops the app your leaving. Any cpu can be bogged down.
    Try using the back button or closing your apps your not using with the menu button. This releases their their share on the clock.
    You mentioned your camera. why I dont know but the camera comes by default with geotagging enabled. Go into options and turn it off. while your here set the res. of your picture lower. Again for some strange reason there set to LARGE. People where complaining that I was posting large pictures. I didnt undrstand cause I was taking them with my phone then I worked it out.
    It takes the camera time to connect to gps and find you and get set to take a high res picture. If your posting a picture or seding it thru in a message you dont need these settings enabled.
    12-18-11 06:51 PM
    The only issue I ever had with freezing was on my Curve 8310 but it wasnt a common occurrance so not really that big a deal. Never had a problem with any other BB after that.
    12-18-11 07:12 PM
    FWIW, it might or might have anything to do with you. Reason I'm mentioning it at all is because you stated it happens on 3 of your devices and your example you gave.

No I dont have that problem. What usually happens is someone gets a Blackberry at the word go they notice they can multitask. several different ways to this. app switcher, end key, or hold the the menu button. None of these stops the app your leaving. Any cpu can be bogged down.

Try using the back button or closing your apps your not using with the menu button. This releases their their share on the clock.

You mentioned your camera. why I dont know but the camera comes by default with geotagging enabled. Go into options and turn it off. while your here set the res. of your picture lower. Again for some strange reason there set to LARGE. People where complaining that I was posting large pictures. I didnt undrstand cause I was taking them with my phone then I worked it out.

It takes the camera time to connect to gps and find you and get set to take a high res picture. If your posting a picture or seding it thru in a message you dont need these settings enabled.
    I'm pretty tech-literate so it's not as if I'm being stupid and leaving 20 apps open (if I had 20 apps installed).

Geotagging was disabled the first moment I got them, a rather needless feature. Take pictures at max res really shouldn't effect performance that much, and my issues are with the flash.
    12-18-11 10:34 PM
    OP this has got to be an application you have installed on each of the three devices.

It is the only commonality. You have an application the runs and ruins performance at the end of the day. Maybe the developer got lazy with coding who knows.

I suggest you do a device wipe and install each application one by one and test which one is the culprit.

My OS 7 device hasn't needed a battery pull yet (and hopefully won't in the future either). I did install an application (called LiveBee or some crap for shoutcast, and it slowed both my curve OS 6 and Bold OS 7 devices to a crawl. Deleted that sucker and back we were...)
    12-18-11 10:39 PM
    OP this has got to be an application you have installed on each of the three devices.

It is the only commonality. You have an application the runs and ruins performance at the end of the day. Maybe the developer got lazy with coding who knows.

I suggest you do a device wipe and install each application one by one and test which one is the culprit.

My OS 7 device hasn't needed a battery pull yet (and hopefully won't in the future either). I did install an application (called LiveBee or some crap for shoutcast, and it slowed both my curve OS 6 and Bold OS 7 devices to a crawl. Deleted that sucker and back we were...)
    That would make sense, except this is the first BB I've ever installed apps on. Didn't have a data plan prior to this one.
    12-18-11 11:05 PM
    9900 freezes once in every two days, its mo problem to me. My OS6 9700 used to freeze at least 5 times a day whcih was horrible.
    12-18-11 11:10 PM
    I'm pretty tech-literate so it's not as if I'm being stupid and leaving 20 apps open (if I had 20 apps installed).

Geotagging was disabled the first moment I got them, a rather needless feature. Take pictures at max res really shouldn't effect performance that much, and my issues are with the flash.
    Sorry man I wasn't insulting you. I meant no harm at all.
    I'm sorry I don't buy it at all. You say you've only installed apps and had data package on this device. There's no way your other devices froze and nothing was running. I have a 8310, 8520,9700, that I still play with and they run months without a reset. On my torch I power use and never see hourglass.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by 13echo4; 12-19-11 at 12:07 AM.
    12-18-11 11:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD