It was with great sadness that I discovered "Do Not Disturb" mode is no longer a part of the PHONE Profiles section. It was not often that I required the use of "Do Not Disturb", obviously, since I wasn't aware of it's removal since upgrading my Curve 8330 (which had the feature) to my Tour 9630 and now my Bold 9650.

I am currently in a situation that requires the use of "Do Not Disturb" mode. The only way that I can think of to simulate such a mode would be to install the Google Voice application and have my friends & family call that phone number instead of the Verizon phone number. I will also have to make the ringer silent, turn the LED off and disable vibration.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on how I could achieve what "Do Not Disturb" so easily provided BlackBerry users? A better question might be: Why the heck did RIM remove the feature in the first place? It probably wasn't a widely used feature, but through speaking with fellow BlackBerry users, I've found that some DO use it quite often on their older model devices.

Any ideas? Other than using Google Voice, like I am planning on doing?
    11-30-10 12:10 PM
    just select the profile "All Alerts Off"? that profile is set-up to turn off "ALL" notifications, such that, unless you are physically looking at the phone, you will have no clue if anyone calls, texts, calendar reminders, etc. the only thing that profile doesnt do is turn off the cellular radio, which you can also do from the "Manage Connections" app.

if you are really in a situation that you cannot be disturbed, i would suggest turning the radio off and selecting the "All Alerts Off" profile.
    11-30-10 12:42 PM
    I understand your frustrations. Other suggestions, as helpful as they can be, are not equivalent replacements for the "Do Not Disturb" feature. The "Do Not Disturb" feature transfers calls directly to voicemail, almost instantaneously, without the call taking up your screen for 20 seconds. All you get is a "missed call" splash screen. My only gripe with "Do Not Disturb" is its failure to perform as expected with notification profile exceptions. I can only hope RIM puts "Do Not Disturb" back and fixes the problem I mentioned before I need or choose to get a new device.
    11-30-10 01:11 PM
    I understand your frustrations. Other suggestions, as helpful as they can be, are not equivalent replacements for the "Do Not Disturb" feature. The "Do Not Disturb" feature transfers calls directly to voicemail, almost instantaneously, without the call taking up your screen for 20 seconds. All you get is a "missed call" splash screen. My only gripe with "Do Not Disturb" is its failure to perform as expected with notification profile exceptions. I can only hope RIM puts "Do Not Disturb" back and fixes the problem I mentioned before I need or choose to get a new device.
    you can get the same thing by turning off the radio under "Manage Connections", except you wont see a missed call notification.
    11-30-10 01:31 PM
    you can get the same thing by turning off the radio under "Manage Connections", except you wont see a missed call notification.
    I'm on CDMA. If I turn off the radio, I won't have data either. No email or messengers. Sometimes I want data but no phone calls.
    11-30-10 01:34 PM
    I'm on CDMA. If I turn off the radio, I won't have data either. No email or messengers. Sometimes I want data but no phone calls.
    sorry, if RIM took it out of the blackberry os, chances are its not coming back.
    11-30-10 01:45 PM
    sorry, if RIM took it out of the blackberry os, chances are its not coming back.
    Hmmmm. Does this mean transferring encrypted files from device to computer using Desktop Software probably isn't coming back either since it's currently unavailable in version 6?
    11-30-10 02:27 PM
    Hmmmm. Does this mean transferring encrypted files from device to computer using Desktop Software probably isn't coming back either since it's currently unavailable in version 6?
    my point was this: since "Do Not Disturb" was a feature of the 4.x OS builds, is not part of the OS5.x builds, is STILL not included in the OS6.x builds, chances are its gone for good. similar to the key-lock / standby feature being changed in later OS5.x builds.
    11-30-10 02:30 PM
    Chaces are very good they took it out because too many people would set that mode to on and then wonder why they couldn't get any calls to come in. Trust me, I've seen my fair share of those users complaining about a phone problem when in fact there wasn't one... they just had DND turned on.

What better way to keep people from shooting themselves in the foot then to just take the gun away?
    11-30-10 07:45 PM
    Yea, but I hate that way of doing things: make everybody go without, because idiots can't figure it out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-30-10 09:03 PM
    Yea, but I hate that way of doing things: make everybody go without, because idiots can't figure it out.
    thats exactly how it is with everything sold in america.
    12-01-10 06:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD