you are on a good contract package.

As much as I like Blackberry's and tell friends that they need one, I have to admit if it wasn't for the back up service from T-Mobile UK, who have been brilliant, I would not be a happy chappie. In fact, I would be anti Blackberry.

My story:
    Three years ago I worked freelance for a company where email was the primary means of communication.
    Since then I have taken out consecutive 18 month contracts (Flext 35) with T-Mobile UK, business.

I started with an 8700g. Then an 8300. Then an 8900.

To the best of my recollection this is what happened.

BB no1
    8700. After downloading a free theme via 'blackberry help' icon I had the 'white screen and egg timer' preventing me operating the phone.

BB no2
    8700. After downloading a theme from a 3rd party I again had the 'white screen and egg timer' preventing me operating the phone. T-Mobile said that as it was a 3rd party app that I should strictly have to pay. They didn't charge me though but sent a 'free' replacement next day.

BB no 3
    8700. The trackwheel eventually froze. As the 8700 was no longer supplied by T-Mobile I was offered next day,

BB no 4
    8300. Two of the letter keys on the pad weren't always clicking. So next day,

BB no 5
    8300. Trackwheel froze. I took it out, refitted and it worked. Soon it happened again. This time I rang T-Mobile who offered next day

BB no 6
    8900. Twice the trackball has frozen but after a day or so has cleared. Now it has happened a third time and won't clear. So today I am waiting in for my next day replacement from T-Mobile UK of

BB no 7
    8900. Here's to hoping this one lasts.

Now during all this period (3 years) I have had and still used the same phone that I have had for about 5-6 years and what I still consider one of the best phones as opposed to 'smart' phones, .....the Nokia 1100........ It cost me �5 on Virgin PAYG. Nothing has ever gone wrong with it. It even has a torch lol.

I no longer really need instant handheld access to my email. I've just got used to it.
    But it's like colour TV. I don't really need it but I wouldn't want to go back to black and white.

I have to say though that if it wasn't for the excellent next day replacement service from T-Mobile UK Business I would not be extolling the virtues of Blackberry.

So my advice now to anyone that I recommend Blackberry to is;

Blackberry's? They will eventually break down. So if you do decide to get one, make sure you have top class back up from your contract service provider.

Or else get a Nokia 1100.
    05-22-09 02:27 AM
    Sorry, but the problems you had with your BB's seemed kind of repetitive and not the most common, so I'm going to say "user error."

With that said, I disagree. They will break down just like any other phone, but not very soon unless the phone is constantly abused.
    05-22-09 02:31 AM
    Everything breaks down eventually. It isn't just because it's a Blackberry.

Back when I was on Sprint I went through 4 Motorola i710's in a 2 month period. The original phone's mic stopped working and no one could hear me on the other line. The second one's speaker didn't work and I couldn't hear the person I was speaking with. The third one would constantly freeze and I would have to pull the battery and the fourth one had speaker problems again. The fifth one I received finally worked properly.

My point is not every single device to hit the market is perfect. Sometimes there are bugs, sometimes devices are defective. It happens with all electronics and almost everything else man has created.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-09 02:39 AM
    I've had mine since february and so far everything has been good.

05-22-09 02:43 AM
    some people just get dud phones. a lot of problems people have can be solved with simple fixes, but instead they just send it back and expect multiple bb's. I can understand if it's an unfixable issue or would void a warranty, but come on.
    05-22-09 02:44 AM
    The unluckiest BB user goes to....

you are on a good contract package.

As much as I like Blackberry's and tell friends that they need one, I have to admit if it wasn't for the back up service from T-Mobile UK, who have been brilliant, I would not be a happy chappie. In fact, I would be anti Blackberry.

My story:
    Three years ago I worked freelance for a company where email was the primary means of communication.
    Since then I have taken out consecutive 18 month contracts (Flext 35) with T-Mobile UK, business.

I started with an 8700g. Then an 8300. Then an 8900.

To the best of my recollection this is what happened.

BB no1
    8700. After downloading a free theme via 'blackberry help' icon I had the 'white screen and egg timer' preventing me operating the phone.

BB no2
    8700. After downloading a theme from a 3rd party I again had the 'white screen and egg timer' preventing me operating the phone. T-Mobile said that as it was a 3rd party app that I should strictly have to pay. They didn't charge me though but sent a 'free' replacement next day.

BB no 3
    8700. The trackwheel eventually froze. As the 8700 was no longer supplied by T-Mobile I was offered next day,

BB no 4
    8300. Two of the letter keys on the pad weren't always clicking. So next day,

BB no 5
    8300. Trackwheel froze. I took it out, refitted and it worked. Soon it happened again. This time I rang T-Mobile who offered next day

BB no 6
    8900. Twice the trackball has frozen but after a day or so has cleared. Now it has happened a third time and won't clear. So today I am waiting in for my next day replacement from T-Mobile UK of

BB no 7
    8900. Here's to hoping this one lasts.

Now during all this period (3 years) I have had and still used the same phone that I have had for about 5-6 years and what I still consider one of the best phones as opposed to 'smart' phones, .....the Nokia 1100........ It cost me �5 on Virgin PAYG. Nothing has ever gone wrong with it. It even has a torch lol.

I no longer really need instant handheld access to my email. I've just got used to it.
    But it's like colour TV. I don't really need it but I wouldn't want to go back to black and white.

I have to say though that if it wasn't for the excellent next day replacement service from T-Mobile UK Business I would not be extolling the virtues of Blackberry.

So my advice now to anyone that I recommend Blackberry to is;

Blackberry's? They will eventually break down. So if you do decide to get one, make sure you have top class back up from your contract service provider.

Or else get a Nokia 1100.
    05-22-09 02:45 AM
    BB no 5
    The 8300 has a trackball not wheel. And most people do not have these kind of problems.
    05-22-09 08:56 AM
    Seriously I have had a 7100, 8700, 8300, 8320, 8330, 8800, and a Storm

And yet the only phone I ever had problems with was my Storm. And that was just a buggy operating system.

So quite honestly....I would say its user error. Either that or T-Mobile UK really hates you and is giving you returns because they are sick of replacing your phones the next day with brand new ones
    05-22-09 12:29 PM
    Thanks Shao128 for replying. Yes you're correct. I wrote trackwheel instead of trackball.
    What I meant to say was, the trackball froze. I hope nobody was misled there. Very similar if not same problem at the end of the day.

And yes, I would strongly agree that the majority of Blackberry owners do not have these kind of problems. My brother, who I recommended Blackberry to, still has the same 8300 for at least the past 12 months and has only needed to take out and clean the trackball once. My son-in-law hasn't had any problems with his 8900 as recommended by myself.

Don't get me wrong I still like my Blackberry and wouldn't want to be without it. All I'm saying is I'm glad i've got the next day back up from T-Mobile.

By the way, the new 8900 arrived this morning and the back up/restore feature is a godsend.

I don't know if any other phone manufacturers provide that service but it's a must if your phone ever does crash.

Thanks
    05-22-09 12:30 PM
    I have never had any of these problems with any of my BBs. Sorry it happened to you.

05-22-09 02:00 PM
    I have had problems with my bb's I have the 6th one coming today

First 3 were memory issues with the 8830. And the next one was a curve that with in a week split down the side with the usb port they sent me a new one and I am having problems with the usb port on this one so I am getting another one.

The first 8830 I had a problem with was a bit of both user and bb error, I had memory problems with all of them, but I didn't know enuff about bb's to figure out what was wrong.
    The first phone would keep call logs at all and I kept losing my txt 2 to 3 times a day. Vzw did every thing they could and sent me a new one. The 2nd phone kept the logs, but again, I kept lossing messages. They replaced it with another one and I still had problems. I never downloaded much, if anything because I was so new to bb's and hadn't found cb yet.... I never had much free mem. Usually had about 7-12 of free. I was able to replace it with a curve abd don't have anymore memory problems - and I have a ton of junk on this thing lol

05-22-09 02:30 PM
    You know how some people can't wear watches because something about their body chemistry flubs with the watches' internal mechanisms, and the watches break way before they're supposed to?

I think you know know where I'm going with this ...

05-22-09 02:50 PM
    Seriously....I've had blackberries and sold blackberries for years and never heard of half the problems with these...Splitting down the side? thats not a blackberry issue....thats a stop dropping your phone issue.
    05-22-09 03:30 PM
    I've had my bb for 6 months and have not had one single problem. However a friend of mine who had a pearl before me had to get it changed 3 times because the trackball kept giving out. I guess, like was said before, not every bb that comes off the line is perfect. I dislike Telus because when you send it in for repairs they end up sending you a refurbished phone, I dunno if any other carrier is like this but I really don't like it! All that being said, if I didn't have my bb now I would diem, haha!
    05-22-09 03:52 PM
    I've had my bb for 6 months and have not had one single problem. However a friend of mine who had a pearl before me had to get it changed 3 times because the trackball kept giving out. I guess, like was said before, not every bb that comes off the line is perfect. I dislike Telus because when you send it in for repairs they end up sending you a refurbished phone, I dunno if any other carrier is like this but I really don't like it! All that being said, if I didn't have my bb now I would diem, haha!
    I dunno about internation carriers but I know every US carrier sends out refurbs too
    05-22-09 04:43 PM
    This picture of the OP having lunch may explain the problem with messed up trackballs and keyboards....

05-22-09 04:49 PM
    User Error quite obviously!
    05-22-09 05:03 PM
    I used to work at a cellular phone production warehouse and sometimes the production line produced defective units. It just happens! So maybe this is the case here.
    05-22-09 05:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD