Hi All,

Do I need to sign up for BB Protect or is it automatic? After I get it up and running, does it update on its own or do I need to synch updates?

I have lost too much data on other broken devices and want to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Thanks.
    05-27-15 02:41 PM
    This is a multi-part answer (has to be since you provided ZERO detail).

Do you need to sign up? No. It's part of your BBID.

Do you need to update it? Only if you are on legacy devices, BB10 has it built in.

Can you use it as a backup/restore? Only if start at a legacy device. Legacy devices support cloud backup/restore. BB10 can only restore from a cloud backup made from a legacy device.
    web99 likes this.
    05-27-15 04:39 PM
    BlackBerry Protect (for BlackBerry 10) is nothing more than software to find your device if lost or stolen. Turn BlackBerry Protect on in your settings and that's it. If you ever need to use Protect, you just login to the BlackBerry Protect site.

As for backing up your data... use BlackBerry Link.

(BlackBerry Protect has nothing to do with your data or backups. This is a bit different from old BlackBerry "legacy" devices)

Posted via CB10
    BluePumpkinBerry likes this.
    05-27-15 11:55 PM
    BlackBerry Protect (for BlackBerry 10) is nothing more than software to find your device if lost or stolen.
    Untrue. It can restore backups made from a BBOS device. Also, ALL other functions are working if you access the web panel. More over, it will have a kill switch option which is being tested on Beta.

Did you bother reading my post?
    05-28-15 08:18 PM
    Untrue. It can restore backups made from a BBOS device. Also, ALL other functions are working if you access the web panel. More over, it will have a kill switch option which is being tested on Beta.

Did you bother reading my post?
    Yes I did read your post. Did you bother to read my full post rather than quoting a piece of it?

Posted via CB10
    midnightdoom likes this.
    05-28-15 11:54 PM
    Yes I did read your post. Did you bother to read my full post rather than quoting a piece of it?
    Quoting the full post would imply I disagreed with the full thing.

Lean to forum.
    05-29-15 08:27 AM
    Quoting the full post would imply I disagreed with the full thing.

Lean to forum.
    Try again. What do you disagree with?

By asking if I read your post, you implied that I was misinformed when in fact I originally wrote that BlackBerry Protect would have different purposes for legacy devices.

Not sure what you are in disagreement about as I specified BB10 even in your out of context quote. For a new BlackBerry customer buying a BlackBerry 10, BlackBerry Protect is nothing more than software to help with a lost or stolen device.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-15 09:45 AM
    Yah like others have said.. with BB10 protect is mainly the same as "Find my iPhone" to locate, lock, wipe, or send a pop in message, some features like backup have been removed for bb10, so backup on your computer regularly if your concerned about loosing data.

Also remember to keep your location services on if you think you may need Protect otherwise you won't be able to locate it. Seems logical but lots keep it off so apps can't snoop.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-15 11:20 AM
    Not sure what you are in disagreement about as I specified BB10 even in your out of context quote. For a new BlackBerry customer buying a BlackBerry 10, BlackBerry Protect is nothing more than software to help with a lost or stolen device.
    I hate having to repeat myself.
    05-29-15 08:14 PM
    I hate having to repeat myself.
    Clearly, something is off with your comprehension. I was asking for clarification, not for you to repeat the same thing. I already wrote that I read your post.

If I am new to BlackBerry and just got any BlackBerry 10 device, can you please explain how BlackBerry Protect would be helpful to me if I did not misplace/lose my device and if I do not believe it to be stolen?

Maybe I'm missing something, but for BlackBerry 10 we have Link and Blend. The OP was concerned with data and I advised to backup via Link.

Adding a "kill switch" is of no use from my perspective unless the device is, again, lost or stolen. You ignored my original post stating that this would be different for legacy devices (regarding data/backups, etc.).

So, again, if you would like to clarify for me what you disagree with in your quoted piece that I wrote... for BlackBerry 10, BlackBerry Protect is nothing more than software to help with a lost or stolen device... please enlighten me.

I'd be receptive to learning anything new about BlackBerry Protect for my BB10s.

Your posts in this thread have been nothing but negative and an extreme turnoff for anyone seeking help here.

I'd be clueless about a lot regarding BlackBerry if it wasn't for the help of those on this forum and I am thankful for that.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-15 09:22 PM
    Disagreeing with something you said isn't being negative. Your user case is NOT the OP's user case. I am replying in a way to help the OP. You can me guns hot with info that does not qualify on its entirety to the OP's case.

You got some of your info wrong. Nothing I can do about it but point on it. You wanna drag this on? I don't. I would even be willing to clarify had you stated your doubts as such then. Wasted opotunity there.

OP, best of luck. #out
    05-29-15 09:39 PM