Hi Guys

I want to buy a Storm but I wonder do I need a internet connection to use the GPS? Or its already working without it??

Thank You
    06-19-09 05:28 AM
    Not sure why people think data and gps go hand in hand.

No worries dude, gps doesn't use data
    06-19-09 05:34 AM
    Don't need an internet connection...but you do need a signal.
    06-19-09 05:36 AM
    Well if you buy a storm on vzw you MUST get the BB data plan so the question doesn't matter

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-19-09 06:42 AM
    Well if you buy a storm on vzw you MUST get the BB data plan so the question doesn't matter

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Touch�
    06-19-09 06:45 AM
    Touch�
    He asked if an internet connection was necessary, not a data plan. Will the GPS work, for instance, with apps that don't require the download of real-time maps like Google Maps or VZ Navigator? It's my understanding that apps like Trekbuddy will work if you're in an area that has a bad data connection.
    06-19-09 07:06 AM
    As long as all you need is merely location, then your GPS will work without any phone signal. If you were using an app that combined data and GPS like Poynt or SuperPages, you would have trouble if you did not have a phone signal.
    06-19-09 07:22 AM
    Thanks guys for all the answears. Now I will for sure buy a Blackberry Storm.
    I know that there is several GPS applications that I can put on the Storm.
    Which one u preffer?
    06-19-09 09:31 AM
    Thanks guys for all the answears. Now I will for sure buy a Blackberry Storm.
    I know that there is several GPS applications that I can put on the Storm.
    Which one u preffer?
    What do you want to use it for? Driving directions? Geocaching? Recording hiking/jogging? You've asked the equivelent of "what kind of car should I buy?" Without knowing more, it's hard to recommend any apps.
    06-19-09 11:15 AM
    He is right. Without knowing exactly what you might be wanting to do with the GPS thing, we could tell you a bunch of things and it would probably not be the right thing.

The Data portion of VZ Navigator and Google Maps is basically them providing data for you.

A better example I could give is the situation like MS Streets program if you used one of the MS based Smartphones or PDA systems. Streets has a smaller app where you install maps from your Streets program on your PC onto the Smartphone/PDA to use. From there, the app will use the GPS to pinpoint you where you are on that loaded map.

VZNavigator and Google Maps does it a different way where it communicates back to a server saying "Hey, I am here, give me a map for this general location." It will download a generalized map for that location as well as some 'hotspots' until you go into the next area.

The limitation of the above methods... Streets - Maps are limited to the size you define them to be and the memory of the device you put it on. Whether or not this is the same for other map programs you can get for the BB, I would hazard to guess this would be the case. The pro - you can do this without a data plan. Con - Limitation of memory on your device and also the need to make sure your program that generates the map has up to date information if you use it for navigation purposes.

The Google Map/VZ Navigator - Pros - Should have fairly up to date information, although can't guarantee that it will have up to date traffic information. It will also not have a limitation to the map size. Con - No data connectivity == Shortage of information in most cases. Depending on how the application handles map pre-caching of map information or how they handle Location to Destination mapping and directions, you might find yourself SOL if you are out of Cell Range to get a map if you go beyond what maps the pre-caching allowed for.
    06-19-09 11:29 AM
    Okay. I will use the GPS for directions. I like to drive a lot.
    06-19-09 11:39 AM
    06-19-09 11:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD