To the original poster, are you sure that BIS is seperate from data? I think you may be confusing a typical PDA/smartphone plan with the BIS. If it really is called BIS down in Venezuela, then you should get INTERNET as that is part of the plan. I've never heard of anyone, anywhere that has had to get a phone plan, BIS, and a data plan. If so, I think you're being completely ripped off.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-08 01:15 PM
    For the record i don't know anyone that works for AT&T/Cingular and I don't work there either so I have no connects to any 'High Level Tech" to do any under the table provisioning for me.

I have been going strong for over 5 years and no problems. PIN service is FREE. Anyone care to dispute that fact?

Somehow to date they CANNOT blok the FREE PIN service WITHOUT blocking BIS Access. If they Block PIN Service WHICH IS FREE AND A SELLING POINT FOR THE DEVICE then they open themselves up to a huge class action suit.

How do they get around it? They trick you non-believers into paying for a BB Data plan.

I'm good. My Emails still get pushed to my BB. Emails still work and My Bill (and My Wifes) is still without a BB Data plan.

All I do is offer the info to you guys. You can take the Blue Pill or the Red Pill. The choice is yours! LOL
    05-26-08 01:18 PM
    Bla1ze is a god. LOL

If that poster has been getting away with that for this long, you bet he should be knocking on wood. I would hate to see what would happen if the carrier caught on.
    05-26-08 01:22 PM
    For the record i don't know anyone that works for AT&T/Cingular and I don't work there either so I have no connects to any 'High Level Tech" to do any under the table provisioning for me.

I have been going strong for over 5 years and no problems. PIN service is FREE. Anyone care to dispute that fact?

Somehow to date they CANNOT blok the FREE PIN service WITHOUT blocking BIS Access. If they Block PIN Service WHICH IS FREE AND A SELLING POINT FOR THE DEVICE then they open themselves up to a huge class action suit.

How do they get around it? They trick you non-believers into paying for a BB Data plan.

I'm good. My Emails still get pushed to my BB. Emails still work and My Bill (and My Wifes) is still without a BB Data plan.

All I do is offer the info to you guys. You can take the Blue Pill or the Red Pill. The choice is yours! LOL

Yeah, I'll do things the right way thanks, because in my honest opinion, you are playing with fire. Even the infamous loophole for Rogers/Bell was something I used in case of emergencies only.
    05-26-08 01:24 PM
    Yeah, I'll do things the right way thanks, because in my honest opinion, you are playing with fire. Even the infamous loophole for Rogers/Bell was something I used in case of emergencies only.

I'm not exactly sure how I'm "Playing with Fire." I'm not a hacker and I pay my bill every month on time. My BB comes DIRECTLY from AT&T/Cingular ordered from MY ACCOUNT and is NOT unlocked. Not to mention , My wife has T-Mobile and she doesn't for BB Data either and never misses an email and hasn't since she got her BB a year an a half ago.

Major Corporations have you guys so terrified that you will pay unecessary fees to avoid getting them "mad at you"?!?!? F them. All of you should get the service you deserve and should not have to pay extra unecessarily.

Again, I 'm not doing anything illegal and at trust me, 5 plus years later and no BB data Plan on one Carrier and a year and a half later w/no BB plan on aother carrier with not an email missed if you want to continue to believe that for some reason I'm LUCKY then go ahead and keep spending our hard earned money for no reason!
    05-26-08 01:34 PM
    Asked and answered. If you want to use the Internet for anything on a Blackberry you have to use their Internet service. Texting isn't Internet though so you can get a voice plan that includes texting and use the Blackberry for that. But if you want to get on the Internet you have to get BIS. Not sure about other carriers but with Verizon it doesn't cost much more than mobile web but does a whole lot more. Except V-Cast, which won't run on a Blackberry anyway.
    05-26-08 01:43 PM
    I'm not exactly sure how I'm "Playing with Fire." I'm not a hacker and I pay my bill every month on time. My BB comes DIRECTLY from AT&T/Cingular ordered from MY ACCOUNT and is NOT unlocked. Not to mention , My wife has T-Mobile and she doesn't for BB Data either and never misses an email and hasn't since she got her BB a year an a half ago.

Major Corporations have you guys so terrified that you will pay unecessary fees to avoid getting them "mad at you"?!?!? F them. All of you should get the service you deserve and should not have to pay extra unecessarily.

Again, I 'm not doing anything illegal and at trust me, 5 plus years later and no BB data Plan on one Carrier and a year and a half later w/no BB plan on aother carrier with not an email missed if you want to continue to believe that for some reason I'm LUCKY then go ahead and keep spending our hard earned money for no reason!

You just got lucky either that or you annoy the crap out of the customer service agents you talk to they just give you what you want to get you off of the phone (Hey, I've done it before) :P ...Like I said..knock on wood every day..someday the system will catch up to you...possibly sonner then you think, especially with new BIS 2.5 set to launch anyday now.

Although, since you are here...and since your sharing this information with all of the internets, I wouldn't go posting your PIN or email address.
    Last edited by Bla1ze; 05-26-08 at 01:48 PM.
    05-26-08 01:43 PM
    5 Years and counting. Not worried at all because neither me nor my wife are getting anymore than we are suppose to get

When they release BIS 2.5 it will be the same story. When the BB Bold is released I'll order one from AT&T, Never Unlock it, log onto BIS and Change the device info to my new BB and tell you the same story.

I'm not "Lucky." it seems that some of you are just stuck in the Matrix!
    05-26-08 01:50 PM
    If you're talking about service with AT&T, then yes, to access online you need at the very least BIS. AT&T only offers two data plans for BlackBerry's, BIS and BES.

05-26-08 03:28 PM
    5 Years and counting. Not worried at all because neither me nor my wife are getting anymore than we are suppose to get

When they release BIS 2.5 it will be the same story. When the BB Bold is released I'll order one from AT&T, Never Unlock it, log onto BIS and Change the device info to my new BB and tell you the same story.

I'm not "Lucky." it seems that some of you are just stuck in the Matrix!

I don't know about AT&T, but Verizon's 8703's DIDN'T require a data plan, but all the new ones do. I would be willing to bet the new devices (Pearl, Curve, and the upcoming Bold) won't function without a paid BB plan. Good luck upgrading! But I have a feeling you'll be stuck with your last generation 8700 unless you start coughing up the money!
    05-26-08 04:27 PM
    Oh no he won't, we're just stuck in the Matrix or some such nonsense.
    05-26-08 04:33 PM
    A quick question: I have been [3yrs] and continue to subscribe to an ATT orange unlimited international data plan which is in a BES plan hooked to a Microsoft Exchange. My 8300 is in sync with my Mac, Windows mobile device, and a windows xp lap top.
    This weekend, I switched my ATT blue sim card into a new UNLOCKED 8120. After a bit of discussion, I was able to purchase an unlimited data plan with ATT.
    I am able to sync my email with my curve and other devices. However, I cannot sync my calendar & tasks.
    On the 8120, it asked me to activate Enterprise. I did.

ATT says that on my Blue sim, I can't subscribe to BIS or BES.

Comments anyone? Both my BB's are on separate unlimited data plans.
    How can I sync wirelessly my calendar onto my blue sim?
    Or am I just lucky to get email?
    thanks.
    05-26-08 05:42 PM
    I don't know about AT&T, but Verizon's 8703's DIDN'T require a data plan, but all the new ones do. I would be willing to bet the new devices (Pearl, Curve, and the upcoming Bold) won't function without a paid BB plan. Good luck upgrading! But I have a feeling you'll be stuck with your last generation 8700 unless you start coughing up the money!
    My wife has a Curve (Not Unlocked) Purchased directly from T-Mobile, T-Mobile as her carrier, and NO BB DATA PACKAGE. Her emails work just fine as well. Not really expecting to "cough up money" anytime soon.
    05-26-08 07:47 PM
    To the original poster, are you sure that BIS is seperate from data? I think you may be confusing a typical PDA/smartphone plan with the BIS. If it really is called BIS down in Venezuela, then you should get INTERNET as that is part of the plan. I've never heard of anyone, anywhere that has had to get a phone plan, BIS, and a data plan. If so, I think you're being completely ripped off.
    Here you need 3 plans: your regular voice plan (mine includes 60 minutes to every operator a month, 200 sms, and they give you 5 mb of data), for like 15$ a month. Also, a data plan, which is about 25$ for unlimited grps or edge if you are lucky. And then, the blackberry internet service. There is a combo, that sells you 500mb of data with the blackberry internet service.

You can get better plans , but they don't work for every operator. For example, if i am on AT&T, the minute to make a call to T-Mobile is a lot more expensive than an AT&T to AT&T call. Yes, it sucks. But i wonder how do you guys accept such a strict monopoly that only allows you to browse the internet and download email when you get their propietary service. A regular data plan should be enough, and you should only pay an additional if you are using the premium services, like their IM network and push email services (which is what i asked for)
    05-26-08 10:04 PM
    Asked and answered. If you want to use the Internet for anything on a Blackberry you have to use their Internet service. Texting isn't Internet though so you can get a voice plan that includes texting and use the Blackberry for that. But if you want to get on the Internet you have to get BIS. Not sure about other carriers but with Verizon it doesn't cost much more than mobile web but does a whole lot more. Except V-Cast, which won't run on a Blackberry anyway.
    That just sucks. Why are you people paying something additional besides the data plan just so rim lets you use their browser and email app? You already payed for the phone. I can understand paying for push email and the bb pin for the im application, but regular email and browsing should work!

It's a shame, i love that bb bold. Guess i will have to buy the nokia E71, which has all of the features, even blackberry service.
    05-26-08 10:10 PM
    (mine includes 60 minutes to every operator a month ...
    LOL,

The key to making BlackBerry work is an account on BlackBerrys servers. That account is what drives the pushed email and provides access to the internet.

RIM counts those subscriber numbers and the revenue they earn. 14 Million and counting. I have seen estimates they earn $9 Mo/sub.

That is a big component of the BlackBerry plan cost.

05-26-08 11:01 PM
    (mine includes 60 minutes to every operator a month ...
    LOL,

The key to making BlackBerry work is an account on BlackBerrys servers. That account is what drives the pushed email and provides access to the internet.

RIM counts those subscriber numbers and the revenue they earn. 14 Million and counting. I have seen estimates they earn $9 Mo/sub.

That is a big component of the BlackBerry plan cost.

This could be a double post, no way to tell without refreshing and loosing the content.

05-26-08 11:03 PM
    BB internet service is completely worth the money,

05-26-08 11:08 PM
    That just sucks. Why are you people paying something additional besides the data plan just so rim lets you use their browser and email app?
    We aren't. You were complaining earlier that people weren't answering your question, but it appears that it is you who isn't reading what other people are saying. The BlackBerry BIS plan (mine is 29.99 a month for instance) IS the data plan. I pay 30 dollars per month for unlimited e-mail and internet on my BlackBerry Curve. I have no additional data plan; THAT IS the data plan.

My wife has a Curve (Not Unlocked) Purchased directly from T-Mobile, T-Mobile as her carrier, and NO BB DATA PACKAGE. Her emails work just fine as well. Not really expecting to "cough up money" anytime soon.
    Well I hate to break it to you, but if you've been reading around, Kevin, the Crackberry.com moderator, and others who've gotten a Bold have had their PIN service shut off. Kevin has made no mention of internet being disabled, so apparently RIM can indeed distinguish (if they couldn't before) the difference in internet and PIN messaging. Sorry charlie.
    05-26-08 11:18 PM
    Well I hate to break it to you, but if you've been reading around, Kevin, the Crackberry.com moderator, and others who've gotten a Bold have had their PIN service shut off. Kevin has made no mention of internet being disabled, so apparently RIM can indeed distinguish (if they couldn't before) the difference in internet and PIN messaging. Sorry charlie.
    I'll believe it when I experience it personally. I'm getting the Bold the day it's made available by AT&T and if I get jammed up and forced to pay for a Data Plan I'll be sure to let you guys know. However, If it works just the same I'll just keep it to myself because you guys wouldn't believe me anyway.
    05-27-08 12:45 AM
    can you please answer my question? If i buy a data plan and do NOT buy the blackberry internet service, will the browser and basic email still work?
    the browser may work if the device has wifi and you have a wireless internet access point.
    05-27-08 03:40 AM
    The BlackBerry BIS plan (mine is 29.99 a month for instance) IS the data plan. I pay 30 dollars per month for unlimited e-mail and internet on my BlackBerry Curve. I have no additional data plan; THAT IS the data plan.
    I'm on Verizon as well. I think it depends what you mean by "data." SMS and MMS are data but they aren't Internet. The $30 thing you/we have doesn't include those, they have to be included with your -voice- plan (Nationwide Select), or paid for per message (SMS and MMS) and by megabyte (Internet) on Nationwide Basic.

Very confusing.
    Last edited by kwsmithphoto; 05-27-08 at 04:10 AM.
    05-27-08 04:06 AM
    the browser may work if the device has wifi and you have a wireless internet access point.
    if you turn off data service and use only wifi, internet WILL NOT work. I tried it today to see if I can make do w/o the data service, but couldn't get 3rd party software OR BB browser to load a page.

BB Curve 8320 (T-Mobile)
    08-22-08 02:44 PM
    if you turn off data service and use only wifi, internet WILL NOT work. I tried it today to see if I can make do w/o the data service, but couldn't get 3rd party software OR BB browser to load a page.

BB Curve 8320 (T-Mobile)
    Why on earth would you ressurect a thread that's been dead and burried for three months???
    08-22-08 03:06 PM
    OK, I have no data plan, only voice, for my Pearl. I seem to have unlimited access to the internet however as long as I'm in range of a wireless router -- including sending and receiving email.

With BB data plan, I presume the only difference is the need for a nearby wireless router. Is this correct?
    08-22-08 04:13 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD