Hi, i am planning to buy a new phone, and i have to say that the blackberry bold seems very tempting...

I don't know much about blackberrys, but for what i have heard, you need either blackberry internet service (for personal and pop/smtp accounts) or enterprise server (exchange, lotus, etc).

I don't need or want push email, i just want to access my work's pop server and my gmail account. Can i still use a blackberry device for mail without paying? Or does this mean that blackberry devices are not for me and that i should get another brand?
    05-25-08 03:13 PM
    Blackberry Internet Service is more than just push email. It also gives you access to the internet and a host of other data-rich features. A BB isn't really a BB if you don't have a data plan. Plus, the bonus is you have have your Gmail and work pop email pushed right to your phone with no hassle.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-25-08 03:23 PM
    A blackberry without a data plan is just an expensive but dumb smartphone. You would probably be better off with something else.

05-25-08 03:23 PM
    A blackberry without a data plan is just an expensive but dumb smartphone. You would probably be better off with something else.

Agreed. It should go hand in hand with the BB.
    05-25-08 03:33 PM
    I don't mind paying for a data plan, what i don't want to do is to pay a fee just to receive push mail. Can't i buy a regular data plan and just launch the email program and tell it to download mail?

Do i really need blackberry internet service to use the web browser? If i buy a regular data plan i can't use the browser?

I am asking these questions because here in Venezuela the data plan and the blackberry internet service are separate.
    05-25-08 03:50 PM
    if you do not put a data plan you will have no internet and that will suck!
    05-25-08 03:54 PM
    in canada as well, email and data are seperate. you can purchase only data and retrieve your own email.. logging into gmail etc.
    05-25-08 04:07 PM
    can you please answer my question? If i buy a data plan and do NOT buy the blackberry internet service, will the browser and basic email still work?
    05-25-08 04:08 PM
    Data service will enable your Browser, but not the built in email system or the IM messenger.

If you are planning on.using a Bold, you will also be able to use the Browser with Wifi.

That will permit you to use a web based email like Gmail. Gmail and the mobile version of iGoogle work well together.

05-25-08 04:28 PM
    And ... Virtually none of the third party applications will initialize without a BB account.

05-25-08 04:32 PM
    Really, you just need the Blackberry Internet Service. Without it you're better off buying another phone.

05-25-08 04:37 PM
    everyone has nailed it on the head. Go with the BB data.

05-25-08 04:42 PM
    It's funny that this question gets asked so much here. If you want a BlackBerry than get the data plan! It is absolutely worthless without it. That's like me walking into the Chevy dealership and asking the salesman if the Corvette is available in a 4 cylinder...
    05-25-08 04:52 PM
    There is no question, to get full performance from a BlackBerry, you will need the BB Plan.

However, a BlackBerry without a plan is still a valuable tool.

Take my case. I am Canadian, that means I have three major carriers to choose from and all of them offer BlackBerry plans and data service. The catch is, a low data cap and the highest data rates in the World if you go over.

$10 Mb is outrageous and I refuse to buy into a contract that onerous.

I would gladly buy into T-Mobiles plan including Hotspot, when it becomes available.

I will not be blackmailed by Mr Rogers and his cosy business partners.

For me, life without a $6000 a year plan is pretty pleasant.
    05-25-08 05:12 PM
    this does get asked a lot
    its only a 19.99 add on with t-mobile here in the usa.
    if you dont need the features then buy a different phone
    welcome to cb
    05-25-08 05:16 PM
    With Verizon you don't have the option. You have to have the data plan. I can't speak for any other carrier, but if you didn't have the plan, and then accessed the email, it would charge you by KB, and you'd be paying so much that you could just have the data plan.

I think everyone is having a hard time answering your question because no one here can understand the concept of having a Blackberry without a data plan--it's like buying a car and saying to the dealer "eh go ahead and keep the wheels, I don't need 'em!"
    05-25-08 05:19 PM
    Since you've mentioned that where you are the plans are separate, you should probably talk to your carrier about your options. If you can get data w/o push email, go for it.
    05-25-08 05:24 PM
    If you are looking at what Bell would say is "Unlimited Mobile Browser" on a cell phone, that is not available with a BB. The way data is transmitted on a BB is different that a regular cell. You would need some form of BIS to access internet on a BB.

I use Unlimited Email/BBM for $15.
    05-25-08 05:29 PM
    I'm new to my latest BB and still learning about BIS and what is need for a happy BB.
    I seem to be one of a few that bought the BB for its' many other features. I really can't answer your question because I use wifi to check my email and hardly do that cause I rather check my email through Mail and/or on a computer's browser. My BB is far superior than my Nokia 6800 and my RAZR and had a data plan for those and it seems that things are no different. At this time I'm practically have no income, so I spend money wisely but as soon as I can afford a data plan I'll get a data plan because Maps, t-zones, BB messenger and twitterBerry (just install) apps need a data plan. I just don't think I need a data plan for apps I rarely use.
    05-25-08 06:33 PM
    I can't believe so many people answered that i need a data plan. That was never the question. I know i need a data plan for , well, duh, data access. The question was if i could get a data plan but skip the blackberry internet service, since i don't need push email or its propietary im program.

blackberrys have improved a lot and they are starting to pick up some consumer features. I like the bold very much, it has wifi, 3g, gps, qwerty , video recording, 1gb standard, camera, etc...

If i can't use pop email and browsing without the blackberry internet service fee (which i remind, it's separate from the data plan) then i guess a blackberry isn't for me.

Hmm, maybe the new iphone once it comes out (and if its gets unlocked so i can bring it down to Venezuela), or the nokia E71 (which some users are saying it looks a little like the bold, which i don't see) could be a better choice for my use. Both will work with a plain data plan.

The nokia seems a good second choice. The iphone doesn't have a keyboard so it isn't for heavy typing, but the UI and browser are the best (having a touch screen makes it really quick to navigate instead of using a trackball like the ones blackberrys have)

I guess i will decide if i get to go to the states this september and see about availability and pricing.
    05-26-08 01:29 AM
    As I explained in my previous post, you need BIS to access any internet on the berry, and that includes the push email whether you want it or not. I did answer you. It's just the way it is, and no, it doesn't sound like berry's are for you from what you are describing.

And while you say that data is separate from a BIS plan, it's not. It's one and the same with BB. That may not be the case with other smartphones.
    05-26-08 02:00 AM
    Here's a post I made a few days ago. I don't pay for a BB plan and haven't for over 5 years and My wife hasn't paid for over a year. I have switched devices (BB Upgrades a few times and all purchases were made DIRECTLY through Cingular/AT&T and I twice upgraded for the "discounted rate" which forces you to extend your contract.)

If you really want a BB but don;t want to pay an unecessary fee read below:

I wanted to get an idea of how many people that have AT&T or T-Mobile got duped into paying for a "Blackberry Internet Plan" so they can receive their emails?

I'm asking this because I have been using a Blackberry for 5+ years now and I've never had to pay for my emails or for a "Blackberry Internet Plan". I have however gotten hit with minor "extra fees" (never in excess of $5.00 US) and this only happened twice when I was overdoing it downloading ringtones, (that I created myself), to my Blackberry.

At first I figured I was "getting over" but the more I researched the device, the more I came to realize that the Cell Carriers were just tricking/forcing Blackberry users to send extra money for no reason.

For any of you that may be skeptics I'll give you a little breakdown and a story to back it up.

One of the features of the Blacberry device is the well known PIN which I liken to Nextels Chirp feature. all Blackberry owners know what the PIN is. the PIN is a FREE feature of Blackberry. What I've discovered is the Cell Carriers are unable to block the email feature (which they try to force you into paying a plan fee for) WITHOUT blocking the PIN feature which is a FREE FEATURE.

Here's a story to back up my "theory":

My wife had a T-Mobile Dash and they were robbing her for the email feature so I kept insisting she switch to the BB because it's free. She finally switched and of course they blocked her email because she didn't want to pay for a plan. We tried the PIN feature and it did not work either. She called up and spoke with Tech Support several times and they kept giving her the run around. After giving a Supervisor or two the business they finally bowed down and unblocked the PIN feature which they HAD TO because it a free device feature. Guess what happened next? Suddenly she was able to log on to the T-Mobile Blackberry site and set up her emails as well. To make a long story short, she has since set up 3 different email accounts on her BB and has yet to pay for a "Blackberry Plan."

I'm guessing some of you old school BB users may know this already but maybe some didn't.

If you try to get the free service that you are entitled to they are gona' give you a hard time but If you peu it into perspective it could save you in upwards of $300 a year. Why give the Carrier $300 they don't even deserve?
    05-26-08 12:41 PM
    can you please answer my question? If i buy a data plan and do NOT buy the blackberry internet service, will the browser and basic email still work?
    Yes.

I was messing with a BB 8300 using my sim card and my 'regular' plan. No probs with mms, sms or data. email was a little trickier but I set my outlook to forward emails that came and did the same with my gmail.

I really liked the phone as a phone and it was very user friendly so I ended up getting my own BB but I did add the data plan (for unlimited use).

So, yes, in the strictest technical terms the BB will work (with some creativity) with the typical, non-BB, plan.

I will be looking into Blazins info further though
    Last edited by danpass; 05-26-08 at 12:54 PM.
    05-26-08 12:52 PM
    Here's a post I made a few days ago. I don't pay for a BB plan and haven't for over 5 years and My wife hasn't paid for over a year. I have switched devices (BB Upgrades a few times and all purchases were made DIRECTLY through Cingular/AT&T and I twice upgraded for the "discounted rate" which forces you to extend your contract.)

If you really want a BB but don;t want to pay an unecessary fee read below:

I wanted to get an idea of how many people that have AT&T or T-Mobile got duped into paying for a "Blackberry Internet Plan" so they can receive their emails?

I'm asking this because I have been using a Blackberry for 5+ years now and I've never had to pay for my emails or for a "Blackberry Internet Plan". I have however gotten hit with minor "extra fees" (never in excess of $5.00 US) and this only happened twice when I was overdoing it downloading ringtones, (that I created myself), to my Blackberry.

At first I figured I was "getting over" but the more I researched the device, the more I came to realize that the Cell Carriers were just tricking/forcing Blackberry users to send extra money for no reason.

For any of you that may be skeptics I'll give you a little breakdown and a story to back it up.

One of the features of the Blacberry device is the well known PIN which I liken to Nextels Chirp feature. all Blackberry owners know what the PIN is. the PIN is a FREE feature of Blackberry. What I've discovered is the Cell Carriers are unable to block the email feature (which they try to force you into paying a plan fee for) WITHOUT blocking the PIN feature which is a FREE FEATURE.

Here's a story to back up my "theory":

My wife had a T-Mobile Dash and they were robbing her for the email feature so I kept insisting she switch to the BB because it's free. She finally switched and of course they blocked her email because she didn't want to pay for a plan. We tried the PIN feature and it did not work either. She called up and spoke with Tech Support several times and they kept giving her the run around. After giving a Supervisor or two the business they finally bowed down and unblocked the PIN feature which they HAD TO because it a free device feature. Guess what happened next? Suddenly she was able to log on to the T-Mobile Blackberry site and set up her emails as well. To make a long story short, she has since set up 3 different email accounts on her BB and has yet to pay for a "Blackberry Plan."

I'm guessing some of you old school BB users may know this already but maybe some didn't.

If you try to get the free service that you are entitled to they are gona' give you a hard time but If you peu it into perspective it could save you in upwards of $300 a year. Why give the Carrier $300 they don't even deserve?

This is so wrong, and your creating false hope for people by posting it.....

From a technical stand point their is ONLY ONE way what you are saying will work and trust me if it's working for you should consider yourself lucky and hope you knock on wood everyday..

The BlackBerry Admin tool (for carriers) is what controls the "registration" for BlackBerry devices...if you not provisioned in the BlackBerry Admin tool then you can't have any data access on your device...

So technically if a customer service rep (which only HIGH level tech has access too) was to login and provision the services in the BlackBerry Admin tool you would then be able to setup/configure all options of the services..and bypass paying for the services..

But good luck getting someone who likes their job too do that for you...like I said only high level tech has access to the FULL provisioning of the services and even if they did go through the systems were adjusted long ago to catch the issue if it arises, you just seem to fall under the category of the old accounts it probably never checks.
    Last edited by Bla1ze; 05-26-08 at 01:08 PM.
    05-26-08 01:01 PM
    With Verizon you don't have the option. You have to have the data plan. I can't speak for any other carrier, but if you didn't have the plan, and then accessed the email, it would charge you by KB, and you'd be paying so much that you could just have the data plan.
    Techincally/Theoretically this is the truth HOWEVER, Emails use so little data that I literally receive no less than 1500 emails per month and NEVER get charged any "overages" for Data usage.

NOTE: I do get a huge amount of emails with attachments but I almost NEVER DL any of them to my BB. If the email has an attachment I check the attachment when I get to my Laptop or Desktop. Also, in my opinion the Internet Browser SUX on most protable devices so I don't use my BB for Internet Browsing either so that all but eliminates any "excessive bandwidth usage."

As I mentioned, the two times I got hit with overage charges it was because I was downloading ringtones that I had created which were relatively heavy MP3 files and even then I didn't get charged more than 5 bux.
    05-26-08 01:10 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD