Okay. I get it. Iphone is the cheaper alternative. Cheapos: buy the iphone.
    04-22-12 01:55 PM
    On topic and advise the OP please, or more infractions will be handed out - free, no extra charges!
    04-22-12 02:16 PM
    As per Branta's advice here goes:
    OP, what you need to do is cancel your existing data contract and get a BIS plan for $11. This plan would include full Internet browsing along with emails and BBM. You would end up paying less than other smartphones and have the same services along with BBM and email. You haven't done your homework properly.
    04-22-12 02:21 PM
    Yes I have iPhone with two years contract and I pay 40 Chf (44$) per month with unlimited Internet and unlimited calls to phones that are on my provider. I can switch to any smartphone and use everything with this contract. But if I want to switch to bb I need to pay extra 10 Chf per month
    ( that makes 50 Chf per month) only because it's blackberry.

I don't know what type of contracts do you have for your bb.
    04-22-12 02:21 PM
    As per Branta's advice here goes:
    OP, what you need to do is cancel your existing data contract and get a BIS plan for $11. This plan would include full Internet browsing along with emails and BBM. You would end up paying less than other smartphones and have the same services along with BBM and email. You haven't done your homework properly.
    This type of contract simply doesn't exist here in Switzerland.
    Bb option is extra option, on my contract. You can't simply make contract only for bb for 11$.
    04-22-12 02:25 PM
    buky, BlackBerry devices work differently from other devices. You need to different data plan for the BlackBerry Data features such as email, BBM, BlackBerry App World, Twitter, Facebook, etc. to work. That's just how it works.

Whether or not your particular service provider charges more for that data plan than they do for other smartphone data plan it up to the carrier.

If that doesn't work for your particular situation, then you are most likely sticking with a different device.
    04-22-12 02:42 PM
    Not recommending device change or not... that's partly a decision for the OP partly on features and partly on cost.

However, remember that the more efficient data compression through BIS maight make an unlimited data contract excessive, and it may be possible to keep the same functionality on a restricted data allowance with a cost saving. Whether that would balance the extra cost of BIS will depend on the individual carrier price structure.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-22-12 02:59 PM
    You have to remember that a BB data plan uses "compressed" data. Greatly extending your data plan compared to other platforms. The majority has answered the original question, either get a Blackberry specific data plan or don't, the choice is still up to you.

Out of topic.... Do you think BB10 devices will continue using data compression?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    04-22-12 03:04 PM
    buky, BlackBerry devices work differently from other devices. You need to different data plan for the BlackBerry Data features such as email, BBM, BlackBerry App World, Twitter, Facebook, etc. to work. That's just how it works.

Whether or not your particular service provider charges more for that data plan than they do for other smartphone data plan it up to the carrier.

If that doesn't work for your particular situation, then you are most likely sticking with a different device.
    I was just about to say this same thing! The BlackBerry Data Plan is different from a regular data plan.
    04-22-12 03:05 PM
    Well it seems like bb is not very good option for me.
    04-22-12 03:06 PM
    Okay, so can we mark this one "resolved"?
    04-22-12 03:10 PM
    Out of topic.... Do you think BB10 devices will continue using data compression?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    Hard for me to guess nelson, they will be operating on a different Os. But will RIM have to reconfigure or purchase new servers to deal with them. Considering the millions of old Os users left I would guess that they will use data compression like the rest.
    04-22-12 03:19 PM
    This type of contract simply doesn't exist here in Switzerland.
    Bb option is extra option, on my contract. You can't simply make contract only for bb for 11$.
    Sorry but I had to call you on this one.
    Here are links to BB and iPhone contracts and tariffs in Switzerland. As you would note they are the same.
    http://shop.swisscom.ch/onlineshop/P...nen_BlackBerry
    The above option enables BBM, email etc at CHF 9 and charges surfing as per your usage. If you take this option you will be paying the same as the plan below on any other phone :
    http://shop.swisscom.ch/onlineshop/P...ionen_Internet
    Only difference is that you will be getting BBM, BB mail, App world etc as additional. Also if you take this plan then you will end up paying less on data charges than on any other phone.

However if you are a heavy internet user on your mobile phone you might want to take the unlimited plan on any other smartphone.
    The unlimited plan is for CHF 59.00. But if you get a Blackberry plan then you don't need the unlimited option and you can get your work done in the 100 MB plan which is for CHF 18.00. Add the Blackberry option for CHF 9.00 and the total cost for Blackberry ownership would be CHF 27.00. Since BB uses compression, 100 mb is enough for the month. So you don't need the CHF 59.00 data plan. You save CHF 22.00 per month using a blackberry even while paying CHF 9.00 extra.

So seriously, I don't know what you are on about.
    Also CHF 22= USD 22 approx. which is the same price I pay for 2gb(tethering)+BIS(unlimited data on phone) per month in India. Only difference is that in India I can pay the entire year's fee upfront which is USD 139 yr. That translates to USD 11/month.

You might want to enquire if your carrier gives the advance yearly payment plan. This turns out to be the cheapest data plan. For any other phone the data charge for 2gb/mo is around US$20/month.

CHk it out and again, for the same data+BIS, blackberry will turn out to be cheaper than any other smartphone.

Obviously I can see that the carriers in your country are overcharging, but that is not Blackberry's fault and you will pay that extra charge for any data enabled phone you will buy. Difference being that BB will cost you less per MB.
    04-22-12 03:53 PM
    Okay, so can we mark this one "resolved"?
    Yup. I guess time to move on. If the OP still doesn't get it he never will.
    People can't wrap their heads around how differently BB manages data than other smartphones. I wish deRusset would weigh in here and explain the difference to the OP.
    04-22-12 03:55 PM
    Here are links to BB and iPhone contracts and tariffs in Switzerland. As you would note they are the same.
    The above option enables BBM, email etc at CHF 9 and charges surfing as per your usage. If you take this option you will be paying the same as the plan below on any other phone :
    Only difference is that you will be getting BBM, BB mail, App world etc as additional. Also if you take this plan then you will end up paying less on data charges than on any other phone.

However if you are a heavy internet user on your mobile phone you might want to take the unlimited plan on any other smartphone.
    The unlimited plan is for CHF 59.00. But if you get a Blackberry plan then you don't need the unlimited option and you can get your work done in the 100 MB plan which is for CHF 18.00. Add the Blackberry option for CHF 9.00 and the total cost for Blackberry ownership would be CHF 27.00. Since BB uses compression, 100 mb is enough for the month. So you don't need the CHF 59.00 data plan. You save CHF 22.00 per month using a blackberry even while paying CHF 9.00 extra.

Also CHF 22= USD 22 approx. which is the same price I pay for 2gb(tethering)+BIS(unlimited data on phone) per month in India. Only difference is that in India I can pay the entire year's fee upfront which is USD 139 yr. That translates to USD 11/month.

You might want to enquire if your carrier gives the advance yearly payment plan. This turns out to be the cheapest data plan. For any other phone the data charge for 2gb/mo is around US$20/month.

CHk it out and again, for the same data+BIS, blackberry will turn out to be cheaper than any other smartphone.

Obviously I can see that the carriers in your country are overcharging, but that is not Blackberry's fault and you will pay that extra charge for any data enabled phone you will buy. Difference being that BB will cost you less per MB.
    Good job on the research sam. I like facts!
    sam_b77 likes this.
    04-22-12 04:02 PM

Again. I have two years contract. I can't cancel that just like that. The link above is extra option for blackberry from Swisscom that costs extra 9 Chf.
    This is also near the same for my provider. It's still extra payment. And this is just stupid if you ask me. Every phone can use everything only the blackberry is completely locked. Need extra payment. So the whole thing about bb is just to complicated.
    04-22-12 04:35 PM
    I have several friends who own iPhones. They never needed to get batteries replaced.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    My girlfriends sister has had to have her iPhone 4 replaced twice, and her iPhone 4s is currently giving her problems.

Everyone has a different experience.
    04-22-12 04:43 PM
    Again. I have two years contract. I can't cancel that just like that. The link above is extra option for blackberry from Swisscom that costs extra 9 Chf.
    This is also near the same for my provider. It's still extra payment. And this is just stupid if you ask me. Every phone can use everything only the blackberry is completely locked. Need extra payment. So the whole thing about bb is just to complicated.
    You missed the point completely. You are just fixating on the "extra charge" but not calculating that even with "extra charge" it will be cheaper. That extra charge is just how your particular carrier portrays it. Mine doesn't even though I pay the same. So if you are feeling cheated due to the term Blackberry Option, I would suggest ignoring it and look at how much money actually flows from your pocket.

As regards a two year contract, that is your own doing. How can you expect RIM to shoulder the blame for something you have agreed to and can't get out of. RIM provides a service and it charges for it. If you want it you have to pay for it. If you are locked into a plan you took then thats on you. You can't expect RIM to provide free service simply because you have taken a two year contract for some other service. Maybe you should look at Blackberry two years from now.
    ritesh likes this.
    04-22-12 04:46 PM
    ... the whole thing about bb is just to complicated.
    Guy, go play a couple levels of Angry Birds, then sleep on it. It'll all work itself out.
    04-22-12 04:46 PM
    You missed the point completely. You are just fixating on the "extra charge" but not calculating that even with "extra charge" it will be cheaper. That extra charge is just how your particular carrier portrays it. Mine doesn't even though I pay the same. So if you are feeling cheated due to the term Blackberry Option, I would suggest ignoring it and look at how much money actually flows from your pocket.

As regards a two year contract, that is your own doing. How can you expect RIM to shoulder the blame for something you have agreed to and can't get out of. RIM provides a service and it charges for it. If you want it you have to pay for it. If you are locked into a plan you took then thats on you. You can't expect RIM to provide free service simply because you have taken a two year contract for some other service. Maybe you should look at Blackberry two years from now.
    The fact is I like my contract. If I take out my sim card and put it in another phone everything will work. If I put it bb nothing works exept SMS and calling. And yes I'm blaming rim. I don't need their service. I already paid for device and I don't understand why do I need to pay extra money only to have basic things like email and app world. Nobody doing business like this. If someone would like to have compressed websites from bb, ok nice if you want to pay this. I dont need that. I already have flat rate. But please do not cut off basic functionality of smartphone.
    04-22-12 05:25 PM
    Again, this is a carrier issue. Not a device issue. The carrier is choosing to charge you differently.

And if another device is working for you, stick with that. "Problem" solved.

No harm. No foul.
    04-22-12 06:05 PM
    I have Data Connection, actually i have flat Rate. But today I've called my provider and they told me that it doesn't matter
    If I have flat rate I need to pay 10 Chf extra each month to have ability to use bb like normal smartphone.
    So I've done my homework but I saw nowhere in the shops information about this problem. I've found this info somewhere in forum as I was doing research about battery life.

So guys for you this is normal and ok paying extra money to have access to app world and email.

I really don't know why is rim doing this and I think this is just not fair and right. Sorry for my bad English
    Its worth it to me as I use BBM extensively which allows me to send picture messages for free to my BBM contacts. This saves me a few dollars each month cause each picture on my plan despite having Unlimited Texts is $2. So to my BBM contacts I can send as many pictures as I want no extra cost.

It also keeps my Data compressed which saves me money as I have never, not once gone over my 500MB's of data.

I get instant email(and yes I use Gmail no issues), I can use all the social networking I like, etc.

You need to look and see how you will use your phone and it very well could end up saving you money in the end. For me it has and thats why I continue with it.
    04-22-12 07:13 PM
    Again, this is a carrier issue. Not a device issue. The carrier is choosing to charge you differently.

No harm. No foul.
    Actually this is a case of someone not doing the proper research when they signed a two year contract. He wants to vent, I say let him, I see it everyday as I am in retail. Once they calm down and become rational then I say, lets see if I can work with you to come up with a solution which is exactly what I recommend in this case.
    04-22-12 07:19 PM
    Believe it or not, I am from Malaysia, and my prepaid BIS plan is so cheap that I wouldn't switch to other phones for good. I pay only RM20 per month (equivalent to around USD $6.50) for unlimited BIS which does not come with streaming or tethering. Now that I have a Playbook, which means I only pay $6.50/month for unlimited data usage including bridged streaming on my playbook!

A 3GB normal non-bis plan costs around 20USD in comparison. Happy user with cheapest mobile plan
    04-23-12 02:01 AM

No harm. No foul.
    No it is rim issue. They simply lock their device. And I don't know why they doing this. That is what I want to say. Bb need special data plan.
    Last edited by buky; 04-23-12 at 02:17 AM.
    04-23-12 02:14 AM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD