in the uk you dont get charged extra exactly, its just bundled up with the monthly cost..
    and is still generally cheaper than iphone.
    Although to be fair most phones are cheaper than iphone.
    04-23-12 05:03 AM
    No it is rim issue. They simply lock their device. And I don't know why they doing this. That is what I want to say. Bb need special data plan.
    I'm sorry but you are wrong. Or at least misinformed. The device is not "locked". You are wrong.
    04-23-12 05:46 AM
    so that means i have to pay extra 11$ each month to my provider only to get basic functionality like any other smartphone already has.

11$, only to get access to app world lol.

this is the stupidest thing i've ever heard in my life.

in this case bye bye blackberry
    I know that $11 a month can bankrupt a person...not!

Cya...

Tim
    04-23-12 06:35 AM
    Someone wasn't smart enough to research before buying. Almost everyone ( Before this post, I thought everyone) knows that a Blackberry needs a separate data plan to obtain full functionality.

Return your phone or sell it and buy any other one.
    04-23-12 07:38 AM
    No it is rim issue. They simply lock their device. And I don't know why they doing this. That is what I want to say. Bb need special data plan.
    So basically you didn't come here for help but to rant. Now that you have gotten it off your chest,I hope you are feeling better. Glad we could have helped you in your rant. Now time to go back to your previous phone and join the appropriate forum. Good bye and thanks for all the fish.
    04-23-12 08:50 AM
    I think someone is behaving suspiciously. Someone knows fully well what BB is about and someone has come here to make trouble.
    Also someone is trying to omit the fact that even on other smartphone you need a data plan. In case of a BB, the previous data plan is cancelled and a BIS plan is added. Nothing extra is paid.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    No! You need BIS in addition to a generic data plan. Like someone else has already eluded to,most US carriers subsidize the additional BIS charge so your total monthly charge comes to be the same as someone who just has a generic data plan on a different platform.

This unfortunately does not work the same way for non-contract pricing so the OP actually has a valid point
    04-23-12 09:09 AM
    While the OP either did not do their research, or is clearly trolling, I do think BIS charges are a valid concern for RIM. It is an additional cost to the consumer, which might drive them away from BB. Even if the carrier eats the charge (as they seem to do in the US), then it is an incentive for the carriers to drive users away from BB. Maybe that is why sales people in US stores are turning people away from BBs.
    BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) provides a secure connection to the BlackBerry Infrastructure which offloads the burden from the wireless carriers. For example, you send an email to Katy Perry from your BlackBerry smartphone. With a BIS data plan the email travels from your smartphone to your wireless carrier network which then passes the data packets to the BlackBerry Infrastructure which in turn is responsible for routing the email to the intended recipient. The checkmark you receive on your BlackBerry smartphone appears as soon as your wireless carrier hands-off the final data packets of the email and the BlackBerry Infrastructure sends a small confirmation data packet to the carrier to signal successful hand-off.

The BIS data plan is not absorbed by the wireless carriers; they pass it along to the subscriber.

Some wireless carriers push people towards other devices because the data usage for non-BlackBerry smartphones is significantly higher and therefore more profitable for the carrier. With data compression a BIS subscriber can send and receive over 10000 emails each month on the 500MB data plan. When you factor in email, web browsing, video streaming, etc. you can do much more on a BlackBerry smartphone with a 500MB BIS data plan than an Apple iPhone user with a 500MB regular data plan.

If you are going to troll at least try to be accurate with your claims. Back under the BlackBerry Bridge for you, troll.
    04-23-12 09:11 AM
    No! You need BIS in addition to a generic data plan.
    Incorrect. The BIS data plan is in place of a regular data plan. You do not pay USD25.00 regular data plan plus USD15.00 for the BIS data plan. These prices are fictitious and for illustrative purposes only. An iPhone user uses 1GB of data much faster than an equivalent BlackBerry user performing the same activities, say email and web browsing. Please stop trolling before we kick you under the bridge where you belong.
    04-23-12 09:17 AM
    I'm just wondering why this tread is still going. The OP obviously won't listen to reasonable advice that people have been providing. They are here to bash or troll and continuing to reply is just feeding into what they want, to get a rise out of the CB community. OP, if you ask for advice then take it when its given and stop ignoring and looking for a way around the facts. You want BIS service, then you pay for it. Its that simple, crying about it on forums will not change anything.
    04-23-12 09:37 AM
    I'm sorry but you are wrong. Or at least misinformed. The device is not "locked". You are wrong.
    And how can you explain that if put my sim card to bb nothing works exept SMS and calls. I need to buy this extra options to unlock basic features like email to phone or app world. I do understand that you guys have bb data plan for 20$ and if I would take the cheapest contract for 25$ I must pay again 10 extra. On my playbook everything works fine, but to access app world on bb bold I must pay extra???? Wtf???
    04-23-12 10:07 AM
    And how can you explain that if put my sim card to bb nothing works exept SMS and calls.
    Because you do not have and/or are not willing to pay for a BlackBerry data plan.
    BlackBerry devices cannot run on a generic (iPhone/Android) data plan.
    You will only get voice services (including SMS) provided by your carrier.
    I need to buy this extra options to unlock basic features like email to phone or app world.
    It is not an extra option. It is the only option. If you want to use BIS services.
    Also, AppWorld should work via WiFi only with the newest version.
    I do understand that you guys have bb data plan for 20$ and if I would take the cheapest contract for 25$ I must pay again 10 extra.
    You need to cancel your current data plan and activate a BIS plan.
    There is not additional cost. The plan costs what it costs. Whatever your carrier says it does. One price, no add-ons.
    On my playbook everything works fine, but to access app world on bb bold I must pay extra???? Wtf???
    Yes. The PlayBook is currently WiFi only, so everything will work on WiFi. Makes sense?
    On your BlackBerry handheld device, you need to purchase a BIS plan to receive email and the lot.
    Last edited by MADBRADNYC; 04-23-12 at 10:28 AM.
    04-23-12 10:25 AM
    Here in the US, on Sprint (my carrier), you can switch from one plan to the other even with a contract in effect. No etf applies unless you cancel altogether. You don't have that option at your carrier?
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    04-23-12 10:46 AM
    Incorrect. The BIS data plan is in place of a regular data plan. You do not pay USD25.00 regular data plan plus USD15.00 for the BIS data plan. These prices are fictitious and for illustrative purposes only. An iPhone user uses 1GB of data much faster than an equivalent BlackBerry user performing the same activities, say email and web browsing. Please stop trolling before we kick you under the bridge where you belong.
    I'm guessing you must have had a deprived childhood otherwise how do you explain calling every single person that has a view different from yours a troll??

I have since looked at my bill and i stand corrected, BIS does infact replace the generic data plan.

I do know for a fact that when Tmobile US was offering the no-contract $50 unlimited everything plan and i wanted to put a 2nd BB on it, they informed me that it would cost me an additional $10 to add BIS to what was supposed to be an Unlimited talk,text and web plan
    04-23-12 11:16 AM
    I do know for a fact that when Tmobile US was offering the no-contract $50 unlimited everything plan and i wanted to put a 2nd BB on it, they informed me that it would cost me an additional $10 to add BIS to what was supposed to be an Unlimited talk,text and web plan
    I have been with T-Mobile for about 15 years... Since 1997-The days of OmniPoint.
    The Unlimited talk,text and web plan are carrier services only.
    The "additional $10 to add BIS" is the actual BIS data plan for the 2nd device.

It is actually a deal because they are not charging you the full BIS data plan rate for the 2nd device that you are most likely paying for the current device.
    04-23-12 11:31 AM
    Because you do not have and/or are not willing to pay for a BlackBerry data plan.
    BlackBerry devices cannot run on a generic (iPhone/Android) data plan.
    You will only get voice services (including SMS) provided by your carrier.

It is not an extra option. It is the only option. If you want to use BIS services.
    Also, AppWorld should work via WiFi only with the newest version.

You need to cancel your current data plan and activate a BIS plan.
    There is not additional cost. The plan costs what it costs. Whatever your carrier says it does. One price, no add-ons.

Yes. The PlayBook is currently WiFi only, so everything will work on WiFi. Makes sense?
    On your BlackBerry handheld device, you need to purchase a BIS plan to receive email and the lot.
    Yes there is something like that but only for business customers and I thinks it's expensive. And like i said the whole thing is just stupid what rim is doing.
    I mean here in Europe.
    04-23-12 11:47 AM
    Here in the US, on Sprint (my carrier), you can switch from one plan to the other even with a contract in effect. No etf applies unless you cancel altogether. You don't have that option at your carrier?
    No like I said for normal customer and not business there is only bb option. This is not data plan. This is only to unlock all features. You need to purchase data plan + bb option (witch costs extra).

In USA I think you have better options for bb.
    04-23-12 11:52 AM
    I have been with T-Mobile for about 15 years... Since 1997-The days of OmniPoint.
    The Unlimited talk,text and web plan are carrier services only.
    The "additional $10 to add BIS" is the actual BIS data plan for the 2nd device.

It is actually a deal because they are not charging you the full BIS data plan rate for the 2nd device that you are most likely paying for the current device.
    Correct but if i was using say an Android device it would have been $50 flat with no add-ons
    04-23-12 12:59 PM
    I'm guessing you must have had a deprived childhood otherwise how do you explain calling every single person that has a view different from yours a troll??

I have since looked at my bill and i stand corrected, BIS does infact replace the generic data plan.

I think you owe me an apology .
    shupor likes this.
    04-23-12 01:20 PM
    I think you owe me an apology .
    I apologize
    sam_b77 likes this.
    04-23-12 01:26 PM
    Correct but if i was using say an Android device it would have been $50 flat with no add-ons
    OK, Android devices require a -separate- data plan from T-Mobile.
    I guess you have the belief that if you cancel your data plan for an Android device, that your bill will be less than the $50 required for the unlimited talk, text, and web plan??

The mobile services from T-Mobile cost $50.00.
    You will be required to purchase a separate data plan in order to use the data/device on their network.
    If the plan itself is $50, how does the additional cost of the data plan factor into that?

I just went through the process for a Samsung Galaxy S II. (Android)
    Please note that even the lowest family plan available (where you can have 2 lines) still states it DOES NOT include data in the "Features" category.
    Unsupported Browser
    When going through the process, it clearly states that an additional data plan is required for an additional cost.
    Unsupported Browser
    So I would say that you may want to check your bill again, or if you don't have an Android device on T-Mobile, check the website again for their plan category cost lists.

The $50 cost is NOT all inclusive (including data) for an Android device.

T-Mobile will allow a subscriber to make a lateral move on data plans if asked, because there is no real cost difference in doing so for a similar tier. I have done it myself many times.

I hope this helps...

EDIT: It seems that my browser will not save the specific page when going through a handset selection.
    Please just click on a device and/or plans to see the costs involved.
    Last edited by MADBRADNYC; 04-23-12 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Browser page not saved when selecting handsets.
    shupor likes this.
    04-23-12 06:43 PM
    It is a right information about bb option and you can follow it.
    Last edited by milfordcunningham; 04-23-12 at 11:30 PM.
    04-23-12 11:28 PM
    Yes there is something like that but only for business customers and I thinks it's expensive. And like i said the whole thing is just stupid what rim is doing.
    I mean here in Europe.
    I took a look at your operators site (translating it into english of course). For example the Sunrise Sunflat 2 plan with the Bold 9900 gives you 500mb of data, What I find interesting is nowhere on that page was Blackberry Internet Service's mentioned.

I have a similar deal in Sydney. My basic BIS services(Bridge, email, bbm, browser, facebook, apps etc) are at a flat charge but if I wish to have additional data to watch say videos, I have to purchase additional Data.

Think it would be best if you went to your carrier and asked them for a detailed explanation. I hope this helped, I remember how I was confused with regards to BIS not too long ago.
    04-24-12 04:47 AM
    you guys are getting screwed. I pay �15 a month for a torch with unlimited bandwidth and 500 free texts.
    04-24-12 04:53 AM
    I took a look at your operators site (translating it into english of course). For example the Sunrise Sunflat 2 plan with the Bold 9900 gives you 500mb of data, What I find interesting is nowhere on that page was Blackberry Internet Service's mentioned.
    Exactly there is nowhere info about this.
    If you scroll down to options there is extra option for bb that you can buy.
    04-24-12 10:41 AM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD