i have read somewhere that i need to buy bb option so that i can use everything on bold 9900.

is this true?

I'm living in switzerland an my provider is sunrise. someone wrote that wifi an app world also won't work without bb option.
    04-22-12 05:07 AM
    Yes, in order to use bbm, email etc you will need a blackberry data plan from your carrier
    04-22-12 06:43 AM
    so that means i have to pay extra 11$ each month to my provider only to get basic functionality like any other smartphone already has.

11$, only to get access to app world lol.

this is the stupidest thing i've ever heard in my life.

in this case bye bye blackberry
    04-22-12 09:00 AM
    You need BIS, then byebye.
    04-22-12 09:57 AM
    I heard the Swiss were cheap, but this is ridiculous, lol.
    ritesh likes this.
    04-22-12 10:04 AM
    ??I think your getting confused. if you can get on app world then you can use BBM. appworld needs a Data connection as well to work.
    04-22-12 10:05 AM
    I think that someone didn't do their homework or research before they bought their Blackberry!

Oops.

Sent from my old faithful BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    04-22-12 10:10 AM
    No, I think that someone didn't do his research before he came to slam BlackBerry. He failed.
    04-22-12 10:42 AM
    While the OP either did not do their research, or is clearly trolling, I do think BIS charges are a valid concern for RIM. It is an additional cost to the consumer, which might drive them away from BB. Even if the carrier eats the charge (as they seem to do in the US), then it is an incentive for the carriers to drive users away from BB. Maybe that is why sales people in US stores are turning people away from BBs.
    04-22-12 10:49 AM
    I think someone is behaving suspiciously. Someone knows fully well what BB is about and someone has come here to make trouble.
    Also someone is trying to omit the fact that even on other smartphone you need a data plan. In case of a BB, the previous data plan is cancelled and a BIS plan is added. Nothing extra is paid.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    jafobabe likes this.
    04-22-12 10:57 AM
    ??I think your getting confused. if you can get on app world then you can use BBM. appworld needs a Data connection as well to work.
    I have Data Connection, actually i have flat Rate. But today I've called my provider and they told me that it doesn't matter
    If I have flat rate I need to pay 10 Chf extra each month to have ability to use bb like normal smartphone.
    So I've done my homework but I saw nowhere in the shops information about this problem. I've found this info somewhere in forum as I was doing research about battery life.

So guys for you this is normal and ok paying extra money to have access to app world and email.

I really don't know why is rim doing this and I think this is just not fair and right. Sorry for my bad English
    04-22-12 11:09 AM
    Well personally I personally pay the same for my BlackBerry data as I would for a data plan on another smartphone, and with the compression in use by blackberry I never need to worry going over my data allowance
    jafobabe and adamrollins like this.
    04-22-12 11:20 AM
    Well personally I personally pay the same for my BlackBerry data as I would for a data plan on another smartphone, and with the compression in use by blackberry I never need to worry going over my data allowance
    ^^^^^^

Agree! AND it is more secure. Security was the leading factor for me in switching years ago to the Blackberry.
    04-22-12 11:26 AM
    I have Data Connection, actually i have flat Rate. But today I've called my provider and they told me that it doesn't matter
    If I have flat rate I need to pay 10 Chf extra each month to have ability to use bb like normal smartphone.
    So I've done my homework but I saw nowhere in the shops information about this problem. I've found this info somewhere in forum as I was doing research about battery life.

So guys for you this is normal and ok paying extra money to have access to app world and email.

I really don't know why is rim doing this and I think this is just not fair and right. Sorry for my bad English
    English is one of the hardest languages to learn don't be sorry
    what is "Flat Rate"? it sounds to me like your provider is tell you that you have access to their Data Connection but to access BIS you need to pay them more? is that what your saying? that does sound a little iffy to me but then again we don't have the same provider
    04-22-12 11:40 AM
    English is one of the hardest languages to learn don't be sorry
    what is "Flat Rate"? it sounds to me like your provider is tell you that you have access to their Data Connection but to access BIS you need to pay them more? is that what your saying? that does sound a little iffy to me but then again we don't have the same provider
    Flat rate means that I have unlimited mobile Internet for my phone. I have owned couple of android phones and now iPhone. You now I can download unlimited , use gmail Facebook, Internet etc. just like home on my computer.
    Now the guy from my provider told me
    That I have to pay extra 10 Chf each month to have ability to use bb like android or iPhone. Without bb option I can make calls and write SMS.
    04-22-12 11:58 AM
    Those of us in the US and Canada typically pay the same price for a data plan for any smartphone. However, that is not always the case in other countries.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    04-22-12 12:13 PM
    Those of us in the US and Canada typically pay the same price for a data plan for any smartphone. However, that is not always the case in other countries.

Well it seems like you said
    04-22-12 12:29 PM
    I love my BlackBerry, but if I had to pay more just access certain features that I didn't have to pay for on other platforms, I'd get another phone too.

Fortunately for me, in Canada, with the data compression BlackBerry provides, I can afford a cheaper data plan then I can on other phones. So for me personally, a BlackBerry data plan actually costs me less.
    04-22-12 12:35 PM
    You have to remember that a BB data plan uses "compressed" data. Greatly extending your data plan compared to other platforms. The majority has answered the original question, either get a Blackberry specific data plan or don't, the choice is still up to you.
    04-22-12 12:39 PM
    Well I was one click away to buy bold 9900, but I think I'm gonna stick with iPhone. I just don't want to pay extra only to unlock all features of bb. I seems just not right to me. I think you guys from Canada and USA have better options then here in Europe. In Switzerland you must pay extra for bb option to all provider.
    04-22-12 01:31 PM
    Unfortunately there are drawbacks with providers and plans in all countries. In the US, we have to take 2-year contracts if we do not want to pay full retail price for our phones. In Canada, the contracts are 3 years.

04-22-12 01:36 PM
    Yea, but with iPhone you'll pay extra for everything else (i.e. through the nose for everything). Need a new battery? Take it to the "geniuses" at the apple store.
    04-22-12 01:37 PM
    Yea, but with iPhone you'll pay extra for everything else (i.e. through the nose for everything). Need a new battery? Take it to the "geniuses" at the apple store.
    He already has an iPhone.

04-22-12 01:43 PM
    Now I don't get it. If he already HAS an iphone, it means he's USED TO paying more ...
    04-22-12 01:49 PM
    Now I don't get it. If he already HAS an iphone, it means he's USED TO paying more ...
    I have several friends who own iPhones. They never needed to get batteries replaced.

04-22-12 01:51 PM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD