Upgrade the software? or will it just up grade everything without me wiping it? also can the 4.6 upgrade version be used for the blackberry pearl? I see some threads where it's talking about the 4.5 so Im not sure. thanks so much in advance. I don't want to "brick" my phone. =)
    10-09-08 06:14 PM
    Some will tell you to wipe it but when I did the 4.5 upgrade my Desktop manager automatically deleted everything. Keep in mind that I have the 4.6 desktop manager so you may want to be sure you have the newest destop manager version so you can be sure IT WILL do the deletion before it does the install!!
    10-09-08 06:20 PM
    The 4.5 dm does this as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-09-08 06:21 PM
    Desktop Manager will back up and wipe your device for you
    10-09-08 06:23 PM
    right now I have 4.2 the version that came with it. Also If I download the DM and go through with the upgrade for my OS(from another thread) do I just follow the steps from that thread or will I probally need some one to walk me through all of this. Im kinda new to the whole BB thing and I don't want to compeletely "brick" my phone or something.
    10-09-08 06:24 PM
    Wiping makes for a cleaner install. That said I dont do it every time. I have gone through about 5 4.5 betas and I do a full wipe about every other one just in case the os bugs are in the embeded parts of the os. If you plan to install an official os I wouldn't worry about it. Either way use crackmem and it will be easy.
    10-09-08 06:26 PM
    I highly suggest reading up on it before you attempt to do an upgrade. Its a fairly easy process if you follow the directions step by step.

And IMO i would go with DM 4.6
    10-09-08 06:26 PM
    i need to find you the link that gives you the step by step instructions. it's what I followed and I was a newbie at upgrading.

It's really easy though when it's all said and done. All you need to do is update your DM and then do the update. The DM does the whole job really. Its so much easier than you think. My heart was racing the entire time and I was scared like you but it does it for you.

JUST BE SURE you get the OS upgrade for your PHONE and your CARRIER, 1 upgrade does not work for all carriers. Make sure you delete .vendor file too...

Have you read about that?
    10-09-08 06:27 PM
    to delete the vendor file but I did read that I should. I got an up grade link from the pearl 8100 forum from "sticky" and it has a new version from east asia, should I trust it? I don't want to upgrade and then some how text messages are blocked or something like that cuz it wasn't directly from my carrier, any advice on that?
    10-09-08 06:30 PM
    10-09-08 06:30 PM
    You need the right OS...

This is all you need to do the install job, it's what I used and it's the best I've seen:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/pro...ocedure-53359/

And God forbid:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...ckberry-32322/
    10-09-08 06:31 PM
    You need to delete the vendor.xml file becuase that is what makes the OS carrier specific. Seeing that the OS is an official just not for your carrier, it will not work without deleting the vendor.xml file. Download crackmem from signature, it will delete the vendor xml file and anything else you dont need for you.
    10-09-08 06:32 PM
    deleting the file yourself isn't hard...just a matter of going into the files and locating it..
    10-09-08 06:34 PM
    Ok so I can use ANY OS as long as I delete the vendor.exe? Also I got a few links and I believe those are the ones that I was using, has anyone used them for Tmobile?
    10-09-08 06:39 PM
    Ok so I can use ANY OS as long as I delete the vendor.exe? Also I got a few links and I believe those are the ones that I was using, has anyone used them for Tmobile?
    Personally I think you should enjoy your toy a little while longer before you fubar it. The questions you're asking clearly shows your lack of research and readiness. Don't trash your phone, enjoy it, read about it, then upgrade it Just my $.02
    10-09-08 06:42 PM
    As long as it is for 8100. And use the crackmem link I gave you and it will take out the venor file for you also it will optimize your memory at the same time by removing vendor themes preloaded media etc.
    10-09-08 06:43 PM
    of my knowledge before I go and try this. I use my black berry ALL the time and I really think its time for an upgrade. thanks. If I have any issues I will be sure to come back again.
    10-09-08 06:50 PM
    Its amazing as much as Im on the computer and as much as I know I could be doing something wrong.
    10-09-08 06:53 PM
    There are only a limited number of time when wiping the device is going to help. The vast majority of the time, you have a functioning BlackBerry going in, and you expect a functioning, but improved BlackBerry coming out. That is what the default build gives you.

Anything less is totally unacceptable and reason for panic.

Let BlackBerry take the responsibility of doing your updates, that is by far the safest way to update.

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Device Software

As soon as your carrier signs on, it will do the update for you and take responsibility for getting it right.

10-09-08 07:02 PM
    Also, Heather, I would read through the threads where others have encountered problems during the upgrade so that if by some chance the upgrade failed, panic would be minimal - you would know exactly what to do at that point. Follow the instructions EXACTLY and you shouldn't have any problems.
    10-09-08 07:07 PM
    Personally I think you should enjoy your toy a little while longer before you fubar it. The questions you're asking clearly shows your lack of research and readiness. Don't trash your phone, enjoy it, read about it, then upgrade it Just my $.02
    .....Agreed
    10-09-08 07:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD