I was having a discussion with an acquaintance who was ripping on BB10 and Windows Phone, saying "nobody can use those phones, since they don't have Instagram, which almost all smartphone users use. It's a critical app and without it, you cannot share photos."

So I replied:

"Instagram has 100 million users. Perhaps half of them have used it more than once or twice."

He agreed.

Then I noted that about 550 million smartphones were sold last year, worldwide. Being charitable and assuming that every smartphone in existence and being used was sold in 2012, Instagram is used by less than 10% of all smartphone users.

"In other words," I said, "over 90% of smartphone users don't care about Instagram. Seems to me that you're pushing a niche app only available on a couple of platforms as a 'must have' when the vast majority of users worldwide couldn't care less."

He was most displeased.
    RECOOL, JR A, cjcampbell and 1 others like this.
    03-01-13 12:01 AM
    no star for you
    03-01-13 12:36 AM
    10% is still pretty high. means that 1 in 10 people with smartphones post pictures of things that shortly become brown shapeless lumps. Or black or green, sometimes.
    93Aero and JR A like this.
    03-01-13 12:43 AM
    I, for one do not use Instagram.

BES admin, Z10 user
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    03-01-13 12:48 AM
    Instagram is an app many people are really looking forward to, I'm sure. I just don't think the success of an entire smartphone platform depends on the availability of it. An argument could be made for something like Facebook though, which is a lot more widespread.

This is a non-issue anyways, as Instagram will eventually be here in one form or another.
    JR A likes this.
    03-01-13 01:44 AM
    I love how he said it's a "critical App" hahaha.

Posted via CB10
    JR A likes this.
    03-01-13 07:22 AM
    I'm sure the attitude toward instagram on this forum will change once it's available for BB10
    mikeo007 and notfanboy like this.
    03-01-13 07:23 AM
    I'm sure the attitude toward instagram on this forum will change once it's available for BB10
    Exactly.

MAJORITY of people on crackberry keep saying they "don't use Instagram", that's because you DON'T have a choice on the BB platform lol
    Just look at how many downloads/reviews the instagram copy cat apps have received, and you'll see there's a hungry market for it.

I personally would not use it, even if I had an iPhone/Android.
    Coachbulldog and waker like this.
    03-01-13 07:29 AM
    I had it on my iPhone and used it once. I do not care for it and it is not an essential app. Whatsapp is not essential to me either. I rarely use apps. The standard features of the Z10 is all i need.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 on Verizon Wireless.
    BlackBerry By Choice!
    JR A likes this.
    03-01-13 07:38 AM
    OP, I'll gove you a gold star. I love pi$$ing people off with logic.

And for the record, I have no use for instagram or any of the other so-called critical apps, either. Give me BeWeather and a good browser and I'm all set.
    JR A likes this.
    03-01-13 07:50 AM
    Well I guess that settles that.
    mikeo007, ibpluto and xandermac like this.
    03-01-13 08:03 AM
    Should have showed off the Photo Editor. Does everything Instagram is said to do, but without waiting for an app/playing around with your photos.
    03-01-13 08:21 AM
    We were told that instagram is coming...via an Android port and in the near future...so...why the worry??
    03-01-13 08:27 AM
    Instagram has 100 million active users which Instagram defines as users who the app at least once a month. The total number of Instagram accounts is "about" double the number of active users which means there's about 200 million Instagram accounts in total.
    03-01-13 08:29 AM
    You caught me. Secretly I wish I could take pictures of my food before I eat it.

Posted from my Dev Alpha
    bunky1971 likes this.
    03-01-13 08:32 AM
    Whether we like it or not... Skype... Instagram.... WhatsApp.. and Netflix are the bar by which Smartphones are judged today... so whether "we" use it or not is a moot point.. if BB does not have at least 3 at launch... listen to the howling begin in the US media and blogs......
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    03-01-13 08:35 AM
    Please insert my usual disclaimer....I do not use Instagram.... LOL

Instagram is not so much about the numbers but the demographic it appeals to. If you look at its growth in subscription and the influence of the folks using it, you can see it is a critical app to gain traction with a demographic that is more likely to change devices at a faster rate and create trends in which device people choose. This demographic is young, social media attached folks, better known as 25 and younger....this app is a must for them

If you even want to have a chance at having those 100 million users consider your device, you best get Instagram
    03-01-13 08:42 AM
    I do give you a gold star for your logic. But I differ with your opinion of it not being a big factor in attracting potential customers. My reasoning is that it is important for BB10 to have the big name apps

This will lesson the likelihood of prospective buyers passing up on buying a Z10 in favor of an iphone or Android, due to big name apps not being available.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-13 09:06 AM
    In the meantime, we can all just use Crackagram.

Do I get a gold star?-mcdonalds-cup.jpg

Oh, shoot, I forgot to sepia that breakfast....
    03-01-13 09:27 AM
    All apps are must have in all cell phones regardless of whether anyone uses them at all. Just like anyone who lug around a back pack or the ladies with their carry on bags. I bet there are quite a few things we don't need. There will be a few items of just incase that no one ever use but somehow feel secure to carry around. Such is the way the world works. Never use instagram. Will I download when it's available? Most likely.
    03-01-13 09:32 AM
    LOL yeah - same thing happened with ANGRY BIRDS too. Many BlackBerry users will discover it and love it.

I fall into the camp of "signed up and tried maybe once or twice". I imagine I'd use it on BlackBerry 10 the same way I use it on iOS ... not very often.
    03-01-13 09:35 AM
    MAJORITY of people on crackberry keep saying they "don't use Instagram",
    Oh I wish people would stop pulling stats and figures out of their arses. There are absolutely plenty of people who proclaim they "don't use instagram". But don't assume that everyone acts that way unless you've talked to everyone. Look at all the people active on CrackBerry right now: have the majority of them even claimed that they don't use it?
    03-01-13 09:38 AM
    It may not be the must-have app of the century, and plenty of people don't use it. But, how much did Facebook pay for Instagram? As hokey as it is, Facebook put a lot of merit into the app, and so have many others. To that respect, it becomes a highly visible app, which gets noticed when not on a specific platform. Since it is very reasonable to expect it to show up on BB10 soon, it will be a moot point.

I've used Instagram a few times. Mostly when I was posting things for my photography business. The same reason I use Facebook, Pinterest, and social apps like that. It's just another medium to get the word out. I probably wouldn't have used Instagram otherwise. But, just because it's not something I would use on a daily basis, doesn't mean it shouldn't be available.

It's like Vine. Sure, it is getting a lot of press for being something new, and only available on iOS, but have you seen the junk that gets posted?
    03-01-13 09:47 AM
    My opinion may have changed but not the fact that I'm still right.
    Chris Marsch likes this.
    03-01-13 09:47 AM
    yes - like the physical keyboard think...
    03-01-13 09:50 AM
31 12