I've been using BB for over a year and just noticed that contact lists are associated with email addresses.

Is there any way just to save the contacts in the BB? I don't want my contacts to be on the website but just on the BB. Will disabling synchronization option give me what I want?
    11-04-10 06:56 AM
    I don't understand your question. Contacts are stored on your BlackBerry. If you sync them with a PC running Outlook or some other personal information manager software, they will also be stored on your PC. I don't understand your website concern.
    11-04-10 08:26 PM
    my contacts list, or any contact for that matter, shows my gmail email account at the top as the contact list its associated with. i never specified it to be associated to my gmail email nor want it to be as i barely use it. i think it does this automatically as gmail is most commonly synced with contacts. i want to change this too and havent been able to find an option to do so yet.
    11-04-10 08:50 PM
    I'm using OS 5.0.0.732 on a Tour 9630. I'm a BES user. I use gmail, but I've never synced contacts with it. I don't know where to see the association you are referring to. "...shows my gmail account at the top..." The top of what?

UPDATE: Sorry, I just now figured out what you were talking about. You *may be able to change that association with Options / Advanced Options / Default Services / Contacts. Mine is set to "Desktop," which is the name of my BES profile.
    Last edited by JeffH; 11-04-10 at 08:59 PM. Reason: added more info
    11-04-10 08:54 PM
    yea just view a contact in your address book. on the top line it says "Contact list: xxxxx@gmail.com

but im on OS 6 now, ive never noticed this in OS 5. in the OS 6 version of "Default Services, my calendar and messaging is set to my main email address already. i have no option for contacts.
    11-04-10 09:34 PM
    I don't see that in OS 5.0.0.732 when viewing a contact. That could be a new feature added in OS 6.0, or it could be because I'm on BES. I can't tell. I have to go to Contacts / Options to see the profile association. Under Contact Lists it shows Desktop.
    11-04-10 09:44 PM
    I've been using BB for over a year and just noticed that contact lists are associated with email addresses.

Is there any way just to save the contacts in the BB? I don't want my contacts to be on the website but just on the BB. Will disabling synchronization option give me what I want?
    In a word, yes.

my contacts list, or any contact for that matter, shows my gmail email account at the top as the contact list its associated with. i never specified it to be associated to my gmail email nor want it to be as i barely use it. i think it does this automatically as gmail is most commonly synced with contacts. i want to change this too and havent been able to find an option to do so yet.
    If it's specified in email settings to sync, it'll do it automatically with BIS3.2. I don't know if OS6 has its own sync as well though, nor if email settings changed from OS5 to OS6.

yea just view a contact in your address book. on the top line it says "Contact list: xxxxx@gmail.com

but im on OS 6 now, ive never noticed this in OS 5. in the OS 6 version of "Default Services, my calendar and messaging is set to my main email address already. i have no option for contacts.
    OS5 doesn't have that, to see the association you'd have to do what Jeff says here:

I don't see that in OS 5.0.0.732 when viewing a contact. That could be a new feature added in OS 6.0, or it could be because I'm on BES. I can't tell. I have to go to Contacts / Options to see the profile association. Under Contact Lists it shows Desktop.
    Same on BIS; we just don't get the option to name the list as far as I can tell.
    11-05-10 04:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD