02-06-10 02:26 AM
77 1234
tools
    By definition of the word "need" you absolutely do not need one. I survived 3.5 years of college without it and I did not have a mental breakdown. I of course got one in my final semester and it has proven to be useful.

Now as far as the BB being useful for you, that all depends on what you do. Do you need to get emails instantly? or is it really not going to matter if you wait the extra 50 minutes for you to get back to your dorm/apt? I am in Navy ROTC, so being able to stay in contact 24/7 is a HUGE advantage, and I would recommend a BB if you are involved in that or a similar program that relies heavily on communication. That said, I survived 3.5 years by using my simple phone for calls and computer for email.

No matter what, your BB will be fun to have, but unless you are involved in something outside your classes that requires a great deal of communication I would actually recommend you save your money. Tuition and living expenses costs enough as it is.
    i would go with it. summed up well,wozniak3.
    12-28-09 09:25 AM
    Blackberry ftw
    12-29-09 08:47 AM
    I find my bb very useful for school.

...including playing brickbreaker during math class
    playing brickbreaker during math class this has to be the BEST reason for getting a BB.
    01-23-10 12:41 AM
    i have my s2 and i use it for everything... so yes
    01-23-10 03:05 AM
    playing brickbreaker during math class this has to be the BEST reason for getting a BB.
    At the end of last semester, my physics prof told me that I was the only person in the class who never slept all the time when he was teaching...if only he knew why
    01-23-10 08:07 PM
    a college student can definitely use a blackberry
    01-23-10 08:33 PM
    You don't need a blackberry until you get one, but once you have one you don't understand how you ever managed without it!
    01-24-10 06:59 AM
    yes of course we DO need BBs

its the best cell phone i've ever had (bold 9000)
    01-24-10 07:08 AM
    You don't need a blackberry until you get one, but once you have one you don't understand how you ever managed without it!
    well summed up.
    01-25-10 12:35 PM
    This is very true.

I am a college senior at Oklahoma State University, and love mine. The ability to send, receive and read emails without a computer is very essential. This ability is even better after picking up a 9630 opposed to my former 8130. I also use google calendar and sync to manage my schedule with important dates.
    Last edited by race2c; 01-25-10 at 12:44 PM.
    01-25-10 12:40 PM
    yes of course we DO need BBs

its the best cell phone i've ever had (bold 9000)

completely agree
    01-25-10 07:55 PM
    It is essential for my college. I have my college email set up and I get atleast 15 emails from my professors everyday. If you can't afford it then get a job or don't drink as much

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-25-10 10:19 PM
    Here's my situation:
    My 8830 has been marching toward death for about 7 weeks now (wow, as I typed that, its screen did its new favorite thing: went completely white and says "App Error 552"...awesome.)
    So, there's that business, and sometimes the keypad and/or trackball just won't work. I've had this phone since Oct. 2007, so I guess this is somewhat expected (not really...)

My Verizon new-every-2 is up next week -- I could get another BB (curve) for the low, low price of $79.99 (and sign myself up for another 2 years of fun with Verizon), but I also know that there are brand new BBs coming quite soon.
    Anyway, here's my question, does a college student really need a BlackBerry (+ $30/month data)?
    I'm by no means a heavy user, but I do enjoy the luxury of having e-mail/internet every once in a while. I guess I could carry my laptop around instead? I'm a little hesitant to give up the BB, so I wanted to get some outside advice...thanks for your thoughts!
    It really comes down to what you can afford. If you need to save money I found that Sprint is well worth it and has excellent blackberry devices. You also get a discount on service if you provide them with your school email address. I currently get 25% off my bill. So for $67 a month I have unlimited everything data mobile to mobile any carrier (who does not have a cell phone nowadays) and 450 min for those very few phone calls to landlines. There is a new blackberry tour2 coming out shortly. If you want an iphone rumors are they will be on all cellphone providers very soon.
    01-25-10 11:59 PM
    ****, I'm in High School and I need a Blackberry. I have a very heavy course load with all academic courses. It's sooooo useful to have it. When my printer acts up I use it as a USB so I can take my document and print it at school. When I don't know the answer to a question on a test? Simple. I go to the washroom and read my notes on my blackberry. Also, I have over 30 BBM contacts and I can't go a day without talking to all of them, and the speed of it is a huge bonus. Too bad I've been without my Crackberry for the last 3 weeks. The second day without it I found myself pacing around my house. No phone at all for 3 weeks. It's killer. Here's what happened:
    01-26-10 12:57 AM
    That's very true. Ever since my pearl I just can't go back to a non smartphone. Also my BB will help me out a lot when I go back to school in a few months.

01-26-10 01:59 AM
    I bought one when I was a "starving university" student (years ago, 73XX or something) and i had to sell it after like a month of using it. even though at the time datapackages were going for roughly 30/mnth, my bill always ended up in the 100's.

I would honestly wait until you can afford it. That being said, once you do have it, you can go back.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    01-26-10 04:03 AM
    I absolutely agree. Like a year ago, I would be like "why do I need to check my e-mails anywhere I go?". And now I'm like "where's my BB? I'm expecting several very important e-mails." So.. yeah.
    01-26-10 04:22 AM
    There are so many applications, and ways to customize a bb. It will fit in to anyones life from a college student to the high priced ceo. Me im a nurse i have all my drug facts and formulas and recources in my pocket i love it.
    01-26-10 05:25 AM
    I'm a college student with two part time jobs, and I must say the blackberry is HIGHLY beneficial for me; I definitely use it more than my 3GS. Did I NEED a blackberry? No, but once I got one and became accustomed to the way it handled email and organization, I had to keep it. Granted, financial circumstances may vary...don't sacrifice books for a berry.
    01-26-10 10:26 AM
    Once you go blackberry you can't go back

01-26-10 03:11 PM
    Here's my situation:
    My 8830 has been marching toward death for about 7 weeks now (wow, as I typed that, its screen did its new favorite thing: went completely white and says "App Error 552"...awesome.)
    So, there's that business, and sometimes the keypad and/or trackball just won't work. I've had this phone since Oct. 2007, so I guess this is somewhat expected (not really...)

My Verizon new-every-2 is up next week -- I could get another BB (curve) for the low, low price of $79.99 (and sign myself up for another 2 years of fun with Verizon), but I also know that there are brand new BBs coming quite soon.
    Anyway, here's my question, does a college student really need a BlackBerry (+ $30/month data)?
    I'm by no means a heavy user, but I do enjoy the luxury of having e-mail/internet every once in a while. I guess I could carry my laptop around instead? I'm a little hesitant to give up the BB, so I wanted to get some outside advice...thanks for your thoughts!
    Hmm...well from all that i've read from what it looks like it all depends on your situation. You shouldn't go by what people say, don't let them convince you. I say take a step back and think about your lifestyle. How busy are you.? How much do you need to read your email.? or can you wait to get to a computer.? etc. . .things like that, that need to be taking into consideration. another important thing is thee phone bill every month can you afford it.? well in fit into your budget.? again things that matter. and if you think thee BB is right for you and you can afford then go for it. if not then mayb downgrade to something little less expensive and something you can rely on. at least for now while in college; til you get a better job and know you can afford the luxury. i did the same thing well at least that's what i did. . .
    02-05-10 10:42 PM
    No you dont NEED your BB...but in this day and age there is somebody like me that can send a resume or an email from just about anywhere with my BB its becoming an asset to your personal development in your career...so a BB is not a necessity but its a great tool in college where networking and quick communication makes you look like a great candidate for internships and post-grad jobs...

but thats just my 2 cents....
    Last edited by rarebreed1134; 02-05-10 at 11:03 PM. Reason: incomplete sentence...
    02-05-10 11:00 PM
    Yes I need my bb, I am a peer mentor in school. If anything goes wrong with the kids, I can help them by letting them email me, and I can respond right away. I can also manage club members better and interact with other clubs that I am in.
    02-05-10 11:08 PM
    i totally agree that college students need them. it helps them schedule their papers, edit their documents, and keeps them in touch with their academic committee/professors via email on the go. its such a handy device that makes life easier for a stressful college curriculum. but some college students can't resist the urge of the iphone. so both devices get their equal share in various universities. i used my berry a lot while i was in college.
    02-05-10 11:15 PM
    if you use it right it helps a lot. Especially the email function. Most of my professors had blackberries so they would reply instantly for any question
    02-05-10 11:20 PM
77 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD