02-06-10 02:26 AM
77 123 ...
tools
    Here's my situation:
    My 8830 has been marching toward death for about 7 weeks now (wow, as I typed that, its screen did its new favorite thing: went completely white and says "App Error 552"...awesome.)
    So, there's that business, and sometimes the keypad and/or trackball just won't work. I've had this phone since Oct. 2007, so I guess this is somewhat expected (not really...)

My Verizon new-every-2 is up next week -- I could get another BB (curve) for the low, low price of $79.99 (and sign myself up for another 2 years of fun with Verizon), but I also know that there are brand new BBs coming quite soon.
    Anyway, here's my question, does a college student really need a BlackBerry (+ $30/month data)?
    I'm by no means a heavy user, but I do enjoy the luxury of having e-mail/internet every once in a while. I guess I could carry my laptop around instead? I'm a little hesitant to give up the BB, so I wanted to get some outside advice...thanks for your thoughts!
    Last edited by am24; 02-06-09 at 10:48 AM.
    02-06-09 10:43 AM
    i have one and use it for almost everything.
    02-06-09 10:48 AM
    You may think you would be able to go with out a BB, but I know myself if I had to give up my email and web access I would go crazy. I am willing to bet if you went with another device you would regret it and want to go back.

Personally I would try and hold out if you could and see if there are any new devices released soon. I had heard rumors that the CDMA Bold may be out this Spring had heard March or April but I would guess more like April/May.
    02-06-09 10:53 AM
    of course they do!!
    02-06-09 11:14 AM
    use the great keyboard for text...and wifi for internet. don't pay $30 BB plan if you won't use it much.
    02-06-09 11:19 AM
    if you get verizon you have to pay that $30 no way around it even if you get a bb with wifi capablities
    02-06-09 11:24 AM
    I have one and find it very useful while being in college.
    02-06-09 11:25 AM
    We def need BB's i have two, and couldn't live with out either one for more than a day.
    02-06-09 11:27 AM
    By definition of the word "need" you absolutely do not need one. I survived 3.5 years of college without it and I did not have a mental breakdown. I of course got one in my final semester and it has proven to be useful.

Now as far as the BB being useful for you, that all depends on what you do. Do you need to get emails instantly? or is it really not going to matter if you wait the extra 50 minutes for you to get back to your dorm/apt? I am in Navy ROTC, so being able to stay in contact 24/7 is a HUGE advantage, and I would recommend a BB if you are involved in that or a similar program that relies heavily on communication. That said, I survived 3.5 years by using my simple phone for calls and computer for email.

No matter what, your BB will be fun to have, but unless you are involved in something outside your classes that requires a great deal of communication I would actually recommend you save your money. Tuition and living expenses costs enough as it is.
    02-06-09 11:28 AM
    When I was still a med student.. I used google about every 20 minutes to look something up... the nurses on my rotations called me "Mister Google" and "Doctor Google"... In an age where you CAN get instant answers wirelessly, why wouldn't you?

I'm sure there are a lot of us that can remember having to go to the LIBRARY to use the internet (in undergrad anyway) ... seriously, $30/ month gives you basically unlimited internet and messaging (so long as you use BBM or web-based IM/email) ... that's worth it. Unlimited text data plans are $29.99, right? Same deal without BBM...

There are also a lot of APPS that are written for BB that you might find useful from finance to medical calculators to.. whatever you are working on...

Just some things to think about!
    02-06-09 11:40 AM
    I can't even count the number of notes and files I've had e-mailed to my smartphones (my BB now and my previous other non-BB smartphones) through the semesters. I use them as a little jumpdrive I always have on me.

In addition to the calendar and emailing my professors instantly which has saved my **** or given me an advantage numerous times. There's been times my teachers have changed or added to the material that was going to be on an exam and they sent it out an email about the day of the exam (night class teachers love to do this, they assume you're not doing anything all day but studying for their class). Without having email on me, I wouldn't have known unless I managed to get computer access inbetween my morning classes (not likely), so getting the information in those emails right away has been very advantageous for me. No suprise, fellow students in those classes who did not get the opportunity to read those emails before walking into class to take those exams were blindsided by the new material, didn't do as well, and usually complained about how unfair that professor from then on.

Also, some may find this a little difficult to believe, but I've also written numerous term papers on my smartphones. Not all the way to the point where they were ready for submitting to get graded, but I've written the rough drafts many times while waiting for classes to start, researching in the library, waiting here or there, etc....AND then by the time I DO get home, all I need to do is transfer my rough draft to my computer, read it through, proof it, fill out citations, reword parts, do the general work to make it a quality final draft and I'm done with it. This has been a HUGE life saver for having dates and other activities when papers are due. You'd be amazed how much all the little times you have wait in college add up to. Most times when I used my smartphones to get a jump on a paper, I was done with my paper in a matter of an hour or two by the time I'd get home and really get working on it, rather than sitting down to write a paper and knowing I have a whole night of work and possibly an all-nighter ahead of me. So that's been AWESOME!!! Getting your huge paper done in time to still have a life the night before it's due is a big benefit, not needed, but very nice to have.

I'm sure there's other things I've used it for that I'm not even remembering right now, but needless to say, it'll be helpful. It'll be as helpful as you make it, there's countless ways it can help, it just matters how many you take advantage of.

That being said, the term "broke college student" isn't just a funny casual joke. It's the honest truth of the way it is, and if you can make it work without the expense of a smartphone, then save the cash, and put it towards better use.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-06-09 12:04 PM
    I think you already know the answer and you're hoping someone will try and talk you OUT of it...a new BB.

I might hold out a bit and see what some of the up-coming BBs look like while hoping the current phone holds up. If you're hesitant to give up the BB then subconsciously you must really want it. Leave your BB in a drawer for a week without touching it and see how you feel then!!

You have to go a WHOLE week though...seven, (7) days...
    02-06-09 12:13 PM
    I highly doubt a college student NEEDS a BB or any PDA phone that requires a $30 data plan. I know as one myself, it's definitely a luxury. Of course after you've gotten accustom to me, it's much more difficult to let go. $30 isn't THAT much money. If you just skip eating out or going out drinking a few times, you can easily save up $30 for the data plan.

Personally I think an iPhone is better suited for a college student. With all the apps available, I find myself using my iPhone much more for school purposes. I use Google Calendars quite a bit, one "calendar" for each of my classes. The BB calendar is too rudimentary, and doesn't support colored calendar sync with GCalendar. Plus the layout and tiny screen makes it difficult to use in general. Also, there are HW trackers that are really useful for me. The Tasks app in BB is also too simple. As far as emailing goes, I highly doubt a majority of students need PUSH. 15 min fetch works just fine for me. Gmail is my primary email address, so all of my emails related to school are automatically labeled depending on class. With BB, I have to use the Gmail app, so I'm on 15min fetch anyways. Emailing overall is more efficient on the iPhone.

Not everyone will agree with me. But I truly believe a jailbroken iPhone is more powerful/useful than a BB in almost every way. My Bold is a very solid device, it's reliable just a great overall phone in general. But most of the features/programs that come with the phone are very rudimentary, and 3rd party applications are limited and ridiculously expensive. With that said, I'm using my Bold as my primary phone for now. I text a lot, and enjoy using a physical keyboard as opposed to the touchscreen (I'm faster on my iPhone though). I definitely love my Bold, it's a great device and I haven't been able to give up either one. But if I HAD to choose one, I'd choose my iPhone.
    Last edited by gbadude; 02-06-09 at 12:24 PM.
    02-06-09 12:22 PM
    It really depends on your money situation and your organizational skills. If you can afford the extra 30 a month for the data plan, then I would keep the BB because it can only help you stay organize. I know when I go back to school my BB will go with me everywhere to help keep me organized. I always end up with papers shooting out of the sides of my notebooks and books and due dates seem to creep up on me. Then again if you have a nice laptop that you enjoy using and have setup and sync'd with your life then that would be just as acceptable. I have a laptop, but it's really nothing special because the battery won't hold a charge for 15min so I would never carry it around campus or anything with me and often found myself needing to look online or email a professor when I wasn't at my apartment (happened ALOT.. who woulda though I would never be home? )
    02-06-09 01:28 PM
    It really depends on your money situation and your organizational skills. If you can afford the extra 30 a month for the data plan, then I would keep the BB because it can only help you stay organize. I know when I go back to school my BB will go with me everywhere to help keep me organized. I always end up with papers shooting out of the sides of my notebooks and books and due dates seem to creep up on me. Then again if you have a nice laptop that you enjoy using and have setup and sync'd with your life then that would be just as acceptable. I have a laptop, but it's really nothing special because the battery won't hold a charge for 15min so I would never carry it around campus or anything with me and often found myself needing to look online or email a professor when I wasn't at my apartment (happened ALOT.. who woulda though I would never be home? )
    This is the best answer to your question. The money situation is definetly first priority. If your laptop works good enough and it'll help you save money then you're better off. But if you really "need" the BB as far as staying organized goes, then go ahead as long as it won't hit you too hard in your wallet.
    02-06-09 01:32 PM
    I used my bb for school!
    02-06-09 02:27 PM
    My friend I shall answer this question plainly and truly- yes you friggin need your BB-no doubt!

02-06-09 02:31 PM
    Oh and one follow-up...this secret has been passed down for generations...just buy cheaper beer.

02-06-09 02:32 PM
    i couldnt go without mine. EVER!
    02-06-09 02:43 PM
    I have one and I use it for everything. Besides, T-Mobile offers unlimited data for $19.99/month

Last edited by zarzamora_hermosa; 02-26-09 at 11:56 PM.
    02-06-09 08:24 PM
    I find my bb very useful for school.

...including playing brickbreaker during math class
    02-06-09 08:40 PM
    Need is a term I am somewhat apprehensive about using. My BB did make a lot of things more streamlined. Being able to leave my laptop at home 3 out of 5 days a week was nice. Being able to carry all my appointments, important documents, and related stuff was nice as well. But at no point did something occur that could not have occurred without ye olde Blackberry.
    02-06-09 08:50 PM
    I survived undergrad without one. Wasn't such a need then. But now at graduate school I can't imagine being without mine. Keeping up with everything that's going on would be impossible without the access my curve gives me. Well worth the $30 a month imo.
    02-06-09 09:11 PM
    Something else you may want to factor in is whether or not you can get a discount on your phone and data plan through your school?

I go to a state university and could get 18% off plan and 20% off data plan. (fiance works for UPS and they offer 22% so we use that option)

Go to the verizon work discount page where you put in an email addy and then put in your .edu email and see what you get.

I do use my BB for school a lot but I wouldn't say I NEED it. It is a very useful tool but if it stretched the budget too far, it could go away...maybe...lol.
    02-06-09 11:32 PM
    I keep in contact a lot with my teachers and such, like with questions about assignments. It's nice to be able to go to the library with just my notebooks and stuff, and know that with my blackberry, I can get help if I need it. I don't need to drag around my laptop anymore.
    02-06-09 11:38 PM
77 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD