Every since I bought my first BB phone ever which is a Q10. To be quite honest I installed Google Play from Cobalt's thread, but I don't really use it. I only downloaded maybe 2 or 3 total apps from the play store. Majority of my apps are either from Amazon, Bar files, or just flat out third party games from java.mob.org type websites.

Maybe it's because I'm not really an app junkie. I don't have snapchat, twitter, or instagram. I only have FB for social media and I just usually use the browser for FB. Mozilla Firefox I only use that as a backup browser in case something is wrong with the BB stock browser. Any other than that the stock BB browser is perfectly fine for me no complaints. I also learned last year that you can go to any website and basically bookmark the site as a homepage and utilize it as if it's an official app. When I was with Nokia/Symbian, with the limited options of apps I still wasn't really in a app gap situation because I still had all the apps that I wanted. Now that I'm with BB10 with the likes of Amazon apps and Google Play their really is no such thing as app gap for me. I honestly don't remember when was the last time I downloaded an app from Google Play. If I ever do again, I would really hate for that Google Play Service notification to pop up on my hub over and over. I don't know how to lucky patch it I need to watch some youtube tutorials on that.
    03-06-16 03:36 PM
    My banking apps (required for mobile deposits) are only available through Google Play Store. They also happen to require Google Play Services - one extra step.

I also prefer logging into and using GMaps (I use saved places, and pre-fetch maps for locations I travel to). My media server apps are only available there too.

Of course there are a whole slew of not-entirely-necessary-but-much-appreciated apps I can only find in the Google Play Store.

It is generally the safest place to find the most recent versions of said apps.

So, yes?
    03-06-16 03:42 PM
    I use Snap for my apps. Don't use any app that needs Google play services for it to work, so I passed on installing Cobalt's workaround. I've actually deleted all Amazon apps ( since the ones I used haven't been updated for a while) and substituted them for the updated versions on Snap.

One of the last BlackBerry aficionados in PR. Passport island life.
    idhbar likes this.
    03-06-16 03:54 PM
    I use Snap for my apps. Don't use any app that needs Google play services for it to work, so I passed on installing Cobalt's workaround. I've actually deleted all Amazon apps ( since the ones I used haven't been updated for a while) and substituted them for the updated versions on Snap.

YadHg can you help me with Snap? I have Google Play But I'm trying to install Snap, when I go to enter my IP Address into the computer it tells me it can't find it, I'm using Chrome Browser. Here's what I get. What am I doing wrong? I have Developer mode on.
    Do any of you BB heads use Google Play?-img_20160306_193647.jpg
    Do any of you BB heads use Google Play?-img_20160306_193631.jpg

Aaron's #BlackBerryZ10 🔟🆒
    03-06-16 07:45 PM
    I found out the problem! It was trying to us the IP Address from my other BlackBerry. I finally have it installed
    Do any of you BB heads use Google Play?-img_20160306_204522.png

03-06-16 08:48 PM
    If you have Google Play than you don't need snap.
    As for Ops... If you don't need Google Play than why install it in the first place.
    03-06-16 08:51 PM
    I've had Google Play Forever, but rather have Snap, I just didn't delete GPS before I posted this.

03-06-16 09:59 PM
    Same here.

Posted via CB10
    hoytbowhunter likes this.
    03-06-16 11:10 PM
    My banking apps (required for mobile deposits) are only available through Google Play Store. They also happen to require Google Play Services - one extra step.

I also prefer logging into and using GMaps (I use saved places, and pre-fetch maps for locations I travel to). My media server apps are only available there too.

Of course there are a whole slew of not-entirely-necessary-but-much-appreciated apps I can only find in the Google Play Store.

It is generally the safest place to find the most recent versions of said apps.

So, yes?
    No Problem just change banks.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-16 11:25 PM
    Or even simpler, use the bank website just like you do when you are on a PC or laptop.
    Afterall, isn't the Priv supposed to be a better mobile laptop than the Passport? ;-)
    I always use desktop websites and the browser in desktop mode on my Passport. Hate mobile websites.
    They have little information.
    03-07-16 01:06 AM
    If you have Google Play than you don't need snap.
    As for Ops... If you don't need Google Play than why install it in the first place.
    Just in case I need something. I'm satisfied as of now but you never know their might be a app that I really need.
    RoseBud68 and hoytbowhunter like this.
    03-07-16 01:12 AM
    Or even simpler, use the bank website just like you do when you are on a PC or laptop.
    Afterall, isn't the Priv supposed to be a better mobile laptop than the Passport? ;-)
    I always use desktop websites and the browser in desktop mode on my Passport. Hate mobile websites.
    They have little information.
    You can't make deposits using website. Only the app.
    03-07-16 05:25 AM
    No Problem just change banks.

Posted via CB10
    If only life was that simple.

*C5303
    Ronindan likes this.
    03-07-16 05:55 AM
    YadHg can you help me with Snap? I have Google Play But I'm trying to install Snap, when I go to enter my IP Address into the computer it tells me it can't find it, I'm using Chrome Browser. Here's what I get. What am I doing wrong? I have Developer mode on.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160306_193647.jpg 
Views:	1068 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	393429
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160306_193631.jpg 
Views:	1070 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	393430

Glad it worked out. Sorry for not responding sooner, sundays are hit the books day for me.

03-07-16 09:06 AM
    Yeah I've got a handful of apps from the Google Play store. But do I needed them? Nah. Is it nice to have them? Definitely.

Apps I use from gp:
    Google maps
    Google music
    CBC news
    Yahoo sports
    Yahoo fantasy sports
    OneNote
    HomeStars
    and some games

Some of those apps are available on Amazon and Snap. I wished BlackBerry 10 was successful, but gotta know when you've lost.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-16 09:15 AM
    Thanks again for the help .

03-07-16 08:38 PM
    You use smartphones for payments but work with paper cheques?

So old school to require cheques. Much more old school than using websites ;-) How about electronic bank transfers?!?

Now, coming back to bank websites and apps.
    My bank website allows me to have over 20 payees. My bank app limits the number.
    When I have to pay some bills, I have to go to the bank website because the bank app does not show all my payees...
    03-08-16 06:17 AM
    Why don't you complain to the bank and ask them to add the feature to the website, too, since they added it to the bank app?
    03-08-16 06:19 AM
    Why don't you complain to the bank and ask them to add the feature to the website, too, since they added it to the bank app?
    I will take it up with both RBC and Scotiabank at my next high level meeting.

Oh wait, I don't care that the apps use Google Play Services. Lol
    johnny_bravo72 likes this.
    03-08-16 06:31 AM
    I don't use it, have tried it and have no desire to use it in future.
    03-08-16 06:33 AM
    And here I thought smartphones were meant to make things more convenient for its users.

only in crackberry.
    03-08-16 08:58 AM
    I don't understand the submissive attitude many here show.
    You pay the bank! You pay the phone company!
    Why accept to be bullied about?
    acovey likes this.
    03-08-16 05:07 PM
    I will take it up with both RBC and Scotiabank at my next high level meeting.

Oh wait, I don't care that the apps use Google Play Services. Lol
    Yes. That's the attitude they expect from you: accept whatever they impose on you even if you pay them.
    No wonder Google controls the Web with people accepting whatever they do and cheering them as they monopolize the web.

Attachment 393626
    03-08-16 05:10 PM
    I don't understand the submissive attitude many here show.
    You pay the bank! You pay the phone company!
    Why accept to be bullied about?
    So what would you do?
    03-08-16 05:12 PM
    I already do. I don't use Google and I use bb10 and the bank website if the bank does not provide all the features in the bank app.
    If more people were like me and refused to be bullied into submission, especially since smartphones are not vital (they did not even exist 15 years ago) we would not be here.
    And it will get far worse with IoT.
    03-08-16 05:15 PM
69 123