Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    and if not, can you still use the google maps app
    03-01-09 09:04 PM
    The 8230 Does, but is only for CDMA. The 8220 has WiFi no GPS, but yes you can use google maps.
    03-01-09 09:05 PM
    The 8220 does not have an internal GPS receiver. The Google map application will work on the phone even without GPS. Google maps will try to locate your position using the nearest cellular tower to figure out you location usually to about a few hundred meters.

You can buy a bluetooth GPS reciever that works with most applications to provide exact satellite positioning to your phone.

This device will send over a bluetooth connection information it receives from the satellite of your position and Google Maps will be able to translate that into an exact position to about 3 meters. I used this bluetooth device for over 3 years, and it works with any bluetooth enabled device.

Device on Google maps without GPS, using cellular tower:

Device on Google Maps utilizing GPS:
    Last edited by lalifeguards; 03-02-09 at 01:00 AM.
    03-02-09 12:40 AM
    I have an 8230 on Telus (OS 4.6.1.182) and here's my 2 cents on it's GPS features...now I can only comment on Telus' service, many other providers have different policies. Telus locks out their aGPS (assisted GPS) feature to any 3rd party apps, even BBMaps. BBMaps, GPSed, Google Maps etc take forever to find a signal if at all, and lose that connection within seconds (in my experience). However, Telus Navigator ($10/mth) works flawlessly! It's definately worth it if you only need it for a quick roadtrip. But anyone that needs a more reliable connection for GPS tracking/logging etc will be much happier with a standalone bluetooth GPS receiver. I use a Houlx GPSlim240 ($85 CAD and the size of a USB thumb drive). Extremely fast and accurate, and it also works with my laptop.. Personally, I wouldn't trust the built in GPS if I was in a new city trying to find my way around.
    Last edited by emc123; 03-31-09 at 01:32 PM.
    03-31-09 12:59 PM
    only the 8230 has GPS, the 8220 has wifi
    03-31-09 11:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD