Hey y'all,

I left a post the other day about being able to use Sprint BBs on Verizon because I reeeeaally want a red Curve. The main response I got was no, and after visiting a couple Verizon stores and asking, their response was the same...

Now I've got my eye on a red Curve by Alltel, which Verizon told me they could do since Alltel just merged with them. BUT, they did say that if it uses a SIM card, they couldn't.

So, I'm pretty sure Alltel was a CDMA network so they don't use SIM cards, but now I'm not sure. So before I go and buy the Alltel Curve, do any of you know about this? Do Alltel Blackberries use SIM cards?

Thanks - Camille
    03-18-09 05:45 PM
    Alltel does not use SIM Cards. If what Verizon told you is true and they can now use the Alltel phones, you should be able to get and use the Alltel one.
    03-18-09 05:50 PM
    Alltel is a CDMA carrier, so you should be fine.
    03-18-09 05:57 PM
    you should be able to use an unlocked gsm device on a CDMA carrier. i.e. - the att red curve on the verizon network
    03-18-09 05:57 PM
    Chelseytx,

You cannot use a GSM phone on a CDMA network.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-18-09 06:02 PM
    Hey y'all,

I left a post the other day about being able to use Sprint BBs on Verizon because I reeeeaally want a red Curve. The main response I got was no, and after visiting a couple Verizon stores and asking, their response was the same...

Now I've got my eye on a red Curve by Alltel, which Verizon told me they could do since Alltel just merged with them. BUT, they did say that if it uses a SIM card, they couldn't.

So, I'm pretty sure Alltel was a CDMA network so they don't use SIM cards, but now I'm not sure. So before I go and buy the Alltel Curve, do any of you know about this? Do Alltel Blackberries use SIM cards?

Thanks - Camille
    I am with Alltel and have a red curve, it does not use a sim card.

Hope this helps!!
    Laurie
    03-18-09 06:11 PM
    you should be able to use an unlocked gsm device on a CDMA carrier. i.e. - the att red curve on the verizon network
    How is that possible???... I believe the Storm is the only one you can use with CDMA and GSM...
    03-18-09 06:18 PM
    Alltel was a CDMA network and there phones are completable with Verizon.
    03-18-09 06:24 PM
    How is that possible???... I believe the Storm is the only one you can use with CDMA and GSM...
    That is what I heard as well. the Storm is the only bi-frequency network (CDMA & GSM) BlackBerry available.
    03-18-09 06:29 PM
    Having done some reaearch on this topic for a friend, I know you can use the alltel curve on verizon. They are the same company now, so going back and forth is no problem. I got out of a cancellation fee with Alltel when I switched to Verizon bc of this. haha have fun with your red curve!!!
    03-18-09 06:48 PM
    Thanks a bunch for the responses! Soo glad I can get a Curve in my fav color, but mostly, I'm just excited to be getting a Curve.

Thanks again. You were all very helpful - Camille
    03-19-09 02:35 AM
    Camille, I would take what any Verizon employee at a corporate store says with a huge grain of salt. They will say basically anything, and most are clueless about what is actually the case.

If I were you, I'd call Verizon and ask them straight up if you can buy an Alltel phone and activate it on their network. Be specific, tell them it's a Blackberry 8330. When you get an answer, call again, then again, and see if you get the same answer all the time.

If you get varying answers, that should throw up a red flag that you might get burned and end up with an Alltel phone that they won't allow on their network (yet).

03-19-09 02:48 AM
    so the alltel curves are not unlockable because they are not GSM and dont use SIM cards?
    this makes me sad...
    03-25-09 02:51 PM
    it is unlockable to other CDMA carriers
    03-25-09 03:27 PM
    Chelseytx, your wrong again. CDMA phones are carrier specific. They are preprogrammed to the company that ordered them. I have a post in the US Cellular forum that explains the working of a CDMA phone and it's "unlockability". Only time this work's is like in this case where Verizion bought Alltell.

03-25-09 05:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD