Being new to smartphones in general, do all smartphones have memory leakage problem? So is it software related or just something you have to live with? Do all Blackberry's suffer from this problem? I've heard that the Moto Droid and HTC Eris is having the same problem? I love Blackberry's but is it ever going to get better?
    12-09-09 09:08 AM
    Yes it is getting better, much better. Back when I had my 8130 when it would get low on memory it would delete my Messages and calender events! They are improving on it with every OS release.

And also, a lot of the time it is the apps that are causing the memory leak, not the OS. So the developers need to work out that memory leak issue.

But yes, a lot of smartphones have this issue
    12-09-09 09:17 AM
    I heard of something called QuickPull, is it good or not? Can you set it for a pacific time when your not using it?
    12-09-09 09:24 AM
    Essentially yes for the time being it seems.

For a bit more details:
    All smartphones (bar the iPhone as far as I can tell) have memory problems, due to the fact that that most are now switching to android which is comparatively a new OS, as a google product, i have more faith in android having its paper cuts fixed way before BB's.

I believe the iPhone doesnt have this problem because you can run only one app at a time and the clean up is done well - memory is freed correctly.

Arguably (and truthfully) BB's OS will always be behind the others (in terms of memory management), simply due to the fact that its built on Java, and one of the main problems with Java inheritance is that you can cause empty/dead objects easily compared to C and C++.
    12-09-09 09:33 AM
    No, not all smartphones have memory leaks. In my experience, all BBs have leaks. Quickpull does it's job pretty well.
    12-09-09 09:34 AM
    I heard of something called QuickPull, is it good or not? Can you set it for a pacific time when your not using it?
    Yes check out this sweet blog post for all the information about QuickPull free and Pro

Quickpull and Quickpull Pro - Leave your BlackBerry’s Backside Behind | CrackBerry.com
    12-09-09 09:51 AM
    Thanks, QuickPull sounds good.
    12-09-09 10:16 AM
    if you have a Tour/Storm you can use MeterBerry for additionnal feature for memory/battery menagement
    12-09-09 10:35 AM
    I have next to no memory leak on my 9700. There's minor fluctuations in memory, but that's to be expected. So yes, it does get better. Older devices seem to be more prone to the memory leaks than the newest ones.
    12-09-09 11:01 AM
    not all smartphones are plagued by memory leaks; BBs are more prone to memory leaks but I guess they are getting better nowadays.
    12-09-09 11:49 AM
    my storm didn't have a memory leak on .148. some apps caused to leak, but with no 3rd party apps added there was no leak, so it's a matter of what you load on your phone.

when i loaded .328 with no apps loaded, there's a leak that will use all 30ish MB free in about 3 days, sometimes less. the browser causes a memory leak, it's well known around here. some apps cause it to leak faster. sometimes after a battery pull the memory won't leak for a good 5 days, then it'll bottom out in 2 or 3 days.

with android that i've seen (both in testing for VZW, and on friend's phones, many different configurations, duplicated scenarios on all, etc) there is no memory leak to speak of. i know people who haven't had to reboot their android phone since day 1 when it came out, and the phones that were in testing lasted months without a reboot. it was never needed.

IMO, it's the security software and the "consumer glitz" code that are conflicting. RIM will need to pick a lane, or partition the OS into "business" and "consumer" because they're failing at doing both right now. just my very educated perspective on the situation.

if you're willing to tolerate a memory leak, by all means try the phone. you have 30 days to test it, that should be enough to test the actual performance of the device, but keep in mind there's a learning curve for all phones, so you'll have to do both simultaneously. my suggestion is to use the phones at a store, or use friends' phones if you can. get used to the general way the phone runs, then buy it. that way you have a head start in case 30 days isn't enough to figure it out. and you can always return it and upgrade again later on.
    12-09-09 04:31 PM
    Here is the thing, 98% of the people you hear talk about memory leaks on a
    smartphone have no idea what they are talking about.

Most people do not understand the way in which specific platforms manage memory
    and attribute even the slightest fluctuation as a memory leak.

Best advice is to use the phone, do regular and basic housekeeping and let the
    device manage memory the way it was designed to.
    12-09-09 05:15 PM
    Here is the thing, 98% of the people you hear talk about memory leaks on a
    smartphone have no idea what they are talking about.

Most people do not understand the way in which specific platforms manage memory
    and attribute even the slightest fluctuation as a memory leak.

Best advice is to use the phone, do regular and basic housekeeping and let the
    device manage memory the way it was designed to.
    Well said!
    12-09-09 05:20 PM
    Thanks guys that helps alot.
    12-10-09 10:41 AM
    and you get the extra bonus of nuking your phone....

quick pull gets two big thumbs down

use "alt" + "caps" + "del".... RIM included it for a reason.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I uninstalled quickpull

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-10-09 10:52 AM
    People worry about memory too much. Unused memory is wasted memory, and some people attribute normal memory usage to memory leaks. I've ran my phone down to 7MB of memory free and its run fine. You don't need 30MB free to run the phone. Memory is there to be used and store apps, not to site there unused as a competition on a forum to see who can have the most memory free. Use it, install apps, enjoy it! Its there to be used.
    12-10-09 12:06 PM
    ^^ +1

And any application can have a memory leak. It;s up to the developper to call garbage collection at the right time, and up to the OS to collect perfectly. Never going to happen.
    12-10-09 01:27 PM
    I have an S2 and I have no memory leak. I don't leave apps like weather or news feeds running, and I'm careful to close out stuff after I use it. I'll boot with 130 mb and it stays between 130 and 129 for days and days--no resets, no battery pulls. BIG improvement over the S1 pre .148 days, and by the time .328 came along, I was losing so little memory that I stopped even checking. I'm running themes and animated screens and still no leak; that would have killed my S1.
    12-10-09 01:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD