Hello,

Are there any GPS programs on BB that do not require a data connection? Unless I am missing something they all seem to operate in a similar way to google maps which I really do not want.

Thanks

Neil
    07-15-08 03:54 AM
    Hi

Yes, to my knowledge they all reguire data for the downloading of maps onto your device.

If you have Orange's 250mb data plan this should cover all gps data use.
    Last edited by Hazysky; 07-15-08 at 04:57 AM.
    07-15-08 04:01 AM
    Unless I am missing something they all seem to operate in a similar way to google maps which I really do not want.
    Until we get a way to store maps on our media cards, a data plan is required to download the maps as you drive. Your assumption is wrong, however. Google Maps (IIRC) uses cell tower triangulation instead of actual GPS satalites.
    07-15-08 04:47 AM
    Hopefully tomtom will bring one out.

What if you are driving abroad for example? I took my WM handset abroad several times and with the pre-loaded maps all I needed was a GPS signal.

Looks like I'll be dusting off the tomtom one again. Poor research by me I suppose had I known this limitation I'd have gone for the 8320 rather than the 8310, I chose to go with GPS over 3G and wifi.
    07-15-08 06:35 AM
    Hopefully tomtom will bring one out.

What if you are driving abroad for example? I took my WM handset abroad several times and with the pre-loaded maps all I needed was a GPS signal.

Looks like I'll be dusting off the tomtom one again. Poor research by me I suppose had I known this limitation I'd have gone for the 8320 rather than the 8310, I chose to go with GPS over 3G and wifi.
    Google Maps for BB works just fine with GPS. The maps do, however, require a data plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-08 07:14 AM
    DATA is NOT necessary for a few gps applications. Trekbuddy and Mobile Gmaps both can use maps that you can store on your SD card. BUT you have to use yet other programs to capture maps on your computer and this can be a bit more complicated and requires advanced planning so you have the maps you need. And covering broad swaths of countries, Europe, US might be an overwhelming task.

Garmin apparently offers (not for verizon) some system with the maps on an SD card but I don't know if this is available outside of the US. It may not need data - conflicting reports.
    07-15-08 10:11 AM
    I came across some products from E-mobile Software:

(Sorry, I can not post URL's yet)

I sent them an inquiry about whether or not you could download their maps onto your phonse microSD card, and they said that yes, you could. The maps are obtained via the data connection, but that they could be downloaded. Sounds like an easy way to go, if they work the same way when you do not have your data connection, such as in a dead zone.

Anybody have any experience with this vendor?
    07-15-08 11:06 AM
    I've found one GPS app that doesn't require map downloads, bbTracker. Probably not exactly what you are looking for, but thought I'd mention it.

It provides current position Lat/Lon. And records position every 5 seconds. After you have finished walking, cycling, running or driving somewhere you can review elevation change and speed over the entire trip. And then you can upload a file into Google Earth to get a fly by of the route you took.

And for those of you in the same expensive data plan as me (Rogers Canada) you will appreciate that there are no data charges to use this app.
    07-16-08 01:02 AM
    I wonder if tomtom will release a BB version?

All I want to do is load the maps onto my SD card and navigate as I have with every other satnav I have owned.
    07-17-08 04:04 AM
    Yes, I would like to find someone who makes maps that I can install onto the SD card, too. Nokia has TeleAtlas, which installs the program on the phone, and has the maps on the SD card, but only for the Nokia. I talked to Garmin, and they apparently have something like that too, but not for the Blackberry, which has to rely on a online connection to pull maps from their server.

Hopefully someone will offer something up soon.
    07-17-08 11:31 AM
    Trekbuddy is one nifty one. Although, it does not have turn-by-turn directions. You can store maps one the card and load them up from Trekbuddy.
    07-17-08 12:22 PM
    It was my impression that you had to download the Trekbuddy maps individually. How do you go about determining which maps you have stored to use depending on where you are? I know the GPS will give you a lat/lon value, so then how do you match up a map to where you are? Please pardon my lack of knowledge, as this is all new to me.
    07-17-08 02:00 PM
    It was my impression that you had to download the Trekbuddy maps individually. How do you go about determining which maps you have stored to use depending on where you are? I know the GPS will give you a lat/lon value, so then how do you match up a map to where you are? Please pardon my lack of knowledge, as this is all new to me.
    If you know you are going to Vancouver, BC, you would download those maps. Same for LA or NYC (or portions, thereof). You can give them names and then load them when you arrive. I got lost in their Atlas process - it can get complex to get the maps and zoom levels, etc
    07-19-08 11:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD