I broke down & got a new (white) 9700 today (it's ugly) after mine was stolen yesterday afternoon. I ran the backup & restore through DM trying to put my info onto the new phone. None of my apps or media transferred. Is this normal? Is the backup strickly for contacts etc? My txt/call/browser logs were the only things backed up. My contactd automatically restored them selves after inserting the new sim because I did the wireless backup throiugh t-mobile a few days prior. Any suggestions? Are my media/pictures gone for good??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-10 10:22 PM
    its fairly well known that DM backup and restore only backs up and restores PIM data and phone settings. it doesnt backup and restore 3rd party apps. media is usually stored on a SD card, which again, isnt backed up or restored with DM. you must backup and restore these items seperately.
    08-17-10 10:39 PM
    That is correct. The Back-up process does not back up your media card - you have to make a file and copy those files manually. As far as apps, there is a way to back them up and it is detailed in the FAQ forum. It is not a part of the DM default backup process. Sorry for your loss, I know it must svck.

Last edited by exelant; 08-17-10 at 10:46 PM.
    08-17-10 10:42 PM
    FYI, for future reference:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/upda...updated-53201/

08-17-10 10:45 PM
    Darn.. I'll know better next time.

08-18-10 12:20 AM
    Darn.. I'll know better next time.

you post often, i assume you read often too. however, i do see you ask some simple "back to basics" questions on occasion. check the BB 101 lecture series to brushen up on most commonly asked questions. OS upgrading and backing up are well covered. it will help ensure your data is well preserved should you incur future complications.
    08-18-10 01:29 AM
    Yeah I haven't really HAD to use DM much so I'm not an expert on it myself.. I've had a Berry for over 3 years and have NEVER had one lost or stolen. So as far as what DM actually backs up I wasn't sure. Thanks for your help guys

08-18-10 07:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD