It's the Tmobile loophole. What he means is he doesn't need cellular data plan nor Wifi connection. It happened to me awhile back when I was using 8100 and bold 9k on tmobile prepaid. My suspection is bbm connection was mistakenly recognized as MMS.

Posted via Blackberry Passport
    But isn't MMS technically data but usually doesn't get accounted for in a data plan? It has to be transmitted somehow.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-17 06:33 PM
    But isn't MMS technically data but usually doesn't get accounted for in a data plan? It has to be transmitted somehow.

Posted via CB10
    Well there was plans back in the day that had unlimited BBM, but no data.
    05-18-17 06:44 PM
    Let chaps know what they are up to and why Facebook got fined >100 million in EU.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-17 06:40 AM
    Let chaps know what they are up to and why Facebook got fined >100 million in EU.

Posted via CB10
    Users don't care.
    05-19-17 07:27 AM
    Well there was plans back in the day that had unlimited BBM, but no data.
    And that was why BBM was so popular... back in the day Carriers here in the US charged for text messaging. Having a way to send hundred or thousand of messages without having to buy more of a texting allowance... made BBM useful. But texting became unlimited and BlackBerry started falling behind on capabilities... so BBM became a thing of the past here.

Make BBM "popular" again.... make it invisible. Streamline it (get rid of Channels) and incorporate SMS/MMS capabilities. Make BBM the TEXTING app for BlackBerry phones and for HUB+ users.
    05-19-17 07:45 AM
    And that was why BBM was so popular... back in the day Carriers here in the US charged for text messaging. Having a way to send hundred or thousand of messages without having to buy more of a texting allowance... made BBM useful. But texting became unlimited and BlackBerry started falling behind on capabilities... so BBM became a thing of the past here.

Make BBM "popular" again.... make it invisible. Streamline it (get rid of Channels) and incorporate SMS/MMS capabilities. Make BBM the TEXTING app for BlackBerry phones and for HUB+ users.
    I like the idea.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-17 07:58 AM
    Yes, great idea Dunt dunt duuuuunt!
    05-19-17 07:59 AM
    I agree completely. Make it polished and professional, like a universal corporate IM solution, capable of providing presence info, sending attachments, etc.

Make connecting via phone # an option, but preserve the PIN system for those who don't want to tie their personal cell number to BBM.

I would use that with all my clients over any other existing solution.

But, there needs to be a PC-based client available as well. Browser-based would be OK, I think.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    DrBoomBotz and anon(3641385) like this.
    05-19-17 08:14 AM
    Yes, great idea Dunt dunt duuuuunt!
    Yeah... too bad Apple is the one that taught of it. Or actually I think that was what Jim Balsillie planned with his idea to turn BBM Into ‘SMS 2.0’. If the Board had listened to him....
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    05-19-17 08:18 AM
    Get rid of some silly stickers.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-17 10:35 AM
    This is what I think should happen

First: fix the bugs!
    Second: Make the same UI for all OS's (IOS, Android, BB10).
    Third: Remove the stickers. or at least dont make them the default thing!
    fourth: Remove ads!
    Fifth: Advertise it << Please!
    anon(3641385) and Actn_Jksn like this.
    05-21-17 07:12 AM
    BBM is great because of its integration in BB10 but nothing special in android OS, just an average messaging app...

Posted via CB10
    05-21-17 07:16 AM
    With all the current messaging apps and Facebook now having its own messaging app with group features, I think the time has come and passed for BBM. I am still active in four groups and have several contacts that I still communicate with, but they should have focused on making it the dominant messaging app years ago and we would not be having these threads. Just my two cents worth.
    05-21-17 07:35 AM
    Don't want to rain on OP's parade but I don't think a small number of BlackBerry and BBM faithful can change the world of Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, or Viber, etc.
    05-21-17 11:23 AM
    Why BBM must become popular again?

Posted via CB10
    05-22-17 12:46 PM

Posted via CB10
    Fair question!

Posted via CB10
    05-22-17 01:11 PM

Posted via CB10
    The OP was just looking for ideas on how it might become popular again. Some of us feel it is still miles ahead of the other messengers in features so, naturally, wish more of our contacts would use it. Alas, Zuckerberg rules. Many feel that WA for BB10 was just a Trojan horse to get users for WA with the plan being to then can it.

BB, Still the One
    05-23-17 01:00 PM
    If all you Debbie downers would just think positively it can happen.
    This should help you get a new attitude.

05-23-17 01:43 PM
    If all you Debbie downers would just think positively it can happen.
    This should help you get a new attitude.

Yes, if L&S were Crackberrians, BBM would dominate. There is this Canadian guy who wins the lotto so much the police have investigated, finding nothing he is doing. I saw him interviewed on CBC television: he says he just really believes he will win, then he does!

BB, Still the One
    05-23-17 05:39 PM
    Things I would like to do with BBM but cannot (and maybe I can't with any other messaging app either):

Vote on a location/bar/venue to go to with friends.

Kick back to sms it they are not a bbm contact.

Hook into some up and coming social platform(like discord for example. I dont personnaly care but others might).

Buy stuff with tap to pay.

Send messages from a tablet or pc (ie. Tied to account, not device)

Defaulting to sms is a big one. Friends who rely on text won't bother installing bbm right now, but at least i could still use it.

Go to a shop front like Amazon and use it entirely with bbm (maybe that was the intent with channels).
    05-24-17 03:20 PM
    And i will add also:
    Integrate with a my car when driving. Why cant i send a voice message hands free,and have messages read back to ne hands free?i know the phone can do something close, but i am tired of wrestling with voice recognition when it could just send an actual voice message.

As for the original question, I'm not sure any of this would make BBM relevant again, but at least it might give me a better answer when someone asks why they should use yet another messaging app.
    05-24-17 04:02 PM
    Well if a bunch of the alternative messaging apps suffered from some sort of terrible virus or hack or security compromise, while BBM seamlessly remained reliable, for days on end, then that would probably make a lot of people think twice about their preference of messaging app. Certainly not something that I hope BlackBerry was counting on happening.

Not sure if I'd want BBM to be the one stop shop for all messaging (SMS, email, including also cross-compatibility with other messaging apps and iMessaging, etc...). I think I'd prefer an evolved Hub to fulfill that role.

If CB (and others) moved everything over to BBM (using channels, groups, discovery tab, etc....) that might help. However, I think BBM would have to first be evolved a bit to make anything like that desireable.

A desktop based PC version would also help, or something like a Blended-Hub/BBM to help with cross platform compatibility.
    05-24-17 04:26 PM
    BBM does have too many ads and sponsored invites. Don't like that. Interest seems to be pretty low in Canada and USA, but Asian countries appear to still be really into it. For example, this one channel I follow called "Everyday Carry" has tons of commenters and likes on each little post. The posts consist of a single pic of items a person might carry in their pocket. I find the commenters are all talking non-english, and look to be based in either Malaysia or Indonesia.

The nice thing with BBM, I like that you can interact with someone without having to disclose your phone number. It's a great tool for using in dating, and other scenarios where giving your primary number isn't always wise. The problem is less and less people using BBM.

The advantage WhatsApp has in terms of securing more users, is once you install it and it scans your number and address book, it's like you instantly have all these new contacts. It's just a premium extension of SMS, there is no real privacy and you still have to give out your phone number, which sucks in certain situations.

One idea which could help to open up BBM to more users, would be for BlackBerry to allow people to sign up with just their phone number instead of going through the whole PIN setup route. Similar to WhatsApp, while also maintaining the proprietary PIN method as well for those who opt for it. I don't know if this would be possible, but if it would allow an easier way for people to sign up and be reached then I can see it helping.
    Last edited by terminatorx; 05-24-17 at 05:09 PM.
    Actn_Jksn likes this.
    05-24-17 04:46 PM
    Well if a bunch of the alternative messaging apps suffered from some sort of terrible virus or hack or security compromise, while BBM seamlessly remained reliable, for days on end, then that would probably make a lot of people think twice about their preference of messaging app. Certainly not something that I hope BlackBerry was counting on happening.

Not sure if I'd want BBM to be the one stop shop for all messaging (SMS, email, including also cross-compatibility with other messaging apps and iMessaging, etc...). I think I'd prefer an evolved Hub to fulfill that role.

If CB (and others) moved everything over to BBM (using channels, groups, discovery tab, etc....) that might help. However, I think BBM would have to first be evolved a bit to make anything like that desireable.

A desktop based PC version would also help, or something like a Blended-Hub/BBM to help with cross platform compatibility.
    People may think twice but probably wouldn't switch. People aren't leaving Windows any time soon even though it is vulnerable.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-17 06:12 PM
    This ^
    terminatorx likes this.
    05-24-17 06:17 PM
119 ... 2345