I have the 8900 with Tmobile, and this morning while updating my phone, it was attached to my laptop going through the rebooting phase of installing the 5.0 software, and it fell off the table and disconnected.

I tried reconnecting it to see if it would continue but made no progress, so I closed the updater and pulled the battery. From here I had to make the phone start up, and it finished the bar where it says Blackberry which it was during previous to the shut off.

I noticed I had absolutely nothing, so I did a system restore back to last December. Problem is I went from having all my contacts, to none before the restore, to contacts 9 months old. All my business contacts and school have been lost. I'm hoping that there is a way to retrieve these, because they are vital.

It does not look like it backed up previous to the update this morning. It says last back up is never.

So any chance on getting those #'s back?
    09-02-10 10:55 AM
    Search your computer for *.ipd files. The backup, if one was made during the upgrade, should be in a format where the DATE is part of the filename.

Good luck.
    09-02-10 01:28 PM
    Only the one I had restored it to from last December. I'm assuming that was my only hope?
    09-03-10 11:58 PM
    During an upgrade DM should do a back-up. That's prior to the whole process. I still don't understand if u have "vital"info on yur device how can u not backing up at least once a month? Hope now u learn to do a back up often.
    09-04-10 09:17 PM
    Repeat the upgrade, it should pick up when it left off and continue to restore the original data set.

09-05-10 11:05 AM
    This thread makes me glad I have a backup routine. Most I will lose at any given time is about 1 weeks of windows updates.
    09-05-10 12:02 PM