So, I just had one of those moments where time slowed down and I could feel my heart pounding.

About a month after getting my very first Blackberry (my current 8900), I dropped it on the slabbed area of my garden.
    It was in the OEM sleeve but it landed on it's head and as such, had a big chunk missing from the top plate (where the lock and standby keys are).
    It also had a bit of the silver bezel missing and that started to process of the paint pealing away.
    Over the course of a couple of months, the entire 1 side of my BB started to flake away and it just looked like crap.

About a week ago, I ordered a new bezel, top plate, battery door, trackball and leather case (but this time it has a flap to cover the opening with only the corners showing) from sw-box.com and they came yesterday.
    I used the video tutorial I found on CrackBerry and had the job done in under 15 minutes.

So I was just chatting to a friend as we walked up the stairs at work and dropped my BB.
    I watched it bounce down 17 stairs and then hit the wall at the bottom.

On inspection..... Not a mark on it.
    Phone is in perfect working order, still looks brand new, and it's all thanks the a cheep leather case.
    11-26-09 04:13 AM
    My heart was beating fast reading your post. The ending was a real relief. My worst nightmare is dropping and seriously damaging my 9000. That would be akin to a death in the family.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-26-09 06:30 AM
    And people like you are why I really like this forum.
    I was just chatting to my partner and explaining what had happened and how happy I was, all she could say was "get a life, it's only a phone"

11-26-09 06:38 AM
    I remember that somepoint during the 1st week with my 8520 a guy bumped at me (I swear I was not using the phone walking!) and made my blackberry fly right up an arms reach above of me spinning.

Do you know those cartoon moments where somebody is trying to catch something that keeps bouncing? I've been there, done that, and thanks RIM, didn't drop my Curve...

I was so scared I didn't yell at the guy. Just tucked it into my pocket and ran home.
    11-26-09 07:26 AM
    So far, I haven't had anyone to blame for my mishaps.
    It has just me being a clumsy fool.

But I pity the fool that causes me to drop and damage my Berry!

11-26-09 08:08 AM
    I have been fortunate in not having any mishaps yet. I kept my blackberry in a rubber skin and carry in my pocket. So far so good!
    11-26-09 08:29 AM
    Is it normal that I started to sweat just a little bit when I read your thread title? Maybe this should be in CB Addict
    11-26-09 08:34 AM
    i DEFINITELY know this feeling. i replaced my housing after dropping it too many times, it looked horrible. now i never take my epik case off unless im in the house & over carpet lls.
    11-26-09 08:39 AM
    I did consider a rubber skin for a while but I decided to go for the leather one as it includes a magnet.
    That, combined with OS 5.0 and the deletion of a few battery heavy apps means I can get almost 3 days out of my battery.

I didn't consider my self an addict until I started to get upset when I looked at my battered Berry lol

11-26-09 08:40 AM
    I didn't consider my self an addict until I started to get upset when I looked at my battered Berry lol
    Enough to break your heart.
    11-26-09 02:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD