I am not trying to be negative or not one to post negative posts, but I am frustrated with my phone. Unless I am completely missing how to use this, I hate my new Z-10. I loved the Bold and had it far longer than my contract. It was easy to use and everything was on the front screen. I could get contacts, use my phone, look up phone numbers and get my schedule. I could use the rollerball to get text messages or to find the browser. But it was all on the front page. I had a real keyboard and could type on it without ever leaving the front screen.

I have had my Z-10 for about three months or more and I find it infuriating. The fact that the keyboard corrects EVERYTHING that I type is ok sometimes because the whole keyboard seems to shift to the left so my spelling is horrendous. But it also decides to insert completely different words (ex. toy every time I type you) and every time I use the M key, it deletes the letter in front because the back key is right next to it.
    Next is the hub. Rather than have everything on your front screen (because the default screen is your apps.) you have to thumb over to the hub. Then you have to thumb over to whatever you are looking for; two more hits for text messages, one more for each of the email accounts and so forth. It is not a convenient hub that has everything in one place, but is more a traffic cop that directs you to whatever you need. Again, more steps than before.

If I want to get a phone number from my contacts, I can’t get them from the contacts/search on my phone screen. I have to minimize this and go to my contacts. Then I can’t dial from those but have to go back to the phone. And when I dial, or especially when I answer a call, I have to swipe and swipe the phone because it won’t answer the call. I have lost calls because of this. Oh yes, and you can ignore a call by swiping sideways, but the call stays on screen until voice mail takes over, so you can’t go back to whatever else you were doing on the phone until the phone decides.

I just upgraded, at the phones suggestion, to the newest OS, and now when I go to the settings screen or the apps world screen, the whole phone goes black for several seconds and you have to wait for the new screen to come up. Several seconds may not mean much, but when you are using the phone constantly all day, it means a lot of wasted time.

Since I mentioned settings, the settings screen is several screen over and you have to go to it to mute your phone, another function that I used to do more easily on the old phone. That and other settings are not as convenient or intuitive on this phone and it all takes longer.

I don’t need a lot of apps. I use my phone as a business phone. I want to make calls, check email, schedule my days (as well as synch with my desktop computer and five email accounts), use my browser, and get reports etc on my phone. It is an important part of my business and my daily life. However, the desktop blackberry link can no longer do a two way synch but only transfers my desktop appointments to my phone and not the other way. It also overwrites whatever is there rather than include the new information. This is not a convenient business phone but is a big disappointment.

I just bought a new car. It has the en tune application so that I can connect to a host of services. However, the Z-10 doesn’t support this program so I am out of luck there.

I am disappointed. When all my friends (and family) went to the IPhone or Droid, I stayed with Blackberry and defended them as the business phone. Now I am stuck with a contract that doesn’t allow me to get a new phone for two years. It will cost me a great deal to get a new phone now that actually will accommodate my business needs. If the old Bold hadn’t crapped out, I would go back to that perhaps. Although, I have a feeling that the old phones will fade away as new generations of applications make them obsolete.

I know there are more things that I have noticed, but these are the ones that stuck with me today as I tried to use my phone. I find myself avoiding using it and will wait until I get back in the office to make calls or work on my computer. That hurts my effectiveness. I am not a technological wizard, but I am not a dinosaur either. I am just a business man who wants a phone that satisfies my needs rather than a phone that is loaded with all sorts of apps I don’t need.
    Last edited by dan124; 08-09-13 at 10:28 PM.
    1raygin likes this.
    08-09-13 06:04 PM
    Seems a bit of what you're experiencing is a bit of misuse of the phone but a lot of it is also understandable.

-I have had my Q-10 for about three months or more and I find it infuriating. The fact that the keyboard corrects EVERYTHING that I type is ok sometimes because the whole keyboard seems to shift to the left so my spelling is horrendous.-

Disable auto-correct or fine tune it. Also, shifty keyboard? What?

- Next is the hub. Rather than have everything on your front screen (because the default screen is your apps.) you have to thumb over to the hub. Then you have to thumb over to whatever you are looking for; two more hits for text messages, one more for each of the email accounts and so forth. -

Ya, some people just don't like the Hub or find it unproductive. Can't argue that.

-
    If I want to get a phone number from my contacts, I can’t get them from the contacts/search on my phone screen. I have to minimize this and go to my contacts. Then I can’t dial from those but have to go back to the phone.-

This seems odd. You can type things such as "call Chri" and things should start auto-populating for you. Quick actions as they call them, I've never gone to my contacts ever, though you even if you do, you don't have to exit back to the phone to call someone. That's a bit silly, you can just call them by tapping on their # in the contacts app.

-
    Since I mentioned settings, the settings screen is several screen over and you have to go to it to mute your phone, another function that I used to do more easily on the old phone. That and other settings are not as convenient or intuitive on this phone and it all takes longer.-

The settings screen does have a bit of delay, it's actually fixed in later versions of the OS so there's that.
    08-09-13 06:10 PM
    Oh yes, and this phone pocket dials far more than any phone I have had. And if you want to look up a number by retouching the last call, don't do it. It calls the last call. As a matter of fact, it will indiscriminately call people as you scroll through your list of phone calls.
    08-09-13 06:14 PM
    Wondering why you are having such difficulty with the Q10. I use my Q10 for work my Z10 for personal use. Both phones are great. The Q helps me to be more productive at work. Typing is a breeze on such a great keyboard. Shortcuts are fab. Browser is amazing. I have Gmail and Outlook accounts on the phone they both sync with my computer beautifully. Texting, BBM, phone quality, keyboard, browser, calendar....all is great.
    What carrier are you with?
    Sorry you are having so many issues.
    08-09-13 06:15 PM
    One way to eliminate pocket calling is to go into settings and disable gestures on locked screen.
    08-09-13 06:16 PM
    Actually, I haven't posted before despite being disappointed with the phone because it is my first touch screen phone and I thought perhaps I needed some time to get used to it. But it has been several months, so I don't think it's me. If I am not understanding the applications or if there is an easier way to use my phone, I would appreciate your advice.
    08-09-13 06:18 PM
    Verizon Wireless and there have been problems with them because I live in a rural area and don't always have the best signal. Thanks for the advice on pocket calling.
    08-09-13 06:20 PM
    That sucks that you are having some problems. Sounds to me like the Q10 might have been a better option for you. Anyway, the community is here to help. Hope you find the solutions you need.

As it is Zed, so let it be written, so let it be done.
    08-09-13 08:20 PM
    If I want to get a phone number from my contacts, I can't get them from the contacts/search on my phone screen. I have to minimize this and go to my contacts. Then I can't dial from those but have to go back to the phone.
    A lot of this comes from holding things.
    In phone hold the contact or call you are talking about and wait for the menu on the right to come up. From there you can:
    View call details,
    copy number,
    View contact, etc.

In contacts, you really have to just hit the number and it calls, but you can also hold down the contact to, again, get the menu to do more stuff:
    Call,
    Email,
    Text,
    Invite,
    Etc.

All about holding down items and using the overflow menu.
    It gets very fast when you get used to it. You can just drag what you're holding on to the right item in the overflow menu and 'flow' to what you want.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-13 09:07 PM
    User error..
    trsbbs likes this.
    08-09-13 09:09 PM
    He knows in part that it might be user error, and he is welcoming suggestions and remedies to things. You are just going to say user error and leave it at that?
    08-09-13 09:21 PM
    Question here....now what phone are you using? the thread title says Z10, somewhere in your post you say Q10. Which one is it?

Posted via CB10
    08-09-13 09:25 PM
    I'm not sure if I read it correctly but it seems you are trying to swipe over to the settings app. You can access your settings simply by swiping down from the top of the screen.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-13 09:30 PM
    At first for me it was difficult to get used to a touch screen smart phone, it was my first one ever (Z10). But now i find it productive and easy to use. It is fast and smooth. I have learned to use it with ease.

BB Z10 Rocks!
    08-09-13 09:30 PM
    Another long winded original post hating on bb10.

This original post brought to you by Samsung.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-13 09:33 PM
    # Keyboard
    Settings > Language and input > Prediction and correction > Auto-correct with spacebar > OFF

# M "deletes" a word
    Learn to hit the M properly

# HUB
    Swipe over for HUB or in any app, swipe up from the bottom, hold, and swipe over to the right. Yes, to access a particular account, you'll have to make a further step. But remember, for let's say composing a new message, you don't have to access the particular account first. The only scenario where the HUB might be inconvenient, is if you look up old and already read messages frequently. Otherwise I don't know why the HUB would actually bother you.

# Phone numbers
    Phone > Contacts > start typing contacts name > click on contact > klick on number > it starts dialing

or

Contacts > click on contact > click on phone number that says "call mobile" below > it starts dialing

# Answering a call
    Press and hold the grey horizontal bar in the middle of the screen and pull it straight downwards till the bottom end of the screen to answer the call. To dismiss the call, pull the grey bar straight upwards till the top end of the screen (there is NO sideway swiping involved here!)

# Muting the phone
    On the homescreen or in the HUB, pull down the options menu from the top bezel > Click on the bell icon beside "Notifications". it will instantly mute the phone. by clicking the bell icon you can switch between "normal" and the last used profile (i.e. "silent")

Posted via CB10
    web99 likes this.
    08-09-13 09:49 PM
    He knows in part that it might be user error, and he is welcoming suggestions and remedies to things. You are just going to say user error and leave it at that?
    Well he stated that this is his first touch screen phone so it may take some time to really understand the device.. This OS is completely different than previous BlackBerrys.. A lot of these issues are understandable, but can be avoided by having experience with the device..

BlackBerry isn't made for everybody.. I have been disappointed with my Z for quite some time myself because I know it could be better.. if it wasn't for side loading I would be using something else.. The people who get the most out of BlackBerry really inderstand the device and platform! When you get the most out of it, that's when you are able to really enjoy it!

So Dan, just give it some time and you will learn to LOVE it! I mean if you are stuck in a contract, just try to make the most of what you have. Read the forums, plenty of people will help you get the most out of your device!
    DJM626 likes this.
    08-09-13 09:49 PM
    I too am a long time BB user/abuser and find the Z10 somewhat troublesome. Many times I have to swipe three or four tries from the left to get out of what I just drilled won ton in the hub. I too find the contacts infuriating. I use Outlook.com and if I make the mistake of putting a cell phone number in the "work number" field, the number/user does not show up in the phone contacts list. Took days to figure that out. Also, any edits made to an Outlook.com contact from the phone will save the contact to Outlook.com, Local contacts, and into the SIM contacts: annoying.

I love the device, but there are plenty of areas to finesse. I understand the OP and concur with some items.
    08-09-13 09:53 PM
    Thanks, I appreciate it and will continue to try to use the phone and learn. There are some tings that are clunky, but I appreciate all the suggestions here. I have had Blackberrys for the longest time and also own the Playbook, so I would like this to work.
    08-09-13 10:27 PM
    Thanks, I appreciate the suggestions.
    08-09-13 10:29 PM
    Many times I have to swipe three or four tries from the left to get out of what I just drilled won ton in the hub.
    Press and hold the Back button in the bottom left corner and drag it to the right. Works in many other apps as well (i.e. the CB10 app).

Posted via CB10
    08-09-13 10:38 PM
    I don't know if it will help but when I am in the hub and I want to see a specific contact I simply click compose and type their name. It populates the list alphabetically.

As someone mentioned above the settings screen can be accessed by swiping from the top of the screen down.

Hope this helps and with practice on the screen hopefully that m thing will work out for you.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-13 10:43 PM
    Whatever word you type will show up above the space bar with the corrected word showing up in green on the space bar. If you don't want the word corrected then just swipe the space bar up rather then pushing space.

Posted via Z10
    08-09-13 10:47 PM
    Press and hold the Back button in the bottom left corner and drag it to the right. Works in many other apps as well (i.e. the CB10 app).

Sure, but you have to press and hold the space bar or two finger swipe down on the screen to get to the back arrow. More steps. But thank you, I'll look into this.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-13 07:40 AM
    Whatever word you type will show up above the space bar with the corrected word showing up in green on the space bar. If you don't want the word corrected then just swipe the space bar up rather then pushing space.

Posted via Z10
    Yeah but I find that really annoying, especially when the difference between the two words is marginal. You have always to stop typing and concentrate to pick the right one of the two, which slows down the flow horrendously. That's why I turned auto-correction completely off.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-13 08:18 AM
32 12